UKC

Counties of the UK with NO climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 26 Sep 2013
Ok this is an evolution from this thread http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=564375 asking about places to go abseiling in Wiltshire.

I said:
> I'm sure Ian Parnell claims that Wiltshire is the only County in the UK with nowhere to go climbing in it...

Dave_88 then said:
> Surely Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Middlesex, Surrey and many more are completely devoid of climbing opportunities?

I replied:
> You'd think so but maybe they all have some alarming choss pit esoterica that just about counts as climbing to rock-starved locals?

So which counties of the UK have no climbing? In fact I'd be very happy to extend it to the British Isles if any Irish climbers want to chip in with any of their counties which are crappy places to live if you are a climber.

So is Wiltshire really one; and what others are there? We can happily argue over what constitutes climbing; no buildings allowed I don't think but quarries are obviously fine.
 Bulls Crack 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

depends if you count man-made structures (not climbing walls obviously) If you do I'd say none.
In reply to TobyA: I haven't done a search but Lincolnshire springs to mind...
 SteveoS 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Essex?!
 ripper 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA: Norfolk springs to mine
 TonyB 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Hampshire
 Bulls Crack 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:
> (In reply to TobyA) I haven't done a search but Lincolnshire springs to mind...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=12366 !
OP TobyA 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TonyB:

> Hampshire

Take your tools (and almost certainly a sense of desperation and self-loathing) by the looks of it http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3841
In reply to TobyA:

Northamptonshire
 jjclarke70 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Suffolk
 BnB 26 Sep 2013
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to TobyA) Norfolk springs to mine

As the saying goes: Norfolk 'n' good.
 TonyB 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> Take your tools (and almost certainly a sense of desperation and self-loathing) by the looks of it http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3841

or drive the few miles to Dorset and go to Swanage.

Denni 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

20 mins from us Toby, you'd have to be really desperate to go there!

Saying that, have seen a few people taking their chances dry tooling/ top roping it with various degrees of failure, not a pleasant place.
 Bulls Crack 26 Sep 2013
In reply to willexodus:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> Northamptonshire

Sorry: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=16771
OP TobyA 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack: Artificial, sorry - don't think that counts.

Surrey has a scramble recorded up a chalk gully. That's a much more complex debate I feel. http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3707
 Dave 88 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Are we counting tooling chalk? If so I'm pretty sure every county has something to climb, including Wiltshire.
 Rubbishy 26 Sep 2013
In reply to SteveoS:

Nope, plenty of chalk cliff climbing (and a police caution ) on offer there

i doubt i would get away with doing that at Bluewater these days.
OP TobyA 26 Sep 2013
In reply to John Rushby:

> Nope, plenty of chalk cliff climbing (and a police caution ) on offer there

Only bridges recorded in the UKC database John. So I think you better name the chalk pits where people have climbed, even if you don't name the climbers.
 Rubbishy 26 Sep 2013
In reply to John Rushby:

oh and Derbyshire.

Some people who have never been north of Wakefield reckon it has good climbing but us wise ones in the People's Republic of Yorkshire know better*

This excludes the nits and bobs that sneak into South Yorkshire.
 Rubbishy 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Loads of chalk around Essex and the bomb lobbers and sloppy signallers barracks south of London.

Climbed quite a bit of it ad hoc with a few lurkers on here

Maybe i should do the Chossfax Southern Shite guidebook.

btw - got any warthogs for sale?

I feel like a meth addict lurking around walls and Ice Factor asking if anyone has warthogs for sale
 Jon Stewart 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack) Artificial, sorry - don't think that counts.
>
> Surrey has a scramble recorded up a chalk gully. That's a much more complex debate I feel. http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3707

I absolutely love the fact that this is in the UK Climbing database, there's photos and grades and comments and everything. Brilliant.
 ebygomm 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

North Lincolnshire

(UKC only seems to recognise ceremonial counties though)

It does apparently have some bouldering

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=10530
Bingers 26 Sep 2013
In reply to willexodus:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> Northamptonshire

I grew up learning to climb at Finedon Pits. It may not have been pretty, but it started a passion.
 Trevers 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Hertfordshire
 JMarkW 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Middlesex?
OP TobyA 26 Sep 2013
In reply to petegunn: And winter "climbing" it would appear! http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=18755
 frankcp87 26 Sep 2013
 Neils 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA: salisbury also has chalk quarries.
 Babika 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:
Warwickshire?
 Jon Stewart 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to petegunn) And winter "climbing" it would appear! http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=18755

People often make the analogy between climbing and drug addiction. This thread reminds me of the time, as a student many years ago, I tried to make a spliff out of carpet fluff containing tiny bits of weed gathered from an unhoovered carpet.
 Tyler 26 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Rutland
 Tom Last 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Trevers:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
>
> Hertfordshire

Hertfordshire has climbing. Chalk, conglomerate and puddingstone.
In reply to Bingers:
> (In reply to willexodus)
> [...]
>
> I grew up learning to climb at Finedon Pits. It may not have been pretty, but it started a passion.

Nice. I started on some derelict farm buildings near Pitsford reservoir.
 SteveoS 27 Sep 2013
In reply to John Rushby:

I'd buy one for the novelty.
 beardy mike 27 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA: Wiltshire has one of the most famous set of boulders in the world. What ARE you on about? No climbing... Bah...
OP TobyA 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Tom Last:

> Hertfordshire has climbing. Chalk, conglomerate and puddingstone.

Anything in the UKC database (or a guidebook?)?

What is puddingstone by the way? Sounds great, although probably not as a climbing medium.

Tony the Blade 27 Sep 2013
 Jonny2vests 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Lincs has greetwell quarry. I've never climbed there, but it was a favourite venue for war games and naughtyness as a child of the 70s. I refuse to believe it has anything remotely worth tying on for.

There's also buildering in the arboretum, but i don't think we should count that.
 Muel 27 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I live in Sheffield, tis rubbish.
 Choss 27 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Wiltshire has possibilities in and around Box Quarry Caves, and has the excellent Avebury and Stonehenge bouldering parks.

People from Oxfordshire seem to bemoan their lack of rock a lot.
 Mal Grey 27 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack) Artificial, sorry - don't think that counts.
>
> Surrey has a scramble recorded up a chalk gully. That's a much more complex debate I feel. http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3707

I was looking at these gullies on a snowy day the winter before last. They actually looked quite good. In fact, I was underequipped for an attempt on this magnificent face, as I only had wellies and a packet of crisps. I shall return one day, with full winter gear, to be laughed at by 10000 kids, probably trundling snowmen down at me.
 Doug 27 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA: I've climbed on chalk in Hertfordshire (near Ivinghoe) & also in Buckinghamshire (not sure, maybe Pitstone in the old quarries). I also climbed a little (scrambling woulc be more accurate) on some crumbly, sandstone seacliffs at Walton on the Naze, Essex when on a geology field trip (sorry sir, but I thought I could see some fossils up there.....)
 Tom Last 27 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby, no nothing worth recording really - except the puddingstone, allegedly. As with most southeastern counties, the chalk outcrops are scattered here and there in small pockets. The conglomerate is in Ware (and probably elsewhere) and is only bouldering height and very, very loose (think Hastings sandstone only worse) - I had a go for about five minutes and stopped before I brought the whole lot down!

The puddingstone is apparently the best of the lot. I think it's another sort of conglomerate. It was alluded to on here some years ago as being very secretive, on private land in woods, near the the M25 around St Albans and apparently of reasonably good quality rock the length of short routes. I moved to Cornwall shortly after hearing about it, so never tried too hard to find it - but anyway, it's a bit of a needle in a haystack.
 Doug 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Toby
For a photo of some of the best rock that Buckinghamshire can offer, see
http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/File%3AHertfordshire%20Puddingstone%2C%20Lee%...

(I think I have climbed this as a teenager, probably after a few beers in the nearby Cock & Rabbit)
 SGD 27 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA: I was going co suggest the West Midlands but...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=16365

Babika 27 Sep 2013
In reply to SGD:
Those are superb pictures.
I feel a trip coming on
 MikeTS 27 Sep 2013
In reply to TonyB:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> Hampshire

A long time ago when I was young and there was a very hard snowy winter, I took my dad ice/snow climbing in a quarry near Southampton.

knighty 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Tom Last:

Tell me more! I'd love to find where this 'secret' rock is.

Can anyone tell me where the St Albans Puddingstone is?
 maxsmith 27 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA: Cambs and Beds
 JimboWizbo 27 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA: Warwickshire has one rock, on private property
 Tom Last 27 Sep 2013
In reply to knighty:
> (In reply to Tom Last)
>
> Tell me more! I'd love to find where this 'secret' rock is.
>
>

You and me both, it'd make Christmas visits a little more interesting.

I'm not sure if the St Albans bit was originally quoted, or if I worked that out. I think they said it was in woodland less than a mile from the M25 and looking at maps St Albans area seemed most likely. Let me know if you find out
 Tom Last 27 Sep 2013
In reply to maxsmith:
> (In reply to TobyA) Cambs

Cambridgeshire has climbing at Cherry Hinton chalk quarry, had a couple of interesting days there!
 maxsmith 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Tom Last: I stand corrected! what a fine crag..
 jwi 27 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA: Reminds me of an old article in Rock & Ice by John Sherman (I think?), about his quest to climb a technical rock climb in every state of USA. He managed to tick Florida if I remember correctly but was frustrated by some other southern state (Louisiana perhaps?)
 Reach>Talent 27 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:
Wiltshire has a fair bit of climbing, just that it is almost universally banned or utterly awful! Some interesting bouldering near Amesbury, some tottering quarries near the A419 and alledgedly some climbing in a cutting near Marlborough and there is always the Sarson stones near the Marlborough gallops.
 Big Steve 27 Sep 2013
In reply to maxsmith: Theres dry tooling in Bedfordshire on the chalk, not the best but still there. Look around Kensworth Quarry or around Totternhoe if its still there
 webbo 27 Sep 2013
In reply to ebygomm:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> North Lincolnshire
>
> (UKC only seems to recognise ceremonial counties though)
>
> It does apparently have some bouldering
>
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=10530
I think this is now buried under
landfill
 Tom Last 27 Sep 2013
In reply to maxsmith:
> (In reply to Tom Last) I stand corrected! what a fine crag..

In a lower league all of its own!
 Fat Bumbly2 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: Apart from some dodgy limestone at Ludlow, I learned to climb on bales. Getting used to loose blocks from an early age.
 Bulls Crack 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Babika:
> (In reply to TobyA)
> Warwickshire?

No - a veritable climbers playground!
 Yanis Nayu 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack: It is?
OP TobyA 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:
> Apart from some dodgy limestone at Ludlow

Where would that be then? Wenlock Edge isn't too far and that's rather nice limestone.
 DaveN 27 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA: I can think of a few chalk pits towards pewsey. There's possibly some frozen turf oppurtunities as well, but provably don't come in often.

Bouldering at avebury!
 Bulls Crack 27 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Fat Bumbly2)
> [...]
>
> Where would that be then? Wenlock Edge isn't too far and that's rather nice limestone.

Nice? Its geologically famous for being, well, not nice isn't it?
 Bulls Crack 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Babika)
> [...]
>
> No - a veritable climbers playground!

Its got several entries on the database
 Fat Bumbly2 28 Sep 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack: No, below the castle. Same hill as Wenlock Edge which is part of a limestone ridge (split by rivers) running from Wellingtonn to the south of Radnorshire. Lots of quarries but some of the worst rock imaginable. Ippikins is the good bit.
OP TobyA 29 Sep 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack: Well I enjoyed the routes I did there and don't remember them being loose at all.

In comparison to Worcestershire sandstone it's about as good as it gets!
 Al Evans 29 Sep 2013
 mbh 29 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

As a child growing up in north Wiltshire in the 70s, I found some caves at the top of a wooded hill side just before you get to Slaughterford, coming from Biddestone, above the lovely Bibrook river. I remember bridging on actual rock. I'm looking at the 1:25000 OS map of the area that I used at the time, on which I measured distances with bits of string, or by rolling a coin.
davidw3 03 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA: Suffolk, as mentioned ! The UKC Logbook does record an artificial [?outside] climb in Felixstowe. Live here, I am afraid. Its very good for quiet roads for cycling, and undulating running trails though. Artificial, I know, but there is The Cragg at Stowmarket Leisure Centre.
 Offwidth 03 Oct 2013
In reply to jwi:

No way Louisiana was ever going to defeat the Verm.

http://www.seclimbers.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=11...
Some great chalk pits in Hampshire if you have some axes and big kahunas!
 mbh 03 Oct 2013
In reply to Mike Peacock:

No, it was not at that location. It is 40 years ago, so I can't really remember what it looked like, but it was something like that, I think, with a vertical cleft we could go right into. It was at the top of a steeply wooded hillside. Looking at the map, there is a quarry round about where I think we were, on sheet ST87, GR 845738, so it was probably that.
 Tim Davies 03 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Another vote for Rutland.

But didn't uppingham produce quite a good climber back in the 80s?
 jcw 03 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Davies: You mean Mike? Or his kid brother?
 shantaram 04 Oct 2013
In reply to SGD: Who has awarded a star to Turners Hill summit?
 Tru 04 Oct 2013
In reply to knighty:

Fancy going on a hunt for this secret Herts rock? Where are you based?

I've climbed on the conglomerate in Ware and it's like trying to climb a cassarole, not worth the trip.

But this puddingstone sounds interesting and that picture proves there is some solid-ish rock in the county.
Clauso 04 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Florida doesn't have much.
 David Rose 04 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA: There is some solid reef limestone with micro Karst features on Cumnor and Wytham hills outside Oxford, but though there are lots of little bits that outcrop I am unaware of any that are more than waist high. If anyone knows of any, please post, because the rock looks quite good.
 Al Evans 04 Oct 2013
In reply to davidoldfart:
> (In reply to TobyA) There is some solid reef limestone with micro Karst features on Cumnor and Wytham hills outside Oxford, but though there are lots of little bits that outcrop I am unaware of any that are more than waist high.

Then dig down, excavate the base

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...