UKC

Whats the best band you have seen live

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mux 09 Dec 2008
I was having a wee think last night

you see when I was younger and alive I used to see bands all the time, some gigs standing out more than others..

Last night I saw Kings Of Leon and sunday Cold play

Now I am a Leon man and not a massive Cold play guy ...but I have to say
Mr Martin knows how to give a performance and I enjoyed both very much.

so my question is, do these gigs seem good because they were !,or are my older memories of Rage against the Machine , Beastie boys, Pearl Jam, neil young, wella etc just fading a little as they were such a long time ago.

I cant pick out one gig that beats them all.

BelleVedere 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

I think for me it has to be jurassic 5 - i think because at the time i hadn't even really heard of them - but i was blown away.
 Al Evans 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: The Who, no decision!
 Gasmerchant 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Tool

Lenny Kravitz a close second
 nz Cragrat 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Al Evans:

U2 of course
 Toby S 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Rage Against The Machine at T in the Park in 1994(?). They did a couple of songs with Cypress Hill and they just blew me away.
 anansie 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Queens Of The Stone Age. They were brilliant!
 Chris the Tall 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
Half Man Half Biscuit
OP mux 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Al Evans: I would have loved to have seen them back in the day ...and the Jam ..the kinks, small faces...would do to
4712topo 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Bonzo Dog, followed by King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated and Yardbirds when Clapton was with them.

Steve
OP mux 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Chris the Tall: A mate has seen them a few times ...I never really got into them though I know I should ...I do like his lyrics ...
as for the album titles well they just make me giggle ....obviously very good or they would get the following.
OP mux 09 Dec 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> U2 of course

PHLaaaa!! next

ckm 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Sigur Ros at the Carling Academy Glasgow! Mostly becuase of the confetti!

Closely followed by Lykke Li at the Arches.
OP mux 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Gasmerchant:
> (In reply to mux)
>
> Tool
>
> Lenny Kravitz a close second

I saw tool back in early 90's ...92 maybe ...very good if not a little scary ....I seem to remember a long johns being pulled down at the crotch alot ...

DEvans 09 Dec 2008
In reply to all

ivor biggin

i
 The Pylon King 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Joy Division 1980

Prince 1989
pooh 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: The Jam. farewell tour, Digberth civic hall. only good memory i have of Brum
OP mux 09 Dec 2008
In reply to DEvans: well thats all well and good and I am sure Mrs Evans is a happy woman but what was the best band you have ever seen.
OP mux 09 Dec 2008
In reply to The Pylon King: Did you get the oven gloves ? (1980)
 dunc56 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
> I was having a wee think last night
>
> you see when I was younger and alive I used to see bands all the time, some gigs standing out more than others..
>
> Last night I saw Kings Of Leon and sunday Cold play
>
> Now I am a Leon man and not a massive Cold play guy ...but I have to say
> Mr Martin knows how to give a performance and I enjoyed both very much.
>
> so my question is, do these gigs seem good because they were !,or are my older memories of Rage against the Machine , Beastie boys, Pearl Jam, neil young, wella etc just fading a little as they were such a long time ago.
>
> I cant pick out one gig that beats them all.

Aren't arena stadium/arena gigs sterile though ? I too saw Coldplay and just ached to see them in a small venue. It was just like watching a DVD. A very good lights show and lovely confetti - but that's not what it's about is it ?

I have a theory as to a band's progress - they start off raw and eager - so the shows can be a bit chaotic but entertaining. Then they become more professional, competent and capable while still maintaining at least some of the early energy. Then they become supremely professional and it all gets a bit slick - only on occasion do you then see the old energy poke through. (How could you lift youself to play a song you have played 500+ times live). Then there can be the "just for the money" stage - see the recent Verve tour.

The key is to hit a band just on the cusp between stages one and two. I have done it a few times and it's wonderful.

Of course there are exceptions - when bands just hit the ground running with superb musicianship and amazing energy too.
 vincentvega 09 Dec 2008
In reply to The Pylon King:
> (In reply to mux)
>
>
> Joy Division 1980

Thats certaily one you wont forget i bet!!

tony 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

The Ramones, Leeds Poly, 1977. Absolutely huge fun.
 Toby S 09 Dec 2008
In reply to dunc56:
> (In reply to mux)
> [...]

>
> The key is to hit a band just on the cusp between stages one and two. I have done it a few times and it's wonderful.
>

I'd agree with that. I saw Radiohead just before they released The Bends and they were fantastic. I met Thom Yorke afterwards and he was a thoroughly nice bloke.
 ebygomm 09 Dec 2008
In reply to dunc56: eels, nottingham rock city, 1997 (i think)
OP mux 09 Dec 2008
In reply to dunc56: I'd agree with that Dunc !

take the Kings for example ...they played a few off the new album and about 50% of the crowd went nuts ..because this was all then new ...and to be honest its the weakest stuff they have done!..but you can see it was written for larger venues ..arena rock.

it would have be great to see them an album or two ago but I didnt get the chance sadly.

small gig wise I saw Dread Zepplin in a bar in California ..Feckin Fantastic..

John smith in liverpool was good too...if your into Acoustic stuff
 dispeller 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Sepultura at the Apollo in Manchester.

They did a 2 hour set and blew my mind!!
md@r 09 Dec 2008
In reply to dunc56:
Look on the bright side, as band's career progresses you can catch them at a medium size venue on the way down!
You're right about arenas etc, it's the size of the venue that counts.
Moby was good at an exhibition centre industrial shed (SECC Glasgow) but much better later at the Carling (my favourite in Glasgow).
Kraftwerk were strangely great "live" performers at the Carling despite next to no animation (except when the robots replaced the band) and no interaction with the audience. They made one annoucement at the start in German and avoided the usual
"Good evening [city]! I really love a [nationality] audience! You're so much wilder than [yesterday's venue]".

galpinos 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Ben Folds Five (in 1997).

Probably as:

a) They were the first band I saw live and I was still in that teenage "really obsessed by music/a band" stage
b) Tiny venue and we were right at the front - great atmosphere
c) Met the band afterwards and they were really sound despite us just mumbling into our pints.

I thought Faithless at V98 were great, they made an indie kid consider other forms of music.

My first visit to the Tuesday Club at Sheffield Uni Union for a skint Records gig, dragged by my housemate. Totally new music/scene for me and it became my favourite night out/gig venue.
 Mike Highbury 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Gasmerchant:

> Lenny Kravitz a close second

I saw Kravitz at the Marquee Club in about 1987. His band appeared to be a bunch of musos who were openly laughing at his antics

I must say, he was really good value
 WillCass 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

King of Leon at V festival this summer were very good. But Bon Iver this year in manchester goes down as my most stand out gig.
 Enty 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

The Jam, Blackburn King Georges Hall, 1979.

Weller - "This is our new single - Going Underground"

The Ent
 pigeonjim 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
Slayer at Monsters of Rock in 1995
OP mux 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Enty: GRRR ! I am a tad green sir ...I shake my fist in envy
OP mux 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: though I was only 3 in 79 ..so you can understand why my mum wouldnt let me go
 walts4 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

The pogues in the Hacienda, pure class
 walts4 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Blondie as support....Quite a while back
 Jmes 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Leonard Cohen in November
Broken Social Scene in May

Nothing has even come close to either of those. Well, maybe Go! Team on their last Uk tour, but not for the same reasons.
OP mux 09 Dec 2008
In reply to jmews: Prey Tell what was her Name ?
 brieflyback 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Ramones in 91, I guess. After their prime but still good. Still have my 'Hey Ho Let's Go 1991' t-shirt.
johnj 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Best Live band I ever saw were Big Country

'Stay Alive'
 Dom Whillans 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
i had the dubious pleasure of guest listed entry to codplay when they played the mountford hall in 2002. i was distinctly underwhelmed to the extent i spent the gig talking to showbiz photographer par excellence dave "slimy" evans and getting pished on free beer. the band seemed like nice blokes when i met them afterwards though... good on them and all that, but boring, boring, boring music.

back to OP... best gigs ever - glastonbury 2007 sets by spiritualized and billy bragg made me cry a little, they were so powerful. arcade fire blew me away with as much commitment to what they were doing as macleod on rhapsody. glastonbury 2008 gave me the fabulous penetrators playing in a MASSIVE tipi at 4:00am and that was the best set i've ever seen. i may well have been slightly tipsy and might have been in a slightly illegal frame of mind though; i seem to remember the phrase "i've finally reached a state of chemical perfection" passing my lips more than once that night

MUX - the fabulous penetrators are playing the magnet next saturday (with burlesque dancers); it's in your best interests to come along to this gig as it's my ideal band to ape at the mo...
dazza72 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
Does it really matter?....perhpas you do prefer Coldplay live( i'll pray for you), perhaps Neil Young was shite....memory is flawed, enjoy what you do, remember as much as you can......

Why do you need to have a best gig?....
 dmhigg 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: Rammstein on the Mutter tour. That's my guilty secret admitted to...
johnj 09 Dec 2008
In reply to dazza72:
> (In reply to mux)

> Why do you need to have a best gig?....

If your bestist band ever ever ever 37 is Coldplay maybe you need some hope in your life.

dazza72 09 Dec 2008
In reply to johnj:

Point taken......i glad you thought of that! I missed that one...
OP mux 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Dom Whillans: Would love to whillans ...sadly I have prior on that eve ...so my wife says anyway, dinner with friends ...how rock and roll am I. might even stay up to 11pm

Ah the Magnet ...I loved those days young free and gagging for some funcky acid Jazz girl to talk too
 anonymouse 09 Dec 2008
In reply to pigeonjim:
> Slayer at Monsters of Rock in 1995
I went to Monsters of Rock when Metallica headlined, that was 1995, right?

Metallica were awesome
Therapy? were disappointing cos they played too much new stuff.
Skid Row were awesome
Slayer were double awesome in the old fashioned sense of the word - ten thousand people chanting war, war, war. Sent chills down my spine and then a fat middle aged biker was sick on my shoes and punched me in the face.
Slash's Snakepit were atrocious
White Zombie were awesome
Machine Head looked like leprechauns up there on the big stage, yes they did. So, a bit comical, but the music was good.
Warrior Soul were awesome when they were playing the only song anyone knew.
OP mux 09 Dec 2008
In reply to dazza72: Nothing really matters ...anyone can see.. nothing really matters ......toooooooo meeeeeee...yes I saw them in 86 too

but as your fellow mocker pointed out if cold pay happend to be the best gig ever ..then it might be time to start booking more gigs dont you think, refind my rock youth !!!......crap is this a midlife then ..do I long for years past to return, do I yern for no responcibility once more, days of endless pleasure....

Do I bolox ...it was just a question because I was bored of looking at sports england funding applications...

it not Like I was asking advice on what nut key is needed on point five !
 Dom Whillans 09 Dec 2008
In reply to anonymouse:
> (In reply to pigeonjim)
> [...]
> a fat middle aged biker was sick on my shoes and punched me in the face.

i thought you got that thrown in with the ticket price?

OP mux 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Dom Whillans: I once paid extra for a plastic pint of piss over my head at a Pantera gig
johnj 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
> (In reply to dazza72) .....
> it not Like I was asking advice on what nut key is needed on point five !

Cool music and climbing all on the same thread, I'm saving point five for one of those proper low down dirty crisis days, do I need to take a nut key?

dazza72 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Indeed...well at least you seem to cope with your decrepitude fairly well( barring the deafness that leads you listen to Coldplay)......My solution would be Queens of the Stone Age, Spiritualised and Mercury Rev...and there you may find some of the irresponsibility of youth...mibbe....as for nut advice....you know where to find me and you can boot me in them for my cheek!
 kipper12 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Saw Queen and U2 a few weeks apart, and no question, Queen, Freddy was imense on stage. U2 were superb, but there can be only one Freddy.
 anonymouse 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Dom Whillans:
> i thought you got that thrown in with the ticket price?
The ticket price included being concussed by a plastic bottle half full of sand and half full of syrupy pish.
 Sean Bell 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: Queens of the Stoneage, Glasgow Barrowlands. I was stunned, absolutely on the money, Josh Homme's riffage blew me away.

dunc56 09 Dec 2008
In reply to dunc56: I never answered your question. I've had a few good uns.

Paul Gilbert last year at Leeds Rios - he is so eclectic and so talented.
Jose Gonzalez at the Leadmill.
Shed 7 in Hull - on a sort of comeback tour - still so much energy from the crowd and band and loads of singing along.
Divine Comedy in Manc. Genius in action.
Cynic at Bradford Rios in the 90s - only chance to see them before they split.
Opeth at Bardford Rios - in the early 90s - even the "i don;t watch the support band" people were transfixed by this band.
Morbid Angel and Obituary at Bradford Queens hall - can't remember if it was the same bill, but morbid angel were just amazing. They were so close to being a total mess of white noise, but they stopped short. Amazing. James Murphy playing for Obituary then - so he shone.

Destruction at Leeds Rios recently - only a small crowd, but they were as one - and destruction still went for it.- I missed them in 80s and early 90s but they were worth the wait.

Testament at the Sheffield City Hall in the late 80s ? They blew Anthrax clean of the stage with all the poseurs aghast

I could go on.

Note most, if not all of these I was down there at the front - I could "feel" the gig. It was not shared with 35,000 people and no one pissed in my pocket.
 jim robertson 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Stoneroses. Lancaster Sugar House.... I think it was '88.
OP mux 09 Dec 2008
In reply to dazza72:
> (In reply to mux)
>
> Indeed...well at least you seem to cope with your decrepitude fairly well( barring the deafness that leads you listen to Coldplay)......My solution would be Queens of the Stone Age, Spiritualised and Mercury Rev...

I have a few Spiritualised and even think I might have seen them once at a festival somewhere along the line (hazey times) ....put nightmares on wax in that mix to...
As for Queens of the stoneage ..not had that pleasure yet ...not into the revolution though.

would say deafness...more a toloration of noise i did it for the wife ...
But I stand firm they were very good ...
I took her to see the feeling a while back to..and again they were great and I hate the music...that guy should give up the feeling and front line Queen ..he did a great freddy

Blue Straggler 09 Dec 2008
Electrelane
 overdrawnboy 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to mux) The Who, no decision!

seconded but with slight leaning towards Ian Dury and the Blockheads
 Marc C 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: Many excellent gigs. For nostalgic reasons, Status Quo (Trentham Gardens, 1973?). Crowded House (the Together Alone tour at Manchester Apollo, mid 90s), Jackson Browne (Manchester Academy, mid 90's)Arthur Lee's Love (Manchester Academy, about 7 years ago), Lloyd Cole (solo at Leeds City Varieties Hall, late 90s), Hugh Cornwell (ex-Stranglers) at Hebden Bridge Picture House (a few years ago), Brian wilson (Smile! tour MEN Arena 3 years ago), Keane (supporting Travis, Manchester Academy - about 4 years ago) and, more recently, Wilko Johnson (ex-Dr Feelgood) with the bassist from Ian Dury's Blockheads (Hebden Bridge Trades Club 2007).
dazza72 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Ah the wonder of 'Smokers' Delight'.....hazy and funky indeed. One for the ears..The Cinematic Orchestra- the best band i have seen live.

New Mercury Rev album is a killer..worth a punt
 Mikkel 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Smashing Pumpkins at Tivoli in Copenhagen. At the insane ticket price of 2.5 pound

Paradise Lost at the little local place in Esbjerg was also very very good.
 Guy 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: The Foo Fighters this summer were PDG especially with the Led Zep encore but for intensity I would have to go with Faith no More at the Marquee Club followed by Guns and Roses in their prime.
 Tom Last 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

The Cure, PJ Harvey, Rage Against the Machine, Prodigy (on several occasions) and the Pogues all spring to mind.
 JimR 09 Dec 2008
In reply to overdrawnboy:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
> seconded

Thirded, I was fortunate enough to see them when Keith Moon was still alive

Toby S 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

I forgot to add:

Jeff Healey at the Barrowlands back in 1992.
Elastica at the Leeds festival in 1999
Editors at Belladrum in 2005 - it was the first 'proper' band that my then 4 year old daughter had ever been to and she loved in. She moshed along to Biffy Clyro later on in the evening.
 Tree 09 Dec 2008
In reply to anonymouse:
> (In reply to pigeonjim)
> [...]
> I went to Monsters of Rock when Metallica headlined, that was 1995, right?
Yeah- 1995. Only time I got it together to go, I was a big Warrior Soul fan at the time, and loved the set, was then blown away by White Zombie. I even bumped into Slash just before he went on, he was having a quiet roll up by one of the vans!

Best gig for me is between Pantera 1n 1991 (Supporting Megadeth) and Sisters of Mercy in 1998. I haven't seen a live band for a few years now, about time I did, methinks.
 anansie 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Oh! forgot Velvet Revolver! They were shit hot!
 Tall Clare 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Aphex Twin in Norwich a few years ago.

Lamb in Manchester a few years ago.
mm548 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

I have to say Maximo Park were extremely good when I saw them live!
That said, I am seeing Kings of Leon tomorrow, and can't bloody wait :oD
 The Pylon King 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to mux)
>
> Aphex Twin in Norwich a few years ago.

what does he do live?
>
> Lamb in Manchester a few years ago.

supported them in madchester 10 years ago!

Tall Clare 09 Dec 2008
In reply to The Pylon King:

lies on the ground and twiddles knobs, mostly I just remember a brilliant brilliant atmosphere, and muchos dancing.
 JimR 09 Dec 2008
In reply to JimR:

Only possibly matched by Rory Gallagher
 martin heywood 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Joni Mitchell.
The Clash.
XXXX 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Radiohead - South Park.

One of those defining moments.
 Tall Clare 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Eric the Red:

what did it define?
 SGD 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: tough one this..... but Sheelanagig, I'd never heard of them but they were my highlight from the Beautifull days festival this year
XXXX 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Everything. My life, the period, the band.

Jon Jones 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Velvet Revolver a few years ago, just after the 1st album. Scott Weilland is a quality front man!

Joe Satriani was amazing. didn't fall asleep like at Vai.

Fun Lovin Criminals at G.A.Y. were amazing!
 Mr Powly 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Pentangle this summer - true super group
 spot77 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
Muse when they headlined reading a few years back.
Not a big fan on them but laser show and flashing lights made it for me
 Mike C 09 Dec 2008
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to mux)
>
> The Ramones, Leeds Poly, 1977. Absolutely huge fun.

Saw them in 1980 (in a run of 3 gigs in 3 weeks starting with Peter Gabriel & ending with gary Glitter), very good, but they could only play to the front few rows. I think this was just after Phil Spector took them on.

For me, probably The Clash, so good I saw them twice. Once prior to Sandinista & once on the Sandinista tour. After watching the film on Joe Strummer the other week, the new Shea Stadium album has gone on my Xmas list.
ICE 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: Don't know if they are the best band I've seen live but I would say the Buzzcocks were awesome when they played a small gig in darlo earlier this year, enjoyed the gig more than any other I been to.
 toad 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: I'm struggling. This year Rush was a fantastic arena show, all lights and back projections. British Sea Power were a proper sweaty jump up and down do, but Bellowhead were probably the ones that did it for me, but then they were the last act at a really good festival (shresbury) so maybe the mood was right.

Worst concert by a mile - Frank Zappa- his last UK concert and it was dull beyond tedium
 Stevie A 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Mike C:

Second The Clash on the Sandinista tour. Awesome to my impressionable 14 year old mind.
The Prodigy - Glastonbury 1995, loads of people binned off Oasis, which I thought was a smart move.
The first ever Womad (1982) - Echo and the Burundimen!!
Pearl Jam in 2000 - best muso gig.
 anonymouse 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
The most amazing band I've seen live is Paradise Lost. I saw them twice in small clubs. The rhythm of the music seems to be at the precise resonant frequency of a crowd. Perfect jumping up and down and head-banging music.
4712topo 09 Dec 2008
In reply to 4712topo:

Also: Not sure that it ranks as best but was one of the most notorious - the 1966 Free Trade Hall concert that Dylan did (Judas!!); The Bath Festival of '69 or '70 with Zappa, Zeppelin, Jefferson Airplane, Byrds, Moody Blues, Fairport, Colosseum, Steppenwolf, Canned Heat and Pink Floyd amongst others must rank as one of the best group do's; Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers featuring Freddie Hubbard; Brubeck, Rollins, Monk, etc. ah the good ol' days. The Nice were entertaining too.

Steve
mick o the north 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to mux)
>
> The Jam, Blackburn King Georges Hall, 1979.
>
> Weller - "This is our new single - Going Underground"
>
> The Ent

You old twt ! But who were the support ?
mick o the north 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Mike C:
> (In reply to tony)
> [...]
>
> Saw them in 1980 (in a run of 3 gigs in 3 weeks starting with Peter Gabriel & ending with gary Glitter), very good, but they could only play to the front few rows. I think this was just after Phil Spector took them on.
>
> For me, probably The Clash, so good I saw them twice. Once prior to Sandinista & once on the Sandinista tour. After watching the film on Joe Strummer the other week, the new Shea Stadium album has gone on my Xmas list.

Saw the Sandanista tour at Mcr Apollo with me bruvver we still talk about it !!
 Mike C 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mick o the north:
> (In reply to Enty)
> [...]
>
> You old twt ! But who were the support ?

I saw The Jam at a similar time, Stiff Little Fingers were supporting them then.
Another oldie!

Bill Davidson 09 Dec 2008
In reply to toad:
> >
> Worst concert by a mile - Frank Zappa- his last UK concert and it was dull beyond tedium

I think that could possibly be because he was suffering from prostate cancer at the time so possibly not feeling his best :-0
 CarolineMc 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
Best big gig - Bon Jovi, Wembley, '95. Not my favourite band but an amazing gig. 82,000 people all bouncing! Bob Geldof popped up and sang a few songs too. It was ace.

Best small gig - seen lots of good ones over the last few years, but Maxïmo Park at the Manchester Academy were top.

C-:
Andrew Murray 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: Boris, NoMeansNo, Sugar, Underground Resistance, Ella Fitzgerald, The Magic Band
In reply to mux:

The four best gigs I have been to, in no paricular order, are

Radiohead at Bridlington spa on The Bends tour.
The Cure at the RDS in Dublin in 89, Disintegration tour, played for about 2 and half hours.
U2 Croke park 87, joshua tree tour.

And an odd one where I dragged a few friends along to see the Ozric Tentacles at a poky little club in North Carolina in 1999. I had never even heard anything by them before then but I decided to go along for the hell of it. It was a brilliant night, the place was absolutely jumping by the time they finished and they must have played for at least a couple of hours it was quite mental.
 Mooncat 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Professor Bunsen:

best have been:

Hawkwind
Black Sabbath
The Ramones

If I had to pick a very best I reckon the Ramones one just about.
 Nigel R 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to dunc56)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> I'd agree with that. I saw Radiohead just before they released The Bends and they were fantastic. I met Thom Yorke afterwards and he was a thoroughly nice bloke.

I saw them between OK Computer and Kid A. Guess that will have been Stage 3!

Kings Of Leon at the tiny seaside theatre in Bridlington....smashing!
 waterbaby 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

As much as it pain me to say it, Queen 'It's a Kind of Magic tour' at Knebworth 1986. I didn't even care that much about Queen but it was really a fantastic day. I spent the whole journey spewing up, as had mammoth hangover, but was soon relieved by hair of the dog. Supporting were Status Quo (who were trying to fit in about 5 gigs in one day and arrived by helicopter, if i'm not mistaken Big Country as well. 4 hours to get off the car park
 James Oswald 09 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
Angels and Airwaves were brilliant. However they were the only band that I've seen live....
 Stu Tyrrell 10 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: Beatles (twice) Temptations, Cream, Stones...........

Stu
 Rob Oram 10 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: The Cure in '87 were excellent...they played for nigh on 3 hrs and their encore included Robert Smith appearing in Santa Outift singing "here it is merry christmas"! Seen REM a couple of times and they are always good value. One of the best bands I ever saw were The Bolshoi, always excellent live. Hmm....sure there are lot's of others but can't think of them at the moment.
 Steve Kirman 10 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Muse.

oh, and back in 1988, Pink Floyd. Awesome.

In reply to mux: Tough one - seen so many good live band, some all ready mentioned, Rage Against The Machine (Big Day Out - Sydney), Tool, Iron Maiden, Muse, Plant & Page (Glastonbury - played loads of esoteric Led Zep stuff).

Musically, I would say any one of the 3 Rush gigs I've been to.

But as a whole show it has to be Queen, Wembly Stadium '86 - Kind Of Magic Tour - the one that's been on the telly a few times.

None of the good ones have faded in my mind, they all seem crystal clear - just as if they were yesterday! Fond memories that I will always carry.
Removed User 10 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Alex Harvey Band, Edinburgh Playhouse. 1991.

Fredt 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Hmmm...
Led Zeppelin
Frank Zappa
Santana
Steppenwolf
Johnny Winter
John Mayall
Country Joe and the Fish
Fairport Convention
The Byrds
Coliseum
Canned Heat

...and they were all on the one bill...
Jefferson Airplane

morphus 11 Dec 2008
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to mux) Arthur Lee's Love

yeah, Love @ Glasters 2004(?) was one of my faves- after all those years, still as fresh as ever..
morphus 11 Dec 2008
In reply to Fredt: lucky (old) bastard..
johnj 11 Dec 2008
In reply to Fredt:

That is some line up!
 rh5980 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: squarepusher at glastonbury this year
 David Hooper 11 Dec 2008
In reply to Fredt:

That would have been bath & Shepton Mallet ? Best fezzy I ever went to
 Helen R 11 Dec 2008
In reply to Toby S:

Just caught up with this thread - i was down the front against the barrier at rage against the machine at t in the park, back in the day. Those were the days. I used to go to so many gigs then, i wonder why i stopped sometimes. Age I guess. And a reluctance to get quite so bruised.
 Fidget 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Muse
Symposium
 Dave C 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: I still haven't seen anything to match Midnight Oil in their live glory days of the early 80s. That their front man is now our Environment Minister just makes me feel a trifle old!
Derbyshire Ben 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

>I cant pick out one gig that beats them all.

Neither can I but I remember all these as being fantastic

NoMeansNo
Fugazi
Slayer
Jack Rose
Moloko
Bonnny Prince Billy
Iggy and the Stooges
Sonic Youth
Sun Ra
Coil
Erik B and Rakim
Rollins Band
 DougG 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Bob Marley & The Wailers, Glasgow Apollo, July 1980.
 Martin Davies 11 Dec 2008
Oasis on the last night of the Electric Proms 08 at Roundhouse, Camden.
WOW!! They were brilliant! Wanted to see them for ages and they didn't disappoint.
M
 John_10 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
Saw Pearl Jam last year in London and there still awesome.
 mark20 12 Dec 2008
In reply to dunc56:
I saw Cynic and Opeth a few weeks ago. By far the best gig I've ever seen.
 mbh 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Most of the concerts I went to were in a short period of my life around 1980-1982. Best, so far as i remember, were,

Rory Gallagher, The Q Tips at the Venue in London (I think this was THE best gig, such fun), Richard Thompson in a sweaty, cramped cellar in Cambridge, and for stadium rock, The Who, ACDC and the Stranglers all on the same bill at Wembley Stadium, 1979.

Sacrilege this, but the Clash and the Jam weren't so good - the Birmingham Corn Exchange had lousy acoustics, and I spent my whole time trying to avoid being crushed.

Lou Reed was pretty good about 10 years later.

I think I would enjoy a Vampire Weekend gig very much.

Best missed opportunity was probably at the Bristol Locarno (an ice rink venue as big as it sounds) in Bristol in 1980 - my mate siad that there was this band, called U2 or something, and I said, naaahhh...
 mbh 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Actually, can I cross genres? - I have also really enjoyed a few classical concerts. The thing I liked about Richard Thompson, and which makes me watch him over and over again on YouTube, the thing that makes me stop and watch really good buskers if I see one (an old bloke sitting on a crate, playing amazing slide guitar blues in Dublin springs to mind), is that thing about just doing it - no protection, no pretence, just up there, out there, playing, and playing really, really well. I like solo, stripped-down music, and although I don't like the stuffiness of classical concerts, i have got a real buzz out of watching fantastic clasical musicians up close doing what they do best. Piano recitals by Radu Lupu, Steven Kovacevich and Jorge Bolet have stayed with me years later, and what I would really like is to see a world-class violinist or cellist play the solo pieces by Bach.
 BigHell 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Got to be Yes for me .
peterwales 31 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
In no particular order, but firstly the "big old ones"; The Who; the Rolling Stones, (but not in recent years); Pink Floyd; Led Zeppelin, Neil Young. Dylan at Bluckbush in 1978. Bruce Springsteen.
Slightly lesser known: Richard Thompson; Fairport Convention at any Cropredy festival; Jethro Tull in their heyday; Lucinda Williams more recently.
Much less known, sadly no more, but a brilliant band in their mid-80's North London heyday- the wondefull Balham Alligators! One of the best live acts ever!
 Gibson 31 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Rage Against The Machine in Berlin.

Off the hook.
 teflonpete 31 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction at the Astoria in 1987 (I think), F***in' amazing!
Guns n Roses at Hammy O,
Faith No More at Brixton Academy.
They were my best gigs.
Anthrax, Metalica, The Cult, AC/DC, Whitesnake and more recently Foo Fighters were all great but the venues were too big.
The only band I ever saw that pulled off a stadium gig were Queen when Freddie was front man.
My missus reckons R.E.M were shi*e
 Reaver2k 31 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Daft Punk, absolutely unreal! Followed by Muse, then Foo Fighters, then Kings of Leon, etc etc.

No-one even got close to Daft Punk though.
 Rob Naylor 31 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

The Who, Leicester Granby Halls, 1975

No 2 was probably Led Zeppelin, St George's Hall, Bradford, 1972

No 3 was probably Eels with Strings, Albert Hall, 2006, or it may have been British Sea Power at Pressure Point in Brighton in 2006

And then hordes of them...the Stones, Yes, King Crimson, Fairport, CSNY, Jefferson airplane, Pink Floyd, Dylan, Camel, Small Faces, ELP, Leonard Cohen, just far too many to mention.

One that really stands out from early on though was Vinegar Joe at Bradford Uni in 1972. Never liked Elkie Brooks or Robert Palmer as solo artists, but that night the whole place just rocked. Superb.

And a few weeks ago I saw Tiny Tin Lady in a 60 seater venue in Maidstone which was a superb intimate show...lots of chat to the audience and some really good musicianship from the girls. Not in my top 10 ever gigs, but the best gig I went to in 2008.
 Big Steve 01 Jan 2009
In reply to Rob Naylor: I havent been to many gigs, but Public Enemy, Birmingham in about 1988-89, Placebo in 98 both stand out. I always wished I could have seen the Stone Roses live
 arctickev 01 Jan 2009
In reply to mux:

Eddie Grant for his overwhelming positive energy!

Kev
 Chris H 01 Jan 2009
In reply to mux: I always find the amount of attempted "interaction" with the audience to be inversely proportional to the quality. Another vote for Spiritualised and respect to JP for steadfastly avoiding any eye contact with the audience let alone speaking or instigating mexican waves etc
 mattsccm 01 Jan 2009
In reply to mux:
Ramones. No competition. Made my pint vibrate off a shelf.
 alexrankine30 01 Jan 2009
In reply to mux:
Radiohead were Awesome
 Andy Hudson 01 Jan 2009
In reply to mux:
Elbow... booked to see them again in Sheffield

Lawman 02 Jan 2009
In reply to mux:

Metallica

David Bowie - 3rd July 1983 (yes I'm that old)

Korn (at Wolverhampton Civic in 95) supported by Incubus before they became well known - what a brilliant show.

Rich
 Nick Eh! 02 Jan 2009
In reply to mux: er....Dave Matthews. no arguments
 Blue Straggler 04 Jan 2009
electrelane
peter pan 04 Jan 2009
In reply to kipper12:
> (In reply to mux)
>
> Saw Queen and U2 a few weeks apart, and no question, Queen, Freddy was imense on stage. U2 were superb, but there can be only one Freddy.

@last a voice of reason, some many come a close second but sadly we will never such a showman again.

PP.

andy 04 Jan 2009
In reply to mux: Psychedelic Furs, Liverpool Uni about 1984. Top bloke, Butler.
 SC 04 Jan 2009
In reply to mux:

I have seen some awesome bands this year.
Rage Against The Machine, Foo Fighters, The Hives, Queens of the Stone Age, The Briggs, Serj Tankian & Rancid. But the best two bands have to be Biffy Clyro, never seen a band that had so much energy & never heard so much noise come from three people. The Editors played their Glastonbury warm up show in Frome, biggest band we have ever had in town & they blew the roof off the old cattle market shed! I wasn't expecting a lot from them but, partly because of the tiny venue it was probably the best gig I have ever been to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...