UKC

Rugby World Cup

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pencilled in 08 Sep 2023

Right then, an encouraging first game beckons - what’s going to happen? Who will win? Where are you watching? What have the refs been briefed to watch closely? 

Predictions, grievances, celebrations - send them here…

In reply to pencilled in:

Ireland, France or New Zealand, nothing like sitting on the fence....

Edit, that’s for the tournament winner. 

Post edited at 19:49
 Derry 08 Sep 2023

good first half so far for the opener. France relying on along kicking game, the ABs making some costly errors. Gonna be a good 2nd 40!

OP pencilled in 08 Sep 2023
In reply to Derry:

Both sides really hitting their tech excellence. That Moanga tackle was something else. 
The sustained pressure from France, calculated risks, basics done right continually, glimpses of DuPont being DuPont. After a dull opening ceremony this is supreme from France. 

Hat Dude 08 Sep 2023

It's not fair!!!!

Both teams playing a totally different game to England

FactorXXX 09 Sep 2023

> Predictions, grievances, celebrations - send them here…

The rugby was typical of a first game in a major tournament - lots of nervousness and mistakes, possibly made worse by the high temperatures.
France looking good, but the score differential perhaps hides New Zealand's potential.
What happened with the anthems?  Not sure if my TV coverage was somehow out of synch, but they were absolutely awful.
The ITV coverage is absolutely dire, no passion and no real attempt to engage with the game that is about to start.  Instead, they insisted on boring in-depth studio analysis from the likes of Jonny 'Jumpers for Goalposts' Wilkinson.
Also, far too many adverts and early indications are that there is going to be an England bias to all of their coverage. 

FactorXXX 09 Sep 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

Another thing, the backdrop to the weird lectern thing is obviously false. 
Are they actually in France?

OP pencilled in 09 Sep 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

Its desperately dire coverage but there we are. 
Weird seeing Paolo Odogwu in an Italy shirt, I haven’t got used to that. Namibia just weren’t fit enough despite early promise of well drilled attacking pods and lines. 
Ireland’s plan of running everything from their 22 went awry at first, but they look strong and composed. 

earlsdonwhu 09 Sep 2023
In reply to Christheclimber:

Amazed you seem to be writing off South Africa.

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Edit: That’s France, Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa...... 

Wainers44 09 Sep 2023

Right, so, red card, hmm, not the ideal start for England....

Dewi Williams 09 Sep 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

I tuned in 15 mins before the start of the France v NZ game. At no point did the team lineups  appear on screen, I had to go online to check. Tuned in tonight 15 mins before the start of England's game, no team lineups shown at all.  ITV really are rubbish at rugby presentation.

Gabe Oliver 09 Sep 2023

France South Africa final for me. Hoping Scotland go well even though I'm technically English 

Wainers44 09 Sep 2023
In reply to Wainers44:

OK, unusual tactics to play almost the entire game with only 14, but it worked. 

What a dominant defensive performance that was from England. Dan Cole dominated his man throughout, great energy and timing from the likes of Earls and Tuilagi, very encouraging all round. 
Curry though let his heart manage that tackle. I still think it was borderline rugby incident but the law is the law! I hope Wales ( edit and Scotland) come through with confidence too. 

Post edited at 22:27

Ford has obviously nudged to the top of the selection pecking order. He outscored Johnny Sexton, who scored two tries!

FactorXXX 10 Sep 2023

> Ford has obviously nudged to the top of the selection pecking order. He outscored Johnny Sexton, who scored two tries!

What an absolutely weird game.
England down to fourteen and Argentina seemed to do everything possible not to capitalise on that.
Not sure if it proved if England have improved dramatically attack wise as they scored no tries and instead relied on the brilliance of Ford to kick all the points made available by Argentina's woeful performance.  Will be interesting to see if Ford retains the 10 shirt once Farrell becomes available as Ford was absolutely outstanding.
As for the ITV coverage, I assume that the other Home Nation games will have the same blanket all Home Nation commentary/punditry team as for this match... 

OP pencilled in 10 Sep 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

Sadly the Scotland game has Habana on mic with a couple of Scots.

Tight first quarter, but boy this Bok team knows how to pressurise. 

drunken monkey 10 Sep 2023

Some piss poor refereeing (or lack of it) in this game. Head on head tackle on Dempsey (where's the consistency?) and a punch on Graham. Neither looked at by the refs.

sporky 10 Sep 2023
In reply to drunken monkey:

Terrible reffing in Wales vs Fiji. Fiji were robbed.

OP pencilled in 11 Sep 2023
In reply to sporky:

What a game though! And of all players to knock on at the end. Wales pushed their luck defending that line and Fiji got the yellow that had been brewing in the ref’s mind. Tompkins is an amazing player. 

sporky 11 Sep 2023

It was a great game but spoiled by the reffing. Wales got three final warnings and no card for all those fouls on their try line, and Fiji shouldn't have had that try disallowed. OK Fiji lost with that knockon but a desperate last second try wouldn't have been needed with fair reffing.

I'm going off rugby these days because it seems that in about a quarter of matches the ref decides who wins. Even if these matches aren't decided on actual ref bias (which the Fiji one was IMO), too many matches seem to hang on a single decision that can be arbitary.

65 11 Sep 2023
In reply to sporky:

> I'm going off rugby these days because it seems that in about a quarter of matches the ref decides who wins. Even if these matches aren't decided on actual ref bias (which the Fiji one was IMO), too many matches seem to hang on a single decision that can be arbitary.

A France or Scotland follower might argue that this is not new though at least Craig Joubert has retired.

On the other hand, France and Scotland rugby fans have much to be cheerful about these days, the South Africa game aside. 

OP pencilled in 11 Sep 2023
In reply to 65:

I think all professional sport share the consistency problem. (India and DRS for example, even Football which is swimming in money). It’s certainly testing our patience as ‘enjoyers of the game’. 

Ben Callard 11 Sep 2023
In reply to sporky:

Also Dan Biggar.  He needs to chill out. 

Dewi Williams 11 Sep 2023
In reply to Ben Callard:

The clock had gone to red at the end of the first half and Wales tried running it our from their own line. I was screaming at the TV for them to kick it out so I don't blame Dan Biggar for getting mad.

OP pencilled in 12 Sep 2023

I honestly thought Jessie Kriel would have been cited by now. 🤷‍♀️ 

duncan b 12 Sep 2023
In reply to pencilled in

> I honestly thought Jessie Kriel would have been cited by now. 🤷‍♀️ 

Looks like he's going to get away with it. https://www.the42.ie/jesse-kriel-citing-6165928-Sep2023/

I also thought Wales were Lucky to get away without a second yellow. In fairness to the ref however, I think he gave Wales one (not three) final warning and, at the first Wales infringement after this (albeit some time later) he did card Domachowski. I thought the Fijian yellow was pretty clear cut tbh, despite the lack of earlier infringements. The maul was travelling to the try line very quickly before it was illegally brought down. 

Post edited at 08:43
 Ben Callard 12 Sep 2023
In reply to Dewi Williams:

It was just very unprofessional, and these guys are supposed to be professionals. 

People make mistakes, but it doesn't mean you should be disrespectful. 

Bottom Clinger 14 Sep 2023

Red red green red green green amber. 

OP pencilled in 14 Sep 2023
In reply to duncan b:

Fair points, all. I must stop my subconscious support of Wales. For the record I support England. 
I don’t really know what to say about the social media backlash on the ref. He’s experienced, optics are often not fully understood (as you rightly pointed out), it’s a time of change and I just think it’s a terrible sign of the times in rugby. 
There is and has always been a consistency problem at every level. I’m not saying we should stop striving for it, but we should be more used to it by now. 

Still, there are some promising games for the home nations players this weekend in the main. 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

So predictable. 

duncan b 14 Sep 2023

Nigel Owen's "whistle watch" is always worth a watch. Supposedly the officials couldn't be 100% sure there was head contact in the Kriel incident - https://youtu.be/UUvxnpyYJ6w?si=pp6gJBhHeVYGa7wg

Incidentally, is anyone else finding the ITV coverage is little disappointing? There is often zero discussion on tactics.

In reply to duncan b:

Cheers - yeah I usually have time to check in with rational experts but I’ve hit a busy week. 

I feel like turning the sound down sometimes and listening to the radio sometimes. Tabloid TV at best. Occasionally I watch the pundits for a giggle. Sir Clive seems to be slurring his words slightly, he’s certainly looking like he’s reached that age of accelerated older appearance. I don’t mind Johnny Wilkinson at all; I mean I don’t really listen to what he says but that bloke has a special place in my mind and he is blanket forgiven for spouting shite. 

OP pencilled in 15 Sep 2023

Conversely, I’ve got loads of time for Sean Fitz, George Gregan and Rory Best who are covering the NZ Namibia game.

Derry 15 Sep 2023

I was just thinking the same thing. All great objective viewpoints and know what they're talking about. 

Does anyone know what happened to the Namibian centre? Got injured but none of the commentators actually said what happened, and I must have missed it on the telly, as there wasn't any replays. Not that I actually enjoy watching injuries, makes me squeemish, but just seemed odd they didn't comment on it more than "looked like a serious injury"

OP pencilled in 16 Sep 2023
In reply to Derry:

Twitter suggests it’s ankle. Horrific. Best wishes to Malan for recovery. 

the sheep 17 Sep 2023

Bring on today’s games, the Boks should have an easy game. Australia Vs Fiji is the stand out game for me. I so hope Fiji take the victory! England should beat Japan but given our recent form anything is possible!!

gribble 17 Sep 2023
In reply to the sheep:

Fiji are good value so far! 

the sheep 17 Sep 2023
In reply to gribble:

What a start for the second half

Wainers44 17 Sep 2023
In reply to the sheep:

Good game. Fiji doing really well 

Wainers44 17 Sep 2023
In reply to Wainers44:

Not a good game, a great game 

gribble 17 Sep 2023

Wow. That was special. 

the sheep 17 Sep 2023
In reply to gribble:

That was awesome 

On the edge of my seat but so happy for them 

Dewi Williams 17 Sep 2023
In reply to the sheep:

Great result for Fiji. Not sure it's a good result for Wales as it blows the group wide open. Wales may come to regret allowing Fiji to get 2 losing bonus points.

earlsdonwhu 17 Sep 2023

Would have thought Wales were just blooming grateful not to have lost!

OP pencilled in 17 Sep 2023

Wales v Australia could be a big game.

earlsdonwhu 17 Sep 2023

It's a good job Wilkinson could play rugby..... listening to him discuss drop goals is like listening to a turnip discussing Proust.

Dr.S at work 17 Sep 2023
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> It's a good job Wilkinson could play rugby..... listening to him discuss drop goals is like listening to a turnip discussing Proust.

Reminded me of Captain Kirk climbing a mountain.

earlsdonwhu 17 Sep 2023
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

.......or maybe Proust discussing turnips?

Derry 17 Sep 2023

> Wales v Australia could be a big game.

After today, this will definitely be the most anticipated game of the pools... until Scotland play Ireland if/when the Irish beat SA. Great rugby!!!

OP pencilled in 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Derry:

Its a key weekend for sure. I’m gutted about DuPont. Some of the play he was pushing through was astounding against Namibia and I was settling back to the idea that since he’s such a great player, it didn’t matter if my team didn’t look like winning it, as long as I could at least drink in some genuine moments of genius on the greatest stage in knockout rugby. Sadly no. And that’s a real shame for rugby, almost as much of a shame as Eddie Jones continuous testosterone spout. 

OP pencilled in 23 Sep 2023

Smith always looks so good against tier 2 opposition. 

Dr.S at work 23 Sep 2023

This one’s a cracker - let’s see what the new pack achieves 

OP pencilled in 23 Sep 2023
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Furlong really well targeted at scrum and obvious disarray at line out and still they took their chance. Coupled with some high energy, disciplined defence, this side look fantastic.

rlrs 23 Sep 2023

Zombie!

DizzyT 23 Sep 2023

Best game of the tournament so far. Total commitment.

FactorXXX 23 Sep 2023
In reply to DizzyT:

> Best game of the tournament so far. Total commitment.

England v Chile is the best game thus far.
Seriously? 

Welsh Kate 23 Sep 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

I think Dizzy's referring to the Ireland / S.Africa game. France / NZ was pretty good, but this was nail-biting quality stuff between two teams that deserve to be 1 and 2 in the world.

Go Ireland!

Derry 24 Sep 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Wow, Aussie's are out. Eddie J is in for a slating back home. Just seen him being interviewed. Remarkably humble for him.

Great result for Wales though, building momentum nicely. 

Dr.S at work 24 Sep 2023
In reply to Derry:

> Wow, Aussie's are out. Eddie J is in for a slating back home. Just seen him being interviewed. Remarkably humble for him.

> Great result for Wales though, building momentum nicely. 

To be fair to Eddie, he is pretty humble in defeat. 

Awesome from Wales.

Welsh Kate 24 Sep 2023
In reply to Derry:

It was a remarkably stress-free evening for this Wales supporter! We never looked like losing and though Australia were pretty rubbish that was partly because we made them pretty rubbish through a dominant performance in pretty much every aspect of play.

I've always rated Gareth Anscombe, he was a fab player for Cardiff for years, and I told his dad that when he drove me to the airport in his cab a couple of months ago! He did a brilliant job tonight taking over at outside half. What a great dilemma for Gatland if Biggar's fit for the quarter final!

GrahamD 25 Sep 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

The boyos certainly did a number on a very lacklustre Aussie side, didn't they ? Good to see.

earlsdonwhu 25 Sep 2023

Wales were very good but Australia were pathetic by the second half. (They were about as bad as when I saw Andrew Sheridan demolish so many Aussie front rowers that it went to uncontested scrums.) I think Skelton would have helped them  but that's just the way it goes in a long tournament....injuries and suspensions etc.

I was interested to hear comments along the lines that rugby union is struggling really badly / worse than previously against league and Aussie Rules. This result will hardly have helped!

Rob Parsons 25 Sep 2023
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> I was interested to hear comments along the lines that rugby union is struggling really badly / worse than previously against league and Aussie Rules.

Compared to League and Aussie Rules, Union's always been a minority interest down there.

OP pencilled in 25 Sep 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

The Wallabies needs this. Australian rugby needs it too. Suddenly the Lions tour is looking  a bit incidental, like that idiotic Woodward-led trip to NZ. 

ianstevens 26 Sep 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

> England v Chile is the best game thus far.

> Seriously? 

I guess if you're saes it's probably nice to see a big score or something? 

Dr.S at work 26 Sep 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

> I guess if you're saes it's probably nice to see a big score or something? 

Always! I don’t think that’s was what the OP meant though.

I’m looking forward to the hilarious England vs Wales final as two teams down and out six months ago somehow spawn there way through.

OP pencilled in 27 Sep 2023

Its knockout rugby after all! And it’s turning into a wonderful tournament too. I think it’s still pretty open given the fluctuating conditions. 
I’m looking forward to DuPont as phantom of the opera. 

Pete Pozman 01 Oct 2023
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> It's a good job Wilkinson could play rugby..... listening to him discuss drop goals is like listening to a turnip discussing Proust.

I don't know if I agree with you,  but that gave me a real, cathartic belly laugh. 

jcw 01 Oct 2023

I used to play rugby rather reluctantly between the age of 7 and 23, inevitably second row scrum and  trying to look keen but making sure I didn't get caught up where the action was, at least when I was at school. Now I've been watching these matches and realized what a superb game it is, but for one thing. There seem to be far too many penalties, and with the extraordinary standard of a set piece kick far too many matches are being won by these penalties. It strikes me they count too high. I'd like to know what the experts think. For me a solution would be to reduce from two to one and a half points. The idea of half points would certainly be considered radical, but why not?

Please, this is a genuine enquirer and I'd like to hear what others think.

RobAJones 01 Oct 2023
In reply to jcw:

I think there is an argument that this would result in fewer kicks at goal, but more penalties .

If a penalty is kickable, it is the defending team that has committed the offense. Often these decisions are based on narrow margins, slightly offside, slowing the ball down etc. in an attempt to prevent a try  If you reduce the value of a penalty kick, you would just make it more likely that defending teams would commit penalties. 

jcw 01 Oct 2023
In reply to RobAJones:

Well thank you for your reply which does not convince me of the relative value of a proper try.,nI've just turned on the present match  and all I ca n hear is encore une pénalité . And the  usual UKC unexplained down ticks with no explanation to a perfect genuine enquiry. I've turned both the TV and UKC off.

RobAJones 01 Oct 2023
In reply to jcw:

>  just turned on the present match  and all I ca n hear is encore une pénalité .

I am watching the game with German commentary, but I'm pretty sure there were four tries in the first half and only one penalty kick? Reading the report the earlier  game had 8 tries and 1 penalty??

>I've turned both the TV and UKC off.

Mrs J has just suggested I do the same. 

Robert Durran 01 Oct 2023
In reply to jcw:

Historically, the value of a try relative to a penalty has been gradually increasing. Maybe put a try up to 6 or 7! This from wikipedia:

"Historically, no points at all were awarded for a try, the reward being to "try" to score a goal (to kick the ball over the cross bar and between the posts). Modern points scoring was introduced in the late 1880s, and was uniformly accepted by the Home Nations for the 1890/91 season.

The balance in value between tries and conversions has changed greatly over the years. Until 1891, a try scored one point, a conversion two. For the next two years, tries scored two points and conversion three. In 1893, the modern pattern of tries scoring more was begun, with three points awarded for a try, two for a kick. The number of points from a try increased to four in 1971 and five in 1992.

Penalties have been worth three points since 1891 (they previously had been worth two points). The value of the drop goal was four points between 1891 and 1948, three points at all other times"

Post edited at 22:04
 FactorXXX 02 Oct 2023
In reply to jcw:

>  For me a solution would be to reduce from two to one and a half points. The idea of half points would certainly be considered radical, but why not?

A penalty is worth three points and not two which is perhaps an indicator that you don't actually follow Rugby on a regular basis and perhaps don't understand it.
With regards to most modern games, the generally accepted ethos is that if you don't score Tries, then you probably won't win.  This is further enhanced by the Bonus point awarded for scoring four Tries in a game which encourages teams to kick for touch, etc. as opposed to kicking for a goal.
I believe that in this World Cup, the winning teams have generally won by scoring more Tries than their opponents and haven't beaten a better side by simply having a better kicker.
One possible outlier is England vs Argentina, where Ford basically won the game by kicking Drop Goals.  Then again, that was probably equally lost by Argentina by being so rubbish. 

Bottom Clinger 02 Oct 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

When England won it in 2003, against the better teams they scored less than one try per game. Impressive strength and discipline, and Wilkinson’s kicking , won it. Boring though. 

FactorXXX 02 Oct 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> When England won it in 2003, against the better teams they scored less than one try per game. Impressive strength and discipline, and Wilkinson’s kicking , won it. Boring though. 

and twenty years later, Wilkinson and Woodward are still managing to be boring. 

Robert Durran 02 Oct 2023
In reply to jcw:

No idea why you are getting all the dislikes. It is a very valid point for discussion and the fact that the scoring has changed over the years shows that it has always been considered something worth thinking about.

jcw 02 Oct 2023
In reply to Robert Durran: and others thank you . Indeed, as I pointed out, I have only just discovered the pleasure of watching rugby and am not au fait with the modern rules. My eyesight is such that I can't read the scoreboard and assumed a penalty was the same as a conversion. What I think I'm reacting to is the unrelenting massacre in games of unequal matching due to the luck of the draw of courageous little opponents who make mistakes inadvertently and pay literally a merciless penalty. But then I suppose that's the downside of a professional game and when we reach the final sets of matches that disproportion will disappear . Anyhow I'll start watching again and enjoying it in the final stages

Derry 02 Oct 2023
In reply to jcw:

I think the downvotes might be because you said, "perhaps they should be downgraded from 2 points to 1 1/2 points" whereas a penalty kick is worth 3 points. Technical inaccuracy brings out the pettiness in everyone, including me, sorry. *edit: just saw this mentioned above.

I remember the days of the 4 point try and conversion = 6 points, with my (perhaps wrongly) main understanding that it was increased to 5 points so that a converted try was worth more than 2 penalties. 

I must admit I'm a fan of the Rugby League scoring. 4 points try, 2 points conversion, 2 points penalty and 1 point drop goal; in the fact I like a drop goal option being used to win a tight match at the end of the 80 rather than throughout the game (queue the downvotes for me from George Ford's fans).

Post edited at 13:51
 Harry Jarvis 02 Oct 2023
In reply to jcw:

> and others thank you . Indeed, as I pointed out, I have only just discovered the pleasure of watching rugby and am not au fait with the modern rules. My eyesight is such that I can't read the scoreboard and assumed a penalty was the same as a conversion. What I think I'm reacting to is the unrelenting massacre in games of unequal matching due to the luck of the draw of courageous little opponents who make mistakes inadvertently and pay literally a merciless penalty.

In most of the one-sided matches between Tier 1 nations and Tier 2 nations*, the points differences have been due to the very large numbers of tries being scored. For example, Scotland scored 12 tries against Romania with no points from penalties, New Zealand scored 14 against Italy (not a Tier 2 nation, but a comprehensive drubbing), again with no points from penalties, England scored 11 tries against Chile, and again with no points from conversions. In such one-sided games, teams and individual players see the opportunities to boost their own points tallies by scoring tries and conversions, in preference to the lower points haul from kicked penalties. 

It's more likely that points from penalties form a more significant proportion of the points tally in more evenly matched games. In these games, tries are harder to come by, and points from kicked penalties are a safer way of gaining points. 

*There are 11 Tier 1 nations - the European Six Nations, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Japan and Argentina. Tier 2 nations are the next rung down in the world rankings. 

Strictly speaking, the Tiers have been replaced by World Rugby's performance and development status classifications, but Tier 1 and Tier 2 is a useful shorthand for the teams playing in the World Cup. 

earlsdonwhu 02 Oct 2023

I haven't read the whole thread but ....the higher the points for a try, the bigger the incentive to transgress to avoid one being scored against you. We see this all the time already with multiple collapses, offsides etc within 5 metres of the try line. Ask the Fijians who played against Wales! The real deterrent here is to sin bin someone sooner as, on average,  teams concede more than 7 points when down to 14 men.

Mark Bannan 02 Oct 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> Go Ireland!

Defineyetly! 

I can still remember vividly my disappointment when you guys beat us in 1987 (yous got a crap England and crushed them in the quarters and a good Australia whipped us!), when I was 16. I will shed tears of joy if Ireland get to the semis (36 years is a long time to wait for anything!). Contrast with both Irish teams in football is huge (Northern Ireland in '82 and us [Republic!] in '90)!

Post edited at 19:34
OP pencilled in 02 Oct 2023
In reply to Mark Bannan:

Quiet Mark please. I don’t know if you jinxed it, nah, just about got away with it I think.

duncan b 02 Oct 2023

Somewhat on subject, has anyone else listened to the latest real science of sport podcast on rugby laws? Really interesting stuff. Particularly regarding the motivation for law changes (foremost for player welfare but also to help the game as a spectacle) and how they are tested prior to being accepted or rejected.

Contrary, to what I regard to be the public perception, rugby now is far more free flowing than it was in the 70s and 80s when measured against all metrics - total ball in play time, average play time between stoppages, fewer number of set pieces etc.

https://shows.acast.com/realscienceofsport/episodes/the-most-fascinating-ex...

OP pencilled in 02 Oct 2023
In reply to duncan b:

yep…. With obvious consequences to the players of such a noble game…

Welsh Kate 02 Oct 2023
In reply to Mark Bannan:

To be fair, I have dual nationality so am very enthusiastically supporting Ireland as well!

Mark Bannan 03 Oct 2023

Hopefully!

Mark Bannan 03 Oct 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Good for you! I wholeheartedly threw in our lot with yous boys in 1987 and 2011 (Wales were robbed that year! Deserved to win the trophy.)

Derry 06 Oct 2023

So the last weekend of pool games... Any predictions to go against the bookies? Scotland to cause an upset? Fiji to implode and let Australia through? Italy to shake off last week's disaster by fronting up and kicking France out of their own WC? Argentina v Japan to be the closest game for a do or die win?

Harry Jarvis 06 Oct 2023
In reply to Derry:

> So the last weekend of pool games... Any predictions to go against the bookies? Scotland to cause an upset? Fiji to implode and let Australia through? Italy to shake off last week's disaster by fronting up and kicking France out of their own WC? Argentina v Japan to be the closest game for a do or die win?

It is hard to see past the expected results. I will be watching the Scotland match in the hope they can pull off something completely unlikely, but given their record against Ireland, even if they were to win, I cannot see them scoring enough points to go through. Scotland's destiny in this World Cup was pretty much fixed when the draw was made.  

Despite having an Australian wife, I hope Australia are sent packing. This is entirely due to Eddie Jones. I don't want to see France eliminated. They are a supremely talented team, and progress would allow Dupont to reappear in the latter stages, which would be fitting. 

Argentina vs Japan will be the interesting one. Argentina were dreadful against England, not entirely convincing against Samoa and the Chile match was neither here nor there as a test of their current state. Japan seem to be in a similar position, and with this being a crucial match - as you say, do or die - I hope to see a truly exciting match. I doubt either side will play cautiously. 

OP pencilled in 06 Oct 2023
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

I think Argentina may well be playing for automatic inclusion to the 27 World Cup which makes it frankly a very interesting weekend if I’m right. 
NZ looked great last night, I thought. 

Harry Jarvis 06 Oct 2023

> I think Argentina may well be playing for automatic inclusion to the 27 World Cup which makes it frankly a very interesting weekend if I’m right. 

What are the criteria? I know the 3rd place in each pool has automatic entry. Presumably there is another rankings-based requirement? 

> NZ looked great last night, I thought. 

I missed that unfortunately. I did see a surprisingly small margin at half-time, but they obviously picked it up in the second half. 

Ah I may have misunderstood this actually, yes you are right, 3rd place in pools guarantees inclusion. Reading the below in fact it looks fairly safe for Argentina and Japan for 27. My bad. 

From the ‘permutations’ page in RWC website:

If the match ends in a draw, Japan must be the only team to get a try-scoring bonus point to finish second.

If neither get a bonus point in the draw, Samoa must beat England by 29 points and get a try-bonus point to have the best points difference of the three teams to finish second (+47). Argentina would then finish third on points difference from Japan to qualify for RWC 2027.

I’m enjoying the mind bending Scotland permutations though. 

Harry Jarvis 06 Oct 2023

> I’m enjoying the mind bending Scotland permutations though. 

As a Scotland supporter, I'm not enjoying them ...

> As a Scotland supporter, I'm not enjoying them ...

It’s been a cruel draw for one of the most entertaining sides of the last couple of years, for sure. 

Crikey, France don’t look like giving an inch do they. Got to hand it to Edwards.

Dr.S at work 06 Oct 2023

Great effort! Glad the Azzuri have scored

Dr.S at work 06 Oct 2023

> It’s been a cruel draw for one of the most entertaining sides of the last couple of years, for sure. 

Agree. I wonder if they’ve ever considered a plate competition for the 3rd and 4th placed group teams.

sjminfife 07 Oct 2023

I would be in favour of that. 

Much as I love the game the drubbings handed out to tier 2 nations do not look like fun for the players to me. If the players are happy to participate then fine. I am concerned about player safety in such mismatches.

My preference would be a tier 1 cup and tier 2 plate from the start.

Dr.S at work 07 Oct 2023
In reply to sjminfife:

> I would be in favour of that. 

> Much as I love the game the drubbings handed out to tier 2 nations do not look like fun for the players to me. If the players are happy to participate then fine. I am concerned about player safety in such mismatches.

> My preference would be a tier 1 cup and tier 2 plate from the start.

I'm not so sure on that - there have been some very good performances from tier 2 teams, and some drubbings for tier 1 (Italy) outfits. Everytime I see tier 2 players come off the pitch against the All Blacks, their eyes are shining.

sjminfife 07 Oct 2023

Agreed, unfortunately Italy have found the All Blacks and France in a mood to demonstrate clear eighty minute dominance.

Wainers44 07 Oct 2023

Any idea what time the England game starts?

If you know, can can you tell the England team as I think they think this is still the warm up....

kevin stephens 07 Oct 2023
In reply to Wainers44:

> Any idea what time the England game starts?

Not sure, England don’t seem very good with clocks

Wainers44 07 Oct 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

> Not sure, England don’t seem very good with clocks

Hold on a minute, really...?

earlsdonwhu 07 Oct 2023

England were diabolical. God knows what they do in training.

If a Lions squad were picked now, I can't think of any English player deserving a place. 

wbo2 07 Oct 2023
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Hang on .. that's unfair.  We need to judge them on a performance where Farrell isn't playing.

Wainers44 07 Oct 2023
In reply to wbo2:

Ouch!!

Anyway,  now a proper game 😁

Derry 07 Oct 2023
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Yes that was woeful. I was in Samoa's camp as a friend's husband is their assistant coach, but it wasn't good to see all the simple mistakes made by England. I think what struck me most was someone winning a turnover and Ben Earls celebrating like it was the final 2 minutes of the final. Just get on and do your job.

OP pencilled in 08 Oct 2023

Wonderful stuff from Portugal. 

Harry Jarvis 09 Oct 2023

> Wonderful stuff from Portugal. 

Indeed. A great thrill for them. It's a shame there aren't better opportunities for them and other developing countries to play against higher level opposition more regularly. Mind you, Fiji were quite dreadful at times last night. 

So now we have two quarter-finals worthy of semi-finals - Ireland vs New Zealand and France vs South Africa - and two quarter-finals of, shall we say, a slightly lesser quality. 

Big Top 09 Oct 2023

Agreed.  The imbalance within the draw has really had a negative impact on this tournament (the current top two teams in the world in the same group, the current top 4 teams in the world meeting in the QFs).  It's difficult to understand why it needs to be based on seedings several years before the tournament. I suppose it has given some of the lesser nations more opportunity to progress - perhaps England will take advantage

Harry Jarvis 09 Oct 2023
In reply to Big Top:

I don't know the original thinking regarding the seedings being taken three years before the tournament, but at least World Rugby has recognised the problem, so it is to be hoped we will not see a recurrence in 2027. 

https://rugby365.com/latest-news/rugby-chief-vows-to-end-lopsided-world-cup...

In fairness to World Rugby, it would have been difficult to predict the Eddie Jones-inspired collapse in both England's and Australia's rankings. 

OP pencilled in 09 Oct 2023

I can’t remember a WC with a distinct possibility of all Northern Hemisphere semis. 
Certain groups of fans could moan about this for generations to come. 

Seriously though, I’m super excited to see Ireland’s trial by combat and France’s playing All Blacks rugby against the All Blacks. England don’t deserve anything but they could just squeeze through. Wales do deserve a top 4 finish in my view, but that QF is suddenly looking a lot more difficult. 

OP pencilled in 11 Oct 2023

QF predictions anyone? 
I note Foxy picked Fiji to go through on the RU Podcast; he’s not naive but I do think he is virulently anti-English. 
I like to think Ireland are a bit too strong for the All Blacks. 
That France team is running so physically smooth with all the flair of a 70s Brazil football team, I think they will prove too much for the Saffas depending on the bench splits - a game for the ages perhaps? Wales should prevail.

FactorXXX 11 Oct 2023

Last four:
Ireland - They're Ireland...
France - The days on them having a shocker and losing the plot have long gone.
Wales - Just and might depend on if Anscombe plays.
Fiji - Purely on recent potential as Fiji have been good at times and England haven't.

Final:
Ireland v France
Ireland to win - I think...

Welsh Kate 11 Oct 2023

Let's go for the easy ones first:

Wales should beat Argentina. I wouldn't have said that at the start of the year but Gatland's done his magic and Jac Morgan's being Warburtonesque in his leadership.

England should beat Fiji, but it may depend on discipline and not playing Farrell.

All Blacks always dangerous even when they're not so hot but I'm not sure they've got the power up front to beat the Irish. It'll feel like a home game for the Irish too. 

France v South Africa should be mega and I think too close to call.

Harry Jarvis 12 Oct 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Can anyone explain the appeal of Owen Farrell? I see that Borthwick is set to pick Farrell at 10 and drop George Ford for the Fiji game. Ford has far more creativity than Farrell and is far less likely to give away penalties (and get yellow-carded) than Farrell. Ford virtually won the Argentina game single-handed. And yet Farrell gets the nod? 

the sheep 12 Oct 2023

No idea why Farrell gets the nod, England were a better side with Ford at 10 and having Smith come on as a sub.

I posted this on Facebook 8n ye3ars ago...

"At last we get to see what Ford and Slade can do in tandem. However what the f**k is the point of putting Farrell in between them. Two players who can play fast flat rugby and be an attacking threat and you go and separate them with a defensive back who likes to play in the pocket. Utterly utterly pointless!"

Seems like nothing has changed despite the evidence that most fans can see.

Derry 12 Oct 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

As an All Blacks supporter through and through, I am obviously in one camp. 

However, having lived in Dublin and played for the great Lansdowne club for 5 years, I would not be disappointed to see the mighty men in green go all the way. That would be something wouldn't it? From never winning a knock-out match to lifting the trophy in one go. Fairy tail stuff. 

Welsh Kate 12 Oct 2023
In reply to Derry:

As the proud (indeed smug) possessor of dual nationality, I would be ecstatic if Ireland went all the way. Except that would mean them knocking out Wales in the semis which is my 'can't win, can't lose' match!!

OP pencilled in 12 Oct 2023
In reply to the sheep:

Not this again… 

Fans in uproar about Farrell’s inclusion but players and coaches continue to rave about the player. 100 caps, England’s record points scorer, etc. Shane Horgan reckoned it was a class issue - League background and all that, Haskell thought it was because he doesn’t court the media. A very good friend of mine was a coach at Sarries when he first arrived and he said he was literally the best player he’d ever seen (and he’d spent 2-3 years with the Chiefs!). I know that was a long time ago but I think we need to check our knowledge or stats before piling on with a collective whine about Owen Farrell. 

edit: A quick check on the internet shows the usual suspects continuing with negativity toward or about Owen Farrell, The Daily Mail and Wales Online plus a few online brands desperate for clicks. 

Post edited at 17:05
 Dr.S at work 12 Oct 2023

> Not this again… 

> Fans in uproar about Farrell’s inclusion but players and coaches continue to rave ..,

Always interesting, and it’s not just England that have picked him - Gatland has on a fair few occasions. He clearly is very good.

I think the central problem is that he is a great player, for a particular style of play. Ford is better for another style - we need to pick a style and go with it, or be able to switch about as required.

the style Ford or Smith suits is very easy on the eye, Faz less so - I guess it comes down to do you want your team to be Sarries or Bears?

OP pencilled in 12 Oct 2023
In reply to Dr.S at work

:> so - I guess it comes down to do you want your team to be Sarries or Bears?

That depends which opposition your team is facing I suppose and how well the rest of the team’s strengths and party-tricks rate against their identified weakness. Could we out-Fiji Fiji? Borthers doesn’t seem to think so; not this weekend anyway. 

fred99 13 Oct 2023
In reply to :

Farrell is too slow to make a decision, and even too slow to take a kick.

He telegraphs his dropkicks so the opposition are ready for them.

He regularly tackles too high and gets yellow (and red) carded.

He also seems (at least to me) to be more interested in getting points (by kicking) for his personal tally rather than playing for what's best for the team - a real problem when he's captain and makes all the decisions.

I wouldn't have even picked him to be part of the squad.

OP pencilled in 13 Oct 2023
In reply to fred99:

Which other fly-half would you have selected? 

FactorXXX 13 Oct 2023

> That depends which opposition your team is facing I suppose and how well the rest of the team’s strengths and party-tricks rate against their identified weakness. 

Sounds like Borthwick is aiming not to lose as opposed to aiming to win - which sort of makes sense now that it's knockout rugby.
The game is being played in Marseille with a weather forecast for dry warm weather and with low humidity.  Ideal for running rugby which should suit the Fijians. 

Welsh Kate 14 Oct 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Casualties so far:

1 ref

Most of the numbers on the Wales shirts

Welsh Kate 14 Oct 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Meh

Tyler 14 Oct 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Wales have been hanging on all tournament, played much better than expected 6 months ago but would have got pasted in the semis no matter what.

Welsh Kate 14 Oct 2023
In reply to Tyler:

I don't think either Wales or Argentina would have got any further regardless of who won this quarter, given what awaits!

<takes off red shirt, puts on green >

peppermill 14 Oct 2023

> Always interesting, and it’s not just England that have picked him - Gatland has on a fair few occasions. He clearly is very good.

I think his lack of popularity with fans is down to general bellendish behaviour on the pitch e.g. diving, poor discipline etc etc. On days where he keeps this in check he's absolutely unreal.

FactorXXX 14 Oct 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> I don't think either Wales or Argentina would have got any further regardless of who won this quarter, given what awaits!

Can't argue with that as neither side played particularly well and the same will probably apply to the winner of the England/Fiji game tomorrow.
Longer term problem for Wales is that they're going to lose both Biggar and Anscombe after the World Cup and I don't think Costello is currently good enough at International level.

Dewi Williams 14 Oct 2023
In reply to Tyler:

> Wales have been hanging on all tournament, played much better than expected 6 months ago but would have got pasted in the semis no matter what.

I wouldn't disagree with that, it was just galling that Tomkins takes a head shot which is picked up by the TMO, the commentators are discussing possible mitigation from a red to a yellow card and the ref doesn't even award a penalty then Argentina go on and score. Owen Farrell would have been sent off for that challenge!

Wales did however make too many mistakes in the second half, simple as.

rsc 14 Oct 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> <takes off red shirt, puts on green >

Commiserations!

Dr.S at work 15 Oct 2023
In reply to rsc:

> Commiserations!

If Kate puts it on a hot wash with some bleach could be white for this afternoon?

Sean Kelly 15 Oct 2023

That Ireland-All Black's game was awesome. One of the best I've ever watched. Unremitting toil and grinding action. I sat open-mouthed during that final 10 minutes of unremitting Irish pressure and All Black's selling their souls to withstand the battering. A shame it had to finally end with no Irish try, but what an advert for rugby.

Post edited at 09:45
 JohnnyW 15 Oct 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> That Ireland-All Black's game was awesome. One of the best I've ever watched. Unremitting toil and grinding action. I sat open-mouthed during that final 10 minutes of unremitting Irish pressure and All Black's selling their souls to withstand the battering. A shame it had to finally end with no Irish try, but what an advert for rugby.

Agree 100%

Welsh Kate 15 Oct 2023

:-D

ianstevens 15 Oct 2023

> If Kate puts it on a hot wash with some bleach could be white for this afternoon?

Didn't realise Fiji played in white

OP pencilled in 15 Oct 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

That was the best game of the last decade for me and shows the depth of the All Blacks to start and finish so strongly. Irish players, wherever they are from, can feel rightly proud of their efforts. I love the versatility of those two groups of players each can play in any given role. You don’t see Johnny May counter rucking as effectively as those players last night. Richie Moaga was the difference for me, not that Sexton was poor, far from it. 
Argentina 10s were magnificent. 

England are still in this until around 5.30pm at least.  

Robert Durran 15 Oct 2023

> England are still in this until around 5.30pm at least.  

I do hope they lose. It would be such a travesty for England to be the only British side to make the semis.

Or if they do win, that they go on to get the massive drubbing from one of the serious contenders they have jammily avoided so far.

In reply to Robert Durran:

Thats a lot of negativity there, Robert!

Half time and it looks to me like England managing the opponent well and Farrell is playing very well indeed. 

> Half time and it looks to me like England managing the opponent well and Farrell is playing very well indeed. 

Yes, looks like they are going to live to lose another day.

It’s turned into another exciting game! 

> It’s turned into another exciting game! 

Indeed. My hopes really got up again there for a moment!

> It’s turned into another exciting game! 

It certainly was! The last few minutes was definitely squeaky bum time.

peppermill 15 Oct 2023

I suppose with how poor they've been it's easy to forget several of the England squad have already played in a World Cup final after dumping out the All Blacks in a brutal semi-final last time around. Don't see them posing France or SA too many problems though....

In reply to peppermill:

Owen Farrell has provided some food for thought for his detractors; he was immense in defence. Ben Earl’s best England game to date in my view. 

peppermill 15 Oct 2023

> Owen Farrell has provided some food for thought for his detractors; he was immense in defence. Ben Earl’s best England game to date in my view. 

As I said upthread I think he's disliked for his bellendery rather than his playing abilities. The ref seemed to go easy on both sides which made the game far more interesting.

In reply to peppermill:

Yes it did. Raynal has had a few games like that. 

Dr.S at work 15 Oct 2023

> I do hope they lose. It would be such a travesty for England to be the only British side to make the semis.

> Or if they do win, that they go on to get the massive drubbing from one of the serious contenders they have jammily avoided so far.

It would - but not their fault, honest toilers at worst, and if you look at the players CV’s should be better than they are.

Dr.S at work 15 Oct 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

> Didn't realise Fiji played in white

they do normally- but change shirts tonight.

Fiona Reid 15 Oct 2023

Bloody brilliant so far for France v RSA. If they keep this up for 80 mins it will be amazing.

In reply to Fiona Reid:

It’s a privilege to watch this match.

65 15 Oct 2023
In reply to Fiona Reid:

This is the first match I've watched so far, my God what a game. England have confounded expectations but I imagine they will be quaking in their boots after this one. Allez les Bleus!

earlsdonwhu 15 Oct 2023
In reply to 65:

These two are playing a different game to England!! Come on France. 

Don't want a NZ Vs Saffers final 

Dr.S at work 15 Oct 2023
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Feck.

once again, England are left to carry the torch for the Northern Hemisphere.

Domage.

65 15 Oct 2023
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Dammit.

Garethza 15 Oct 2023
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> Don't want a NZ Vs Saffers final

Looking forward to it!

Jamie Wakeham 15 Oct 2023

I cannot remember a tournament with four quarter finals of that quality.  England - Fiji was the poorest game by quite some way, and was still a decent enough watch. Hard to call which of SA - France and NZ - Ireland was the better spectacle.

FactorXXX 15 Oct 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Last four:
> Ireland - They're Ireland...
> France - The days on them having a shocker and losing the plot have long gone.
> Wales - Just and might depend on if Anscombe plays.
> Fiji - Purely on recent potential as Fiji have been good at times and England haven't.

Well, I managed to get that spectacularly wrong!
My only bit of defence is that Wales might have won if Anscombe was available - perhaps...
As for England progressing further, lets hope not on a purely Rugby perspective as they really don't deserve it. 

Post edited at 23:48
 Dr.S at work 16 Oct 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Well, I managed to get that spectacularly wrong!

> My only bit of defence is that Wales might have won if Anscombe was available - perhaps...

> As for England progressing further, lets hope not on a purely Rugby perspective as they really don't deserve it. 

If England beat this SA side I think they will have thoroughly deserved it - it will have to be an immense effort. can’t really see it as man for man SA are better than us, and seem unlikely to choke.

OP pencilled in 16 Oct 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

And neither do France nor Ireland *deserve* to be out. Tournaments rarely work like that. It’s not a useful measure but colours our feelings throughout and provides a dimension of value. England is the only unbeaten side in the last four. Deserving or not, that team has confounded almost universal dislike throughout. I can’t remember another team in the same situation. 

mark s 16 Oct 2023

My wife has gone from oh FFS not rugby again.

To what time is the rugby on at? 

Doesn't matter who is playing,she loves it 

In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

> I cannot remember a tournament with four quarter finals of that quality.  England - Fiji was the poorest game by quite some way, and was still a decent enough watch.

Really? Wales Argentina was dreadful. So many spilt passes and messed-up plays. England Fiji was tidy in comparison although not in the same ballpark as the other two matches for sure.

Alan

Sean Kelly 16 Oct 2023

If the semis are anything like the quarter finals we are in for a feast! Thrilling rugby.!!

Jamie Wakeham 16 Oct 2023
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

It wasn't a display of technical excellence, that's for sure.  But it was interesting and exciting throughout, which is much more than can be said for some games I've sat through in recent months!

jcw 16 Oct 2023

Well for me recently reconverted to rugby that France Springboks match made me realize what a fantastic game it can be. I just never believed that a match could be so gripping and so hard fought at such a level of skill, ability and fitness to the very last moments. It's simply à pity that in some earlier rounds there were so many' walkovers through merging two levels of teams in the same competition 

DaveHK 16 Oct 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> If the semis are anything like the quarter finals we are in for a feast! Thrilling rugby.!!

I suspect they won't be, in part because of the seeding procedures. I fully expect NZ to flatten Argentina and SA to do the same to England. Final could be good but we've seen it before when two amazing sides cancel each other out in the pressure of the final. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

Jamie Wakeham 16 Oct 2023
In reply to jcw:

It's certainly a very different Boks team to the one that just steamrolled England four years ago, and that's to be applauded.

I read a comment yesterday along the lines of 'Ireland-NZ was the best RWC game ever, for 24 hours'

Derry 16 Oct 2023

> I cannot remember a tournament with four quarter finals of that quality.  England - Fiji was the poorest game by quite some way, and was still a decent enough watch. Hard to call which of SA - France and NZ - Ireland was the better spectacle.

I agree. purely however because of the mismatched pool selection that we've heard so much about. It made the quarter finals between very evenly matched teams, thus making for exciting rugby, with all games coming down to last plays to decide the winner (apart from the pumas sealing it 3 minutes from the end). Two of the games were more than worthy of finals and imho have been better than most other finals, barring 1995 and 2003. Love it!

Vigier 16 Oct 2023

Fantastic QFs all round: particularly NZ/Ireland and France/ SA .

As a Scot currently in France, I was rooting for France to win and thought they played the better rugby last night; however, SA got the run of the green and benefitted from one or two refereeing decisions that may not have gone their way with another ref.
I used to get a bit annoyed at some of obvious refereeing mistakes - that can decide the outcome of a game; however, given the complexity of the modern game and the difficulty for referees, I think you just have to live with these decisions and just enjoy the level of rugby on show - this weekend has been a joy to watch. 
I will be supporting England as the last NH team; however, think it’s going to be difficult for them. 

In reply to jcw:

> I just never believed that a match could be so gripping and so hard fought at such a level of skill, ability and fitness to the very last moments. 

Say that again when watching an absorbing 6-3 armwrestle in the pouring rain in Doncaster; the competition could be equally intense and skill levels equally balanced. An offwidth of a game if you will. 

FactorXXX 16 Oct 2023

> Say that again when watching an absorbing 6-3 armwrestle in the pouring rain in Doncaster; the competition could be equally intense and skill levels equally balanced. An offwidth of a game if you will. 

Sounds a bit like Type 2 fun.

Robert Durran 16 Oct 2023

There's a nice cyclic symmetry to the results between the four big teams: South Africa beat France who beat New Zealand who beat Ireland who beat South Africa who beat......

They are clearly all both better and worse than each other.

Robert Durran 16 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

> I suspect they won't be, in part because of the seeding procedures. I fully expect NZ to flatten Argentina and SA to do the same to England.

Yes, I think we have effectively already had the semi-finals, and the way it should always have been without the seeding nonsense.

But that’s the game and the role of a tournament! We can’t have the penny and the bun.  At some point, if we want the likes of Portugal involved a parity must be reached. No one moaned too heavily at the time the strategy for seeding this WC was announced if I recall correctly. For our own sake we need to be happy with the positives and celebrate them lest we become Victor Meldrew and love to hate it. 

Post edited at 13:29
 Derry 16 Oct 2023

Call me Victor because at the time I wasn't happy with the draw being done when it was. 

OP pencilled in 18 Oct 2023

NZ have recalled Mark Telea for the semi-final, a genuine talent whose natural game fits really well with the All Black back three: they can score from anywhere and inevitably will. Pumas will have their hands full.

Rassie has been playing games in the press conference, not that he needs to - this Springbok machine is like the Borg. 

Derry 19 Oct 2023

England squad just named. Good call bringing Steward back in imho. Either way, its gonna be a brutal match for all involved.

earlsdonwhu 19 Oct 2023
In reply to Derry:

I fear that England won't get anywhere near parity up front or at breakdowns so the scope for the backs to score points will be limited.......even if they had a clear identity about how they wanted, or were expected, to play. Cole was previously savaged by the Boks and is older but just as limited. Marler can scrummage but offers little else apart from the odd header!

FactorXXX 19 Oct 2023
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

>  Marler can scrummage but offers little else apart from the odd header!

and cupping...

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I actually think Marler all things considered has looked pretty good all tournament. Very quick at the ruck, looking well drilled, powerful in the scrum. Slow and heavy in the open for sure, but valuable. Dan Cole though as a starter in 2023 is ridiculous. 

I'd have ditched Johnny May a long time ago. For all his speed he has no aggression or creativity. I'd rather lose taking the gamble on Arundel. 

Under Borthwick England have looked so demotivated. I never thought I'd see Atoje look like he wished he was somwhere else. I want to see players like Smith, Ford etc, who bring fire to the pitch when they play, utilised more. 

peppermill 19 Oct 2023
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

>  Dan Cole though as a starter in 2023 is ridiculous. 

Agreed, wonderful "head down and get on with it" servant to the England side over his long career but........

> Under Borthwick England have looked so demotivated. I never thought I'd see Atoje look like he wished he was somwhere else. I want to see players like Smith, Ford etc, who bring fire to the pitch when they play, utilised more. 

It's so frustrating. 

A squad bursting with top class talent, a good few players in the 2019 final etc etc but they don't seem to be able do anything meaningful. 

The only chance they've got at the weekend is if SA are still knackered from playing France.

Ah well, could be worse, could be a Wallabies fan.....;p

Post edited at 18:46
OP pencilled in 19 Oct 2023
In reply to peppermill:

I don’t mind Marler, his performance offers something ‘solid’ against this Boks side. Martin is an odd selection particularly given Chessum’s tournament so far, but again he’s abrasive and physical for Leicester and pretty young so you’d expect his engine to work well. 
I like Smith but with the bombs going up all game, Steward offers, literally, a safe pair of hands; Smith, whether we like it or not, is not the right 10 against the Springboks. 
I hope it’s going to be a great game. 

Wainers44 20 Oct 2023

All Blacks look like they might just sneak this one.....

Robert Durran 20 Oct 2023
In reply to Wainers44:

> All Blacks look like they might just sneak this one.....

Yes, while it would have been nice to see the underdogs do well, one does, on the other hand, obviously want to see a final showdown between New Zealand and South Africa.

OP pencilled in 21 Oct 2023

I was happy to miss the game last night; I enjoyed watching The Atomic Bitchwax instead who were brutally amazing. A bit like the All Blacks really. 
I’ve caught up now and Argentina had neither the hope nor the plan to contain the physicality, flair, pace and invention of these New Zealand players. They look very much in form. Jordi Barrett was imperious. 
I would say that I agree with Will Greenwood; for South Africa to win today they will have to perform brilliantly. It’s not going to be a walkover. 

I enjoy these moments and any true rugby enthusiast must agree that it is a decent match-up. For members of the ‘anyone but England’ club, enjoy and good luck!

Lhod 21 Oct 2023

> Yes, while it would have been nice to see the underdogs do well, one does, on the other hand, obviously want to see a final showdown between New Zealand and South Africa.

It appears you mean "I do" rather than "one does", particularly when posting on a UK based forum.

That said, I do agree that for a neutral, SA vs NZ looks the more compelling fixture.

However if England play well enough to beat SA then you'd hope they'd also manage a good final against NZ.

Robert Durran 21 Oct 2023
In reply to Lhod:

> It appears you mean "I do" rather than "one does", particularly when posting on a UK based forum.

> However if England play well enough to beat SA then you'd hope they'd also manage a good final against NZ.

In that unlikely event, I think one would like to see them suffer the indignity of two successive final defeats.

fred99 21 Oct 2023

Referring to the All Blacks as a New Zealand team is not strictly accurate;

An awful lot of them weren't born in New Zealand, and mainly these came from the South Sea islands that are "2nd tier" - Fiji, Samoa, Tonga. Just how many of them were taken to New Zealand due to the lack of higher education in the islands is questionable - especially as New Zealand has been "responsible" for this higher education - or rather lack of it - up till now.

Now that there is finally at least one higher education unit in the islands, it will be interesting to see how the New Zealand team fares in the future, given that the most fruitful source of players is being reduced.

Of course, a lack of higher education in the islands must be purely coincidental and nothing to do with the New Zealand Rugby system - some may say that, but I couldn't possibly comment.

FactorXXX 21 Oct 2023
In reply to fred99:

> Referring to the All Blacks as a New Zealand team is not strictly accurate;
> An awful lot of them weren't born in New Zealand, and mainly these came from the South Sea islands that are "2nd tier" - Fiji, Samoa, Tonga.

A lot of teams use the residency rule including England.

RobAJones 21 Oct 2023

In reply to 

> Of course, a lack of higher education in the islands must be purely coincidental and nothing to do with the New Zealand Rugby system - some may say that, but I couldn't possibly comment.

I think it's the influence of English private schools that resulted in Mako and Billy Vunipola playing for England rather than Wales like Taulupe Faletau.

There seem to be a large number of players originally from the Southern Hemisphere playing for the home nations? 

Post edited at 13:49
 Harry Jarvis 21 Oct 2023
In reply to fred99:

> Referring to the All Blacks as a New Zealand team is not strictly accurate;

> An awful lot of them weren't born in New Zealand,

How many is 'an awful lot'?

SDM 21 Oct 2023

5 were born in Tonga, 2 in Samoa, 2 in Australia, 1 in Fiji and 1 in Scotland.

Harry Jarvis 21 Oct 2023
In reply to SDM:

Thank you. I'm intrigued by the Scot!

RobAJones 21 Oct 2023
In reply to SDM:

Is that for the starting 15, match day 23 or world cup squad 33?

Wasnt it something like the 2021 six nations had close to 80 foreign born players? Although France and Ireland demonstrate quality is more important than quantity. 

SDM 21 Oct 2023

Finlay Christie was born in Scotland but his family moved to New Zealand when he was a child.

Why’s that then? 
Reading your words makes me think you are less of a rugby fan than a political activist. A persisting ‘Anything but England’ approach is a lazy and ignorant attitude, and reading your insight on climbing I just know that’s not the case with you. I hope you can find some enjoyment somewhere in the game nonetheless. 

SDM 21 Oct 2023
In reply to RobAJones:

That's the whole squad.

It was recalled from memory so apologies if I made any errors.

Harry Jarvis 21 Oct 2023
In reply to SDM:

> Finlay Christie was born in Scotland but his family moved to New Zealand when he was a child.

Thank you - the ginger hair should have been a bit of a give-away. 

FactorXXX 21 Oct 2023

> Reading your words makes me think you are less of a rugby fan than a political activist. A persisting ‘Anything but England’ approach is a lazy and ignorant attitude, and reading your insight on climbing I just know that’s not the case with you. I hope you can find some enjoyment somewhere in the game nonetheless. 

If England win by being genuinely better than South Africa then fair enough.
However, England do seem to have adopted a policy of winning games by not losing as opposed to playing exciting Rugby.
Suppose that's OK if you're an England player or supporter, but for the rest of us it's a little bit boring from a Rugby viewing spectacle - especially when you see the quality of the teams that got knocked out in the quarters.
I'm Welsh and am quite happy to acknowledge that we lucked out in the early stages and wouldn't have really deserved to get to the semi's on our current performance. 

RobAJones 21 Oct 2023
In reply to SDM:

> It was recalled from memory so apologies if I made any errors.

I'm impressed evennif you've missed one or two. I had to look this up but before the residency rules increased from 3 to 5 years, 27 of the Scottish six nations squad weren't born in Scotland, although some might have been like Finlay in reverse. 

SDM 21 Oct 2023
In reply to RobAJones:

The subject came up in a podcast I listened to about a week ago so it was fairly fresh in my mind.

In reply to FactorXXX:

I’ve played a lot of rugby in Wales. A lot. I can assure you that players there take a win over an attractive, inventive and creative game more readily than players in England. 

> Why’s that then? 

> A persisting ‘Anything but England’ approach is a lazy and ignorant attitude.

Sorry, yes, you are right. A discerning neutral would support England against Australia.

Post edited at 15:38
 Lhod 21 Oct 2023

> In that unlikely event, I think one would like to see them suffer the indignity of two successive final defeats.

Agreed it's unlikely; personally I'd be happy to see the deserving team win, based on how well they play. If England manage to pull the rabbit out of the hat then good for them, if SA blow them away as expected then they deserve to be in the final. Nothing to be bitter about either way.

As someone else said, the tired old 'anti-England' stance is dull. 

Derry 21 Oct 2023
In reply to Lhod:

If it makes any difference, being from NZ, I'm in the anyone but SA Camp

DaveHK 21 Oct 2023
In reply to Lhod:

> As someone else said, the tired old 'anti-England' stance is dull. 

Only if you're English. 😀

There'd  be something in your statement if England played less dull rugby.

Post edited at 19:38
In reply to DaveHK:

> There'd  be something in your statement if England played less dull rugby.

And had less annoying haircuts.

Wainers44 21 Oct 2023

> And had less annoying haircuts.

Hair cuts annoy you? 

Gosh

In reply to Wainers44:

> Hair cuts annoy you? 

To be fair, they do seem to have dropped the floppiest one. Credit where credit's due.

In reply 

Good luck for the second half. Just turn over if it’s boring. Rebus is probably on. 

Post edited at 20:55
In reply to Wainers44:

> Hair cuts annoy you? 

Not anything like as much as the advert for House Of Bruar at half time. But maybe you were spared that abomination in England. Just off to vomit.

Wainers44 21 Oct 2023

Nope, no House of Bruar. Sorry can't recall which ads we had though. I'm not the target audience,  ever, thankfully....

Lhod 21 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

> Only if you're English. 😀

> There'd  be something in your statement if England played less dull rugby.

Well the statement applies equally to football / any other sport, so your response that it's purely about the style of rugby they play is clearly rubbish 😀.

Aside from that, I do sort of agree with you about the style, though there is something captivating about the attritional grind. I would of course prefer if they were playing more like Ireland/France etc. but you've got to work with what you have!

Phil1919 21 Oct 2023

Whose going to win then? SA look a shadow of themselves. 

In reply to Lhod:

> Well the statement applies equally to football.

No, only rugby for me these days (unless against Scotland). And Australia obviously.

Phil1919 21 Oct 2023
In reply to Phil1919:

Good kick......

In reply to Phil1919:

Englands tactics have pretty much all paid off and they have some fresh legs. What a test match! Never write off a wounded Springbok side though. 

Phil1919 21 Oct 2023

Yep. Still 24 mins to go.

Steward ****ed it. Who'd have guessed!

In reply to Phil1919:

Superb effort Bokke! That was a great test match.

Phil1919 21 Oct 2023

Oh well.

Lhod 21 Oct 2023

Brutal finish! So close for England but not surprised to see the Boks surge at the end to nick it.

I thought it was an enthralling contest and glad it wasn't the steam rollering that was predicted. 

Wainers44 21 Oct 2023

OK, bitter comment, hope the All Black's munch them. 

Glad I'm not planning to carry a TV to the campsites on the OMM now.

England gave it their very best shot.

fred99 21 Oct 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

> A lot of teams use the residency rule including England.

But they don't force people to go to their country (and hence gain a residency status) in order to get an education.

fred99 21 Oct 2023
In reply to Lhod:

Totally agree. Just hope the Springboks get rested before the final - they had by far the hardest semi, and have a day less to recover.

Dr.S at work 21 Oct 2023
In reply to fred99:

> Totally agree. Just hope the Springboks get rested before the final - they had by far the hardest semi, and have a day less to recover.

Shame that.

cracking game though, clever from England, but relentless from SA.

In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

To clarify, I wasn't implying Steward is a bad player. More I didn't think it would be him to fluff the vital play. 

RobAJones 21 Oct 2023
In reply to fred99:

> But they don't force people to go to their country (and hence gain a residency status) in order to get an education.

Is that a bit like talented British kids being forced to go to private schools by being offered a scholarship due to their Rugby ability?

It seems that a few Pacific Isalanders go on to play for New Zealand due to the residency rules, but the majority end up playing for Tonga, Samoa etc.  after going to school in New Zealand. 

Pete Pozman 21 Oct 2023

> Shame that.

> cracking game though, clever from England, but relentless from SA.

Well done England.  They weren't massacred. In fact with just a smidgeon of luck they'd have won it. The Boks have had a gruelling tournament. I wonder if they'll have enough left for the final. Whereas the All Blacks... 

In reply to RobAJones:

Completely, it’s exactly what happened with Tuilagi, Vunipola x2 and countless others. Imagine you are a parent of a talented kid who is offered financial assistance to nurture the talent and receive a great education potentially in another country; you’d consider the offer very seriously indeed. 

Phil1919 22 Oct 2023

How culpable was the guy who gave away the penalty in the scrum with four minutes to go. They said he was the 'first to drop his hip and put his knee on the ground'. Did the strength of the SA forwards mean it was likelyto happen or should he have been more disciplined?

OP pencilled in 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Phil1919:

Well, in my potentially biased view I felt the loose head was working Kyle Sinckler from the moment he came on but I don’t think it was just strength, he actually drops slightly for the pen scrum, having stepped slightly left for the previous collapse. Whilst against the laws of the game, it’s one of the dark arts that is pretty fair in my view. You need a cohesive and well drilled front row to pull it off and to combat it, it’s like they played a great couple of chess moves, or bowled a slow delivery rather than cheated. They would have been trying that with Dan Cole too but not effectively. Proper front row play and worthy of the win for Bokke. 

Dr.S at work 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Phil1919:

Culpable? The SA forwards are incredibly strong, and they have picked props primarily for their scrummaging strength. Our two starting props (Marler and Cole) are very good, and put a huge effort in to give some very stable scrums for the first sixty minutes. 

Genge and Sinckler are props who contribute a lot more in open play, but are less powerful in the scrum. Against most teams they are good enough to hold their own in the scrum, and then add a lot more than Marler/Cole elsewhere.

Genge was just not strong enough or not technically good enough to take the SA power on that occasion. Sinckler gave away most of the penalties in the scrums, on th3vright of the scrum. Genge was penalised for droppings knee to the ground. SA did that a few scrums before and did not get pinged, but hey ho.

(I’ve ignored the hooker and second row, but obviously important as well - George Martin was immense, and I wonder if bringing Dan on might have given us a narrower front row which I found helpful against bigger packs).

Phil1919 22 Oct 2023

When I said 'culpable' it was because it seems to me that in football and rugby, penalties can often be needlessly given away, but you've explained that well to someone whose never played rugby.

nathan79 22 Oct 2023

I chuckled when that came on. It's clear who they think their rugby viewing audience up here is.

Robert Durran 22 Oct 2023
In reply to RobAJones:

The residency thing does seem a bit of a nonsense. Presumably if it were not for the anomaly of the UK fielding four (well, three and a bit) teams it could just go on citizenship and make far more sense.

Post edited at 10:13
 john arran 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Phil1919:

In France, I'm reading severe criticism of the ref during last night's match, mainly I think because a lot of French fans blamed the same ref for their defeat last week, and finding further fault with him now no doubt makes them feel better about their cries of bias and/or incompetence.

RobAJones 22 Oct 2023

> The residency thing does seem a bit of a nonsense. Presumably if it were not for the anomaly of the UK fielding four (well, three and a bit) teams it could just go on citizenship and make far more sense.

The increase to 5 years seems a step in the right direction. It seems to be much less of an issue in football, the days of Pat van den Hauwe qualifying to play for Wales by living in London for a few years, seems along time ago.

If I was Pacific Isalander, I'd worry about a change. Would the New Zealand school system be so keen to develop their talented youngsters if their wasn't the possibility of a few playing for the All Blacks, or is it preventing the developing their own system? I'm not sure, again in football the power is with the clubs so, for example, Man City aren't bothered who their German, Brazilian, Finnish youngsters opt to play for internationally, if they end up being good enough. 

Derry 22 Oct 2023
In reply to john arran:

> In France, I'm reading severe criticism of the ref during last night's match, mainly I think because a lot of French fans blamed the same ref for their defeat last week, and finding further fault with him now no doubt makes them feel better about their cries of bias and/or incompetence.

Quite. I thought the ref had a pretty good, balanced game, and if anything was giving the 50/50 calls towards England for the most of the game. Only until the 'bomb squad' (such a stupid name) came on for the scrum, things started going the way of the boks. deservedly so.

Derry 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Well done England.  They weren't massacred. In fact with just a smidgeon of luck they'd have won it. The Boks have had a gruelling tournament. I wonder if they'll have enough left for the final. Whereas the All Blacks... 

Weren't massacred, and for most of the game played a tactical masterpiece. IF i'm being overly critical, The winning of the game could have been put away in two instances - OF getting marched 10 and making it a kickable penalty for Libbok (inexcusable for a captain). And George's double not straight throw-ins (the second being comical) when in scoring positions. However, its all hypothetical, I don't think anyone would have won a bet on that score. It would have either been a narrow win to England, or a 15+ win to SA. 

OP pencilled in 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Derry:

Yeah I dunno about OF. He’s a chip off the old block. In many ways, a lot of time, I’d take that heart and spirit along with the abrasive attitude. Yesterday was different but he has a lot of credit in the bank with me. 
The missed line-outs were proper Homer Simpson moments but again, it’s rugby, I love it for better or for worse, for richer or poorer etc. 

coinneach 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Derry:

The big problem for World Rugby now is with Owen Farrell going home, who’s going to referee the final ?

Derry 23 Oct 2023

> Yeah I dunno about OF. He’s a chip off the old block. In many ways, a lot of time, I’d take that heart and spirit along with the abrasive attitude. Yesterday was different but he has a lot of credit in the bank with me. 

I agree,  and although I'm not a fan really, that drop goal was incredible, as was his grubber into the corner forcing a knock-on. Not sure many 10s would have nailed that kick, so it really is a good with the bad kind of selection. 

Dr.S at work 23 Oct 2023
In reply to coinneach:

> The big problem for World Rugby now is with Owen Farrell going home, who’s going to referee the final ?

Is Sexton not available?

Derry 27 Oct 2023

Last days of the tournament. Hoping for an AB victory, with England winning tonight. All in all, I've felt its been a pretty good spectacle. Good crowd turn-outs, some surprise wins in pool play as well as some closer games than many would have thought. Quarters were fantastic. 1 semifinal was also a nailbiter.

Any other thoughts before rugby goes away from the UKC threads for another 4 years?

Pedro50 27 Oct 2023
In reply to Derry:

I'm watching England v Belgium womans' soccer instead. Can't be bothered with a third place play-off.

OP pencilled in 27 Oct 2023
In reply to Derry:

Yes I’m with you in terms of expectations in these last couple of games. Similarly, this World Cup has grown on me and I think with the exception of seeding, it has grown into the game too. Reffing has been consistently variable - did we expect anything else, as I said, it’s grown into this game we love. 
Third place playoff is not the red herring it used to be and these days any match is competitive at this level, even Barbarians. Anyway, game on. 

In reply to Pedro50:

Yeah it’s not for everyone. It certainly sets aside the genuine rugby enthusiasts from casual England fans. 

FactorXXX 27 Oct 2023

> Yeah it’s not for everyone. It certainly sets aside the genuine rugby enthusiasts from casual England fans. 

As a neutral watching the game, it would be made better if the commentary wasn't quite so biased.

In reply to FactorXXX:

With two ex England Internationals in the box?

To be fair, it’s reflected in the score, possession and territory so far. 

Post edited at 20:34
 Pedro50 27 Oct 2023
In reply to pencilled in

I'm not really a "fan" casual or otherwise. I have no emotional investment in England's success or failure. I enjoy a decent game; if Wales, Scotland or Ireland play better and win that's fine by me.

I grew up playing in the 1970s when Wales were pretty handy and do have a soft spot for them.

> Yeah it’s not for everyone. It certainly sets aside the genuine rugby enthusiasts from casual England fans. 

In reply to Pedro50:

it’s turning out a pretty competitive game. One score in it with contrasting styles. Game on indeed!

Sean Kelly 27 Oct 2023

Well I wasn't expecting much but it's turning into a good game. Respect to Argentina.

Welsh Kate 27 Oct 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Yes, though that pass for Argentina's first try was definitely forwards! But - if it ain't called, it's a try.

the sheep 27 Oct 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

It definitely looked forward 

England need to move on now and bring through the next generation 

please let us get rid of Farrell 

OP pencilled in 28 Oct 2023
In reply to the sheep:

The second half was very scrappy and showed how those Argentine players can feast in such an environment; Pumas can continue improving, I think. There’s an abundance of talent and it’s exciting to watch. 
England on the other hand needs to find some belief, pace and a subtle reinvention to compete at this level. Why on earth Arundell was invisible in that first half I’ll never know, but you’d always pick a Farrell and a Tuilagi in your side - they soak up back row attention and allow gaps to be worked and opportunities to arise. I thought Ollie Lawrence did enough last night to press for a more involved international role. 

galpinos 28 Oct 2023

After the opening try, I thought England might kick on and play some more expansive rugby but no such luck! I think England were epitomised at the point Tuilangi came off and we had three fly halves on the pitch at once and no game plan.

Credit where it’s due, Borthwick inherited “Eddie Jones’ England” and eight months to sort them out. I’m not sure everyone would agree he managed to sort them out, but he did make them the best team in the Northern Hemisphere…….

Now is the time to ditch the old guard and bring on the new blood.

the sheep 28 Oct 2023
In reply to galpinos:

Agree completely, it took him a while to build Leicester to a championship winning side, and that was working with them full time. 

he started with the forwards which is his area of expertise, and then brought in other coaches for the backs

It is without doubt the time to bring in the younger generation

It did get a bit farcical with three tens on the field

Dr.S at work 28 Oct 2023
In reply to galpinos:

I don’t think England are the best NH team, certainly Ireland, France and probably Scotland are better. maybe equal with Wales?

We are now in a position to build, but let’s not kid ourselves about where we are.

Darron 28 Oct 2023

Free to watch too. Relatively rare nowadays.

OP pencilled in 28 Oct 2023

This final is delivering value!

nathan79 28 Oct 2023

A tight game as I thought it might be with 2 strong teams. It never sits well with me when a team that actually scores a try doesn't come out on top

galpinos 28 Oct 2023

> I don’t think England are the best NH team, certainly Ireland, France and probably Scotland are better. maybe equal with Wales?

Don’t panic, my tongue was very firmly in my cheek when typing that. 

> We are now in a position to build, but let’s not kid ourselves about where we are.

galpinos 28 Oct 2023
In reply to nathan79:

Gutted for New Zealand. 14 men, scored the try and held them to a point.

Good to know we, England, are on a par with NZ…..

OP pencilled in 29 Oct 2023
In reply to galpinos:

Very funny.
One has to credit South Africa. They beat the fittest team in the tournament, the luckiest team, the No 1 ranked side in the world and the All Blacks. 

FactorXXX 29 Oct 2023

> Very funny.
> One has to credit South Africa. They beat the fittest team in the tournament, the luckiest team, the No 1 ranked side in the world and the All Blacks. 

By my reckoning, only two of those facts are correct.

In reply to FactorXXX:j

Crikey yes, why did I think they’d beaten Ireland? What a drunk! They did however squeeze through a group including Ireland and I also think France was a fitter outfit than Wales and England were lucky. 

Dr.S at work 29 Oct 2023

They certainly had a very tough run.

Whats really struck me, more than in 2019, is how it seems to mean a bit more to SA - Kolisi exemplifying that - perhaps gives them that little extra edge?

I thought that of Ireland, France and NZ too, each with teeth a little more gritted, a little more belief in their system. I guess the union between coach and players has been stronger for longer in camp Springbok. 
It was a good tournament however and I’ve been thoroughly entertained. 

Dr.S at work 29 Oct 2023

> I thought that of Ireland, France and NZ too, each with teeth a little more gritted, a little more belief in their system. I guess the union between coach and players has been stronger for longer in camp Springbok. 

> It was a good tournament however and I’ve been thoroughly entertained. 

Oh, I mean beyond that - the sense of it being a national endeavour, of importance to the countries view of itself. NZ have that, Wales do, I think Ireland have maybe built it a bit, SA have it maxed out at the moment.

FactorXXX 29 Oct 2023

In other Rugby news, Eddie Jones has resigned.

Mark Bannan 29 Oct 2023

> And neither do France nor Ireland *deserve* to be out.

I'll leave it to Felipe Contepomi to express my own views. When asked if Argentina were more deserving of a semi-final berth than us, he resoundingly refuted this.

The wait goes on for me - I have followed the RWC since its inauguration and I am getting more and more bitterly disappointed that Ireland still haven't made the semis. I hope we "lay this ghost" in 2027. I feel that if we don't there's a genuine chance I may never see this happen in my lifetime.

The IRFU have improved a lot since the 80s, despite the fact that they are far from ideal as a national rugby organisation. They didn't take the WC seriously until about 1999, probably blowing at least 2 chances for us to make the semis.

Despite IRFU incompetence, we were still totally robbed in 1991. Lost to Scotland controversially and narrowly and were clearly the better team in the QF against the Aussies. We could and should have done much better in 1987 and 95.

Despite many folks perception, we have rarely "choked". We definitely did in 2007 - not only our most disastrous world cup, but possibly the worst for any top tier nation ever (expectation vs reality).

We were unlucky in 2003 (we would have humped Scotland in the quarters if we had topped our group and complacent in 2011 when we did top our group for the first time ever. Wales killed us in that year's QF and the 22-10 scoreline flattered us a lot. We were buggered by injury in 2015. We played well, but were missing over half a dozen starters in the QF that year and the Argies beat us well (unlike in 2011, the score was very harsh on us, even though we were deservedly knocked out on the day).

2019 was our 2nd worst WC ever - combination of complacency and Schmidt losing the plot (why did he not bring Toner - madness!).

This time around, I am very proud of how Ireland played in every match, but the draw was very cruel to us (our group had the teams ranked 1,2 and 5 and the group with which we were paired had nos 3 and 4). Despite all that, I think we were horribly unlucky in the QF. Wayne Barnes gave one of the worst, most biased reffing performances in the history of the tournament, nearly as bad as Joubert in 2015 (Scotland robbed of a SF appearance) and Rolland in 2011 (Wales probably robbed of the title). Barnes gave the ABs at least 6 points for nothing from his revolting incompetence in reffing the scrum and many other minor breaks also went against us. I doubt whether any team as good as us have harshly went out so early, although France suffered similarly this year too.

The consolation for me is the 6N - there is no doubt that with 3 slams and 2 other overall tournament titles, we have been the pre-eminent 6N team recently and we achieved the type of success I could never have seen coming even in 2008 (let alone in the then 5N in the late 90s). I remember talking to an English work colleague in about 1998 about our crap international form and she tried to console me with the idea that "we play very well, considering our small player pool". I managed to enlighten her and also show what true Irish Rugby fans thought at the time - "I was brought up with 2 triple crowns and knowledge of many other great sides in the past, such as our 1979 2-0 series victory in Australia and Willie John McBride captaining us (with great help from the great Mike Gibson) magnificently to the '74 championship. I am used to Ireland succeeding in internationals". They were not my exact words, but close.

Mark Bannan 29 Oct 2023
In reply to Derry:

> ...Not sure many 10s would have nailed that kick, ...

Johnny Sexton would!

In reply to Mark Bannan:

Great  reflection, that. You know what though, Mark, the beer; it still tastes the same. The climbing, the skiing, the Mike Gibson print on the wall - all the same. Best of luck for 6N and the new seeding jamboree. 

Dr.S at work 29 Oct 2023
In reply to Mark Bannan:

Revolting incompetence seems a bit strong - especially in a part of the game that is very hard to ref well, and full of spoofing by both sides.

if the man picked to ref the final is so bad, what does that say about all of the rest - or the laws of the game?

Pete Pozman 29 Oct 2023

> They certainly had a very tough run.

> Whats really struck me, more than in 2019, is how it seems to mean a bit more to SA - Kolisi exemplifying that - perhaps gives them that little extra edge?

But one point wins. The France- Boks , Ireland- NZ,  England-Boks. The final could have been entirely different with a taken penalty here, a missed penalty there. All in all, the results bespeak a genuinely close contest. That's good for rugger.

Would've been better, though, with France v Ireland in the final....

FactorXXX 29 Oct 2023
In reply to Mark Bannan:

So, Ireland would have won the RWC at least once if it wasn't for injuries, poor team selection, unfortunate group seedings and numerous bad refereeing decisions? 

Post edited at 23:41
 FactorXXX 30 Oct 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

>  That's good for rugger.

What's really bad for Rugby is people referring to it as 'Rugger'... 

> Would've been better, though, with France v Ireland in the final....

Totally agree with that.

Mark Bannan 30 Oct 2023

> Best of luck for 6N and the new seeding jamboree. 

Cheers! At least the new seeding should work better. I guess it's a bit like the Football World Cup - game is expanding and the tournament needs enlargement. Rugby had many more strong teams than in '87.

Mark Bannan 30 Oct 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

Not what I said. Might be a good idea to read my post properly.

Mark Bannan 30 Oct 2023

Aye, possibly a bit strong! I should have said nauseating bias or similar! I had thought WB was quite good as a 6N ref, but the hallowed ABs and Aussies aren't involved in that, of course. I still don't understand why on numerous occasions in the first half that he was far too willing to give NZ penalties from scrums instead of simply re-setting them (due to "offences" on both sides of the scrum - why didn't he ask his linesman?). I do feel that Craig Joubert and Alain Rolland's decisions (2018 and 11 respectively) were far worse.

I wish we had Jaco Peyper for ref for the QF - I reckon he's the best ref in the modern game and the 2nd best ref ever (Clive Norling was God!).

Something I am puzzled about is why are so few rugby refs ex-forwards? At least they would know more about the front 5's "tricks of the trade".

OP pencilled in 30 Oct 2023
In reply to Mark Bannan:

> Something I am puzzled about is why are so few rugby refs ex-forwards? At least they would know more about the front 5's "tricks of the trade".

Show me an ex-top flight forward whose knees will see them around the park for 80 minutes and I’ll show you a game of clean scrums.

Maybe?

JimmyClimber24 30 Oct 2023
In reply to the sheep:

Agreed!

OP pencilled in 30 Oct 2023

Its baked into the business plan for SA!

Pete Pozman 31 Oct 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

> What's really bad for Rugby is people referring to it as 'Rugger'... 

You probably don't like the "americanism" "Soccer" as well.

On my council estate in Wakefield in the 60s those were the words we used. 

Hat Dude 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> You probably don't like the "americanism" "Soccer" as well.

> On my council estate in Wakefield in the 60s those were the words we used. 

We called it rugger when I was at school around the same time and that was in Rugby! 

Harry Jarvis 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Hat Dude:

> We called it rugger when I was at school around the same time and that was in Rugby! 

And the well-known phrase 'rugger buggers' is almost certainly not imported from across the pond. 

Mark Bannan 31 Oct 2023

Good point! 

However, given that top flight backs are usually ravaged by their 30s, I may suggest that most refs are certainly ex-players, but backs.

Even with my vitriolic Irish patriotism (possibly kindled by our amazing '85 Championship and Triple Crown), I think Alain Rolland was the worst international ref ever. IIRC, he was capped for Ireland a few times in about 1990 (when the IRFU were useless and should never have selected him) and was the worst ever scrum-half I can remember us ever having! 

I must balance this post a bit - JP Doyle is very good!

Mark Bannan 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Mark Bannan:

Another story about Rolland: remember, he robbed Wales of at least the 2011 WC final if not the trophy and then he robbed Scotland of a deserved and much needed win in Cardiff in 2010.

My wife and I went to Murrayfield a couple of years after these incidents, and when the ref (Alain Rolland that day) was announced over the tannoy, the whole crowd booed loudly and at great length! 67,144 humans all booing the ref - surely the most awesome tribal sound in the Northern Hemisphere!!!                                                                                                                                       

FactorXXX 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> You probably don't like the "americanism" "Soccer" as well.

I associate the term 'Rugger' alongside 'Twickers' and the image I get from both is of the stereotypical one of posh schools that England rugby needs to get rid off it wants to appeal to a bigger market. 

FactorXXX 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Mark Bannan:

> Another story about Rolland: remember, he robbed Wales of at least the 2011 WC final if not the trophy.

I'm Welsh and thought at the time that it was probably a Yellow.
In retrospect and remembering that the IRB had just issued a ruling about the Tip Tackle, then the Red was fully justified.

> My wife and I went to Murrayfield a couple of years after these incidents, and when the ref (Alain Rolland that day) was announced over the tannoy, the whole crowd booed loudly and at great length! 67,144 humans all booing the ref - surely the most awesome tribal sound in the Northern Hemisphere!!!

I remember Rolland refereeing a Wales match in Cardiff shortly after the 2011 World Cup and he was met with booing, but it was a more good natured pantomime type booing as opposed to anything tribal.                                                                             

Mark Bannan 01 Nov 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

> I'm Welsh and thought at the time that it was probably a Yellow.

I think you are correct. Most pundits and everyone I have ever spoken to agrees and still think a yellow would have been fair.

> In retrospect and remembering that the IRB had just issued a ruling about the Tip Tackle, then the Red was fully justified.

There was no intention to harm the French player (soz, can't remember who it was) and in addition, it was a borderline case. Given the aforementioned directive, a bit of leniency was the least poor Sam deserved (as well as a ref who was looking out for his own career, rather than refereeing the match correctly). I really admire Sam for never complaining about the red card, even to this day.

> I remember Rolland refereeing a Wales match in Cardiff shortly after the 2011 World Cup and he was met with booing, but it was a more good natured pantomime type booing as opposed to anything tribal.                   

I think we savaged him more in Murrayfield, although it was good natured. I was being a bit tongue in cheek. Quite a racket, though - 45,000 Scots and over 22,000 Welsh fans - it was great fun!                                                               

FactorXXX 01 Nov 2023
In reply to Mark Bannan:

>  I really admire Sam for never complaining about the red card, even to this day.

Warburton has said numerous times that he deserved a red card for the tackle.                                                     

duncan b 01 Nov 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

> >  I really admire Sam for never complaining about the red card, even to this day.

> Warburton has said numerous times that he deserved a red card for the tackle.                                                     

When discussing it on TV perhaps. However in his book he writes "I honestly don’t know what the fuss is about. I did almost identical tackles twice in the quarters, one on Ronan O’Gara and the other on Stephen Ferris, and neither one caused a problem....... I honestly can’t see how it can be any more than that. I don’t even think it’s a penalty, let alone a yellow card."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/sam-warburton-book-ext...

Mark Bannan 02 Nov 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

My goodness! I never new this! Cheers for helping me - I thought I was quite knowledgeable about rugby, but obviously not really!

Mark Bannan 02 Nov 2023
In reply to duncan b:

Seems a bit of an opposite extreme opinion. I'm sure you're right - I must read his book. Probably better than re-reading "No Borders - Playing Rugby for Ireland" for the 17th time! (although it's a brilliant book and I highly recommend it even if you hate Ireland!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...