UKC

best place to live

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kev74 23 Oct 2011
Where is the best single place to live in britain for climbing.Somewhere within easy reach of the best climbing indoors and out.

Microwired22 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty: Sheffield.
England2011 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty: Depending on the type of climbing you like.. I'd probably say Sheffield.
 Jon Stewart 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty: Most people will say Sheffield or North Wales. North Wales has a bigger variety of better, far more spectacular climbing. But I'm not sure I'd want to live there.

Sheffield, in contrast to N Wales, is (on the leafy west side) a friendly city with decent amenities. It's bollocks for going out compared to Manchester and Leeds (which are both within an hour), but has plenty of good pubs. The after-work climbing, in spring at any rate, has to be the best in the world?
 The Pylon King 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty:

Bristol

it's grim up north and full of mithering wankers
 Tom Last 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty:

In the Southwest, probably Plymouth or Exeter. In easy reach of several walls, Dartmoor bouldering and trad on your doorstep, massive trad and DWS adventures close by in the South Hams. The Culm about an hour away from either and West Cornwall within two hours drive. Exeter's a good city to live in, couldn't say either way for Plymouth.

Probably the best spots in the South West anyway. Although I'm sure Bristol, Llanberis, Sheffield, Glasgow, Inverness etc are all just as good, if not better.
 Landy_Dom 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty:

Lived in the Bangor area for about 15 years - easy reach of Llanberis, Ogwen, Anglesey and the excellent Beacon climbing centre. Only disadvantage is the tiresome business of employment opportunities - hence moving to Flintshire 5 years ago.

Having said that, Flintshire's a lot better for climbing than I was expecting, and I'm getting to like limestone after years of concentrating on slate

First post here by the way - hello to all!

Dom.
 tlm 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty:

Draw circles from the main climbing areas of the UK, and where do they intersect? Stoke!

Stoke has the advantage of being in the west, so near to North Wales, the Lakes and not even that far to Pembroke/Cornwall, as well as having the Peak on the doorstep.

It's a very cheap place to live too.

The downsides are that the main local wall, although it has great bouldering, has no leading, and that there just isn't such a big climbing scene as other places.
dan 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty: Newcastle
In reply to Southern Man: Nah, the scene in the South West is crap compared to North Wales or the Peak.

North Wales is probably the best place to live if you like adventure trad and you can make a life you enjoy here.

Bristol would be my second choice, good vibrant scene, nice city, good cragging and walls in really close proximity and close to Pembroke, Devon, Cornwall, Swanage and not too far from peak/N.W.

Just my tuppence worth... Dunc
 Cammy 23 Oct 2011
In reply to Southern Man:

Glasgow’s good if you’re looking for variety. Many different rock types, road side crags, mountain crags, bouldering, summer climbing, winter climbing trad and sport all within easy reach and it just got a whole lot better with the opening of The Glasgow Climbing Academy. There are, however, really two downsides. Rain and midges!!
 Ramblin dave 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty: Llanberis and Fort William seem like the best shouts purely for amazing outdoor climbing on the doorstep.

In realistic terms, though, for someone who likes to have a job and nightlife and stuff to do when it's raining and things like that, places like Sheffield, Bristol, Leeds, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc look good.
 Jon Stewart 23 Oct 2011
In reply to Pylon King: Apologies in advance for commenting on something I have no first hand experience of, but

isn't the local/evening climbing at Bristol absolutely sh!t?

I know some people like urban, polished limestone, but they don't really know what they're talking about, do they?
 stvredmond 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty: No one going to say Pembroke way? That would be my place of choice, loads of excellent rock. Though maybe too far out the way for some people. Some where In the peak would be my second choice
 Bulls Crack 23 Oct 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Pylon King) Apologies in advance for commenting on something I have no first hand experience of, but
>
> isn't the local/evening climbing at Bristol absolutely sh!t?
>
Blimey - the biggest and best urban crag in the country!

Manchester's pretty good - Pex, walls, Lakes, Wales, Peak, Lancs quarries....forget I said that.....Yorkshire grit.

Tom Last 23 Oct 2011
In reply to Duncan Campbell:
> (In reply to Southern Man) Nah, the scene in the South West is crap compared to North Wales or the Peak.

Hmm, not amount of scene is gonna make me any less of a coward, and I kind of like the quiet cliffs down here.

Not climbed at Gogarth, but neither have I climbed at Carn Gowla, Pentire, or Tintagel yet either. On balance for me, I think the climbing in the Southwest is better than in North Wales.

Still, Scotland blows everything else out of the water
 Tom Last 23 Oct 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Pylon King) Apologies in advance for commenting on something I have no first hand experience of, but
>
> isn't the local/evening climbing at Bristol absolutely sh!t?
>
> I know some people like urban, polished limestone, but they don't really know what they're talking about, do they?

If you want polished limestone, head for the RHS of sea walls, the rest of the gorge is fine!
 Al Doig 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty: Marsden!!!
 Ciderslider 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty: Forget all your fancy locations like Sheffield and North Wales, the best place to live for a climber is Worthing in west Sussex. It's miles from anywhere good and close to a micro indoor climbing wall.
Sussex sucks !
 Jon Stewart 23 Oct 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack: I guess for me, the 'best urban crag' is a bit like the 'best pint that's been pissed in', if you see what I mean.
 Bulls Crack 23 Oct 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack) I guess for me, the 'best urban crag' is a bit like the 'best pint that's been pissed in', if you see what I mean.

I think you'd better go and see for yourself. There are some great climbs there..and some polished horrors
 nick bamber 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty: anywhere in lancashire, its got the best access to all the motorways, your never more than an hour and a half away from world class venues, lakes, peak, malham, north wales (providing you dont pussy about with the accelerator), 5 hours to fort bill and 6 hours to newquay for the surfing! the women arent to bad either....
 Dave 88 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty:

I'm surprised everyones not saying somewhere down Cornwall given that in the "Best crag in England" thread, loads of the crags (bosigran, sharpnose etc) are down that way.
 TheHorroffice 23 Oct 2011
In reply to ty:
Newcastle x2.
Best climbing, best Bouldering, best drinking in the country, and its all in the most underpopulated county in England.
 Ramblin dave 23 Oct 2011
In reply to Dave 88:
Long way from any big mountain crags / winter routes, though...
 Pete Ford 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Landy_Dom:

Hi there, welcome to UKC. Living in the flat lands of the south for the past twenty years, but found North Leeds to be where it was at. Great climbing within bike ride (Caley, Almscliff, Hetchell etc) and easy car ride to many other great gritstone and limestone classics. Combined with good nightlife and pubs, and being far enough away from the centre to be fairly civilised.

Pete
fxceltic 24 Oct 2011
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to ty)
>
> Draw circles from the main climbing areas of the UK, and where do they intersect? Stoke!
>
> Stoke has the advantage of being in the west, so near to North Wales, the Lakes and not even that far to Pembroke/Cornwall, as well as having the Peak on the doorstep.
>
> It's a very cheap place to live too.
>
> The downsides are that the main local wall, although it has great bouldering, has no leading, and that there just isn't such a big climbing scene as other places.

the other, rather obvious, downside being that you would be living in Stoke...
 graeme jackson 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Pete Ford:
> (In reply to Landy_Dom)
>
> Hi there, welcome to UKC. Living in the flat lands of the south for the past twenty years, but found North Leeds to be where it was at.

Having lived in north leeds for about 8 years until 1994 I'd almost be tempted to agree with this but now that I'm somewhat older I think I'd rather go for Harrogate. Still handy for almscliff, Caley, Shipley, etc by bike but it's easier to get out to skipton and beyond from harrogate and brimham is obviously closer. North York moors are handy as are the lakes and south Northumberland. I don't go clubbing nowadays but from visits to friends, i know that harrogate has a couple of pretty decent live music bars still.
 PeterM 24 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g:

Scotland's rubbish. I'd stay south of the border if I were you.
 graeme jackson 24 Oct 2011
In reply to PeterM:
> (In reply to 654g)
>
> Scotland's rubbish. I'd stay south of the border if I were you.

better off staying south of hadrian's wall too.
 owlart 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Ciderslider:
> (In reply to ty) Forget all your fancy locations like Sheffield and North Wales, the best place to live for a climber is Worthing in west Sussex. It's miles from anywhere good and close to a micro indoor climbing wall.
> Sussex sucks !

Yay, another Worthingite! Yep, we're miles from anything that even vaguely looks like good rock Adur wall's alright, I suppose!
 nealh 24 Oct 2011
In reply to ntb: reminds me of a guy in a climbing club I used to go to who was moving to Huddersfield with his work, when we asked him what Huddersfield had to offer he paused for a few moments the said "well its got a great ring road"
 Maria - Spanny 24 Oct 2011
I would say Llanberis, nice town full of local friendly people, is usually sunnier than the pass, loads of climbing in every single direction with a ver good selection of different type of rock and for the night clubers is not too far of any city.... but it would be a shame if everyone goes to live there, so don't listen to me, don't go is rubbish and full of Welsh
 Bob578 26 Oct 2011
In reply to:
heathrow airport
 Seymore Butt 26 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g:

Try Clitheroe or Burnley Lancashire, 863 crags within 50 miles radius according to the UKC crag search map.
Lots of mountain biking trails and climbing walls nearby, and easy access to motorways and 3 international airports.
 SARS 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Barrbaag:
> In reply to:
> heathrow airport

Seconded
 Rubbishy 26 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g:

Skipton, it's the new Sheffield but with sheep and now with added pondering.

Seriously, I drove over Lofthouse Moor the other day and I saw 2 cows, a cyclist and three cars - total wilderness.

try doing that in the Peaks / Peak / overrated gubbins jammed between the mildering piles that are Sheffield and Manchester
 Helnorris 26 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g: Either the peak district, cornwall or pembroke I feel.

All stunning places with brillant climbing
 AJM 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> commenting on something I have no first hand experience of, but

> they don't really know what they're talking about, do they?

How ironic...

The road noise is irritating, for sure. But generally a lot of people who slate Avon either don't climb hard enough to enjoy it (the polish thins out above a certain level or away from certain bits like Sea Walls) or, how do I put it, don't climb well enough to have avoided getting spanked/scared/etc on their route of choice!

And the accessibility of the other nearby crags, combined with being at the crossroads of a number of major motorways, combined with the excellent indoor walls for those times you really can't climb at Avon (which usually only means in the dark or when it's actually raining), means it'd be one of my top picks for location. My current one isn't too bad, reasonably convenient to everywhere except the north east, but I think Bristol beats it still...
 Franco Cookson 26 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g:

I think it would be pretty cool to live aroun the east pennines. There's some beautiful little outcrops up there, you can get to the moors and lakes quite easily and yorkshire grit and Limestone if you misplace your soul.

Or maybe the north west? Lakes, limestone, wilton and stuff. Scotland and wales not tooo bad
 Mark Bannan 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Cammy:
> (In reply to Southern Man)
>
> Glasgow’s good if you’re looking for variety.

Hear, hear!

>Many different rock types, road side crags, mountain crags, bouldering, >summer climbing, winter climbing trad and sport all within easy reach

Absolutely! Not far at all to the 'Coe and the Ben!

>There are, however, really two downsides. Rain and midges!!

Only from May-September, in the sticks, in certain conditions (crappy, windless, still, humid days after rain - usually near bogland or woods!)

Sherlock 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Mark Bannan:
> (In reply to Cammy)
> [...]

>
> Only from May-September, in the sticks, in certain conditions (crappy, windless, still, humid days after rain - usually near bogland or woods!)

You mean the climbing season then
 efrance24234 27 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g: bolton
 franksnb 27 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g: anyone who has suggested anywhere on the west coast is a not thinking logically. the weather in the uk comes in predominantly from the west therefore the most rain falls in (drum roll) the west.

i can vouch for plymouth being shit. but the southwest is great when its not raining. i strongly disagree with the suggestions of exeter and bristol.

a friend on mine exhausted all the climbing around newcastle within 2 years. but i don't know the city, it may be awesome..

Sheffield

just my opinion of course.
 franksnb 27 Oct 2011
In reply to franksnb: glasgow, are you having a laugh? over zealous patriotism?
 Jonny2vests 27 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g:

The proper answer to that must be Llanberis.

But the real answer is actually Sheffield if you want a job / life / friends.

The most important variable can be summed up with the two magical words "Evening Cragging". From W Sheffield, you can get to an astounding amount of quality venues in less than 30mins.

The question gets really interesting when posed on a global scale...
 Jon Stewart 27 Oct 2011
In reply to AJM: I'm not denying that some people enjoy climbing on urban limestone. They climb for different reasons to me.

I'm absolutely certain that for evening climbing, given the choice between urban limestone and climbing in a beautiful rural setting (moorland, dale, woodland, etc) on other rocktypes, I'd always choose the latter. Much of climbing for me is about getting out of the city, into a beautiful natural environment, as well as about doing the moves.

One day I'll climb at Avon. If I find I like it more than climbing grit/sandstone/rhyolite/granite/quartzite etc somewhere pleasant, then I'll be so shocked and ashamed that I'll chop off both hands so I can't post any more nonsence on places I've never been.
 bandit12 27 Oct 2011
For me it has to be the North West, Chester/Cheshire area.

Nearest Crags, 5 mins away Helsby, Frodsham etc,
10-15 mins, Pex, Frosgmouth
25 mins, awesome Clwyd limestone in beautiful settings
45 mins, most of Lancashire, Nesscliffe
1hr 10mins, most of Snowdonia, Gogarth, some Peak
1hr 30mins, The Peaks, Southern Lakes, Yorkshire dales
4hrs to Pembroke.
Centrally located for further afield, Scotland, South West etc and two international airports within 20mins.

Day and nightlife to suit every taste in Chester, Liverpool and Manchester and some brilliant indoor walls.

But I'm probably just biased because its were I live...
Phil
 Jonny2vests 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:
>
> One day I'll climb at Avon. If I find I like it more than climbing grit/sandstone/rhyolite/granite/quartzite etc somewhere pleasant, then I'll be so shocked and ashamed that I'll chop off both hands so I can't post any more nonsence on places I've never been.

I think its a fairly safe bet that you won't like it. Especially seeing as you despise Stoney.
 Jon Stewart 27 Oct 2011
In reply to jonny2vests: I don't hate Stoney quite as much I sometimes make out; it's got the advantage of being the nearest limestone to my house. I just think it's mental when someone asks, 'where shall I go climbing on this beautiful, cool, crisp weekend - I'm planning to drive to the Peak from miles away' and someone recommends Stoney without any hint of irony.

Now Horseshoe on the other hand...
 Mike Stretford 27 Oct 2011
In reply to franksnb:
> (In reply to 654g) anyone who has suggested anywhere on the west coast is a not thinking logically. the weather in the uk comes in predominantly from the west therefore the most rain falls in (drum roll) the west.
>
>
>
> Sheffield
>

I looked up the rainfall for another thread and Sheffield actually gets a bit more than Manchester. Sheffield was great for evening cragging but I don't remember it being that dry and the figures seem to confirm this. Newcastle was noticeable dryer but I didn't climb then.

Mike Stretford 27 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g: I reckon a clever algorithm might spit out somewhere like Glossop, or maybe Stoke. Jobs ect are another matter.
 franksnb 27 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g: here's a fun way to visualise rainfall

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/ukmapavge.html
click rainfall
click through the months
dont live anywhere where its always blue
 Mark Bannan 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Sherlock:
> (In reply to Mark Bannan)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> You mean the climbing season then

only for mountain rock routes! If you winter and summer climb, the climbing season never ends in Glasgow (or indeed almost any part of Scotland!)

Mark Bannan 27 Oct 2011
In reply to franksnb:
> (In reply to franksnb) glasgow, are you having a laugh? over zealous patriotism?

I'm Irish! (although doing all my climbing in Scotland gives me a slightly compromised sense of national identity - e.g. I always follow Ireland in rugby or football, but I also feel that I am a "Scottish Mountaineer" - albeit a bumbly one!)

dan-8990 27 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g:
Blaenau Fffestiniog for sure, it never see's the light of day and everyone there has gills and webbed feet!
 staceyjg 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Mark Bannan:

I quite like living in the midlands, we have 3 decent-ish walls within 30 mins drive, bear rock, redpoint and creation.

During the summer, we can do a friday evening bouldering at the roaches, harborough, the stride, etc.

1-2 hours drive to most areas of the peak or south west limestone.

2-3 hours to north/south wales. Central to most places really, access to most rock types.

It's good!!
 Timmd 27 Oct 2011
In reply to jonny2vests:
> (In reply to 654g)
>
> The proper answer to that must be Llanberis.
>
> But the real answer is actually Sheffield if you want a job / life / friends.
>
> The most important variable can be summed up with the two magical words "Evening Cragging". From W Sheffield, you can get to an astounding amount of quality venues in less than 30mins.
>
> The question gets really interesting when posed on a global scale...

I'm from Sheffield, and always think it'd be nice to have more rock types and to be able to climb by the sea.

Is south coast evening cragging much more difficult than from Sheffield?

Cheers
Tim
 Ramblin dave 27 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g:
Thinking about it, I reckon my ideal location would have -
Reasonable amount of single pitch cragging to do after work in summer or for a weekend half day in winter (no more than 1.5 hour drive, preferably a less)
Day trips to proper mountain crags or maybe sea cliffs possible with a bit of effort (no more than 3 hours drive, say)
Weekend trips to decent scottish winter stuff possible in a weekend with a bit of effort (and that doesn't include overnight drives taking turns to sleep in the car).

All in a reasonable sized city with nightlife, culture, jobs and all that malarky.

Does this exist? I think the Scotland thing is the tough one, as it pretty much rules out anywhere south of about Manchester...
 Ramblin dave 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to jonny2vests)
> [...]
> Is south coast evening cragging much more difficult than from Sheffield?

Are you doing an inverse version of the "Manchester and Newcastle must be pretty close together, right? I mean, they're both in The North" thing?
 Timmd 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> (In reply to Timmd)
> [...]
>
> Are you doing an inverse version of the "Manchester and Newcastle must be pretty close together, right? I mean, they're both in The North" thing?

I thought about that after i'd posted, and no I wasn't. ()

More i'm unclear as to where the best climbing is, and think there must be some evening cragging somewhere, hence my vagueness.

Apologies for seeming to do the 'in the north' thing but in reverse.

Where would you suggest as being good for evening cragging and different rock types that is coastal and 'down south'?

Tim

Duncan Bourne 27 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g:
Stoke naturally
 Sean Kelly 27 Oct 2011
In reply to franksnb: I just clicked on the rainfall and all the blue areas are the same as all the climbing areas except Southern Sandstone...what a choice! I have lived in the SE, Birmingham, Manchester, Nant Peris & now halfway twix Plymouth & Exeter. The best area all depends what's most important, lifestyle or climbing or job. I would choose Llanberis area for climbing (only climb when it's a nice day or winter conditions are in. But my mrs loves the SW...so she is happy shopping when I am out climbing....
 Billhook 27 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g:

Where I call home is just the right spot. - Where ever that may be at the time.
 Bulls Crack 27 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g:

Where I live (nr Hebden Bridge) ain't bad and it would be great if I liked grit more! Nearest well known cliff 3 minutes, nearest major bouldering 10 mins, Yorks lime sport 45 mins +, Lakes hour and half, Peak much the same, North Wales 2 and a half
 ozzie35 28 Oct 2011
In reply to 654g: Manchester baby...3 indoor climbing centre and more then 100 diffrent spot for outdoor climbing...you cant beat...)
 Jonny2vests 28 Oct 2011
In reply to Timmd:
> [...]
>
> I'm from Sheffield, and always think it'd be nice to have more rock types and to be able to climb by the sea.

I agree completely. I much prefer sea cliffs to the Peak.

>
> Is south coast evening cragging much more difficult than from Sheffield?

Not 'more 'difficult'. Just less options. No UK city has more options than Sheffield.

I've actually been trying to move to Bristol for a while now to be nearer my beloved Pembroke and for a change of scenery, but I've just been offered a job in Vancouver, so Vancouver it is from 2012!

JL
 Jon Stewart 28 Oct 2011
In reply to jonny2vests:

Congrats on the Vancouver job! I'm training for a career that would let me move around, and I'm thinking I might end up there (just from vague reports that it's a great place to live as a climber, and generally). It'll take me a few years to train and stuff, but it's a long-term aim.

Would be really interested to know what it's like, so if you're still posting on here I might start a "how does life in Vancouver compare to Sheffield" thread in a little while...

As for evening sea cliff climbing, personally, it's not really what I look for - I like to go out pottering (soloing, boudlering, maybe a quick little lead) in the evening, on my own or with friends. I wouldn't describe much of my sea cliff climbing experience as 'pottering' - more 'serious' and 'adventurous'. One pitch usually takes a good couple of hours, all told.
 Jonny2vests 28 Oct 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:
>
> Congrats on the Vancouver job! I'm training for a career that would let me move around, and I'm thinking I might end up there (just from vague reports that it's a great place to live as a climber, and generally). It'll take me a few years to train and stuff, but it's a long-term aim.

What are you training to do? Give me a shout if you make it over obviously.

> Would be really interested to know what it's like, so if you're still posting on here I might start a "how does life in Vancouver compare to Sheffield" thread in a little while...

Will do.
In reply to jonny2vests:
> (In reply to Timmd)

>
> No UK city has more options than Sheffield.
>
I'm sure you are, but if you are talking about climbing that's bollocks. You have two options - Grit or Limestone.

From Bangor I can get to crags made from: Limestone, Dolerite, Ryolite, LLeyn Choss, Quartzite and slate in less than an hours drive.

Ramblin dave 28 Oct 2011
In reply to jonny2vests:
> (In reply to Timmd)

> [...]
>
> Not 'more 'difficult'. Just less options. No UK city has more options than Sheffield.

Yeah - I mean, if you lived in Weymouth you'd be able to get out to Portland or Swanage after work, but not really over to Dartmoor or North Devon, if you lived in Penzance you could climb at Sennen, Bosigran etc after work but you'd have a bit of a drive to get to much good stuff further east, and so on. Which, to someone who currently lives in East Anglia sounds like quite a good problem to have, but in terms of the sheer volume of quality climbing it isn't quite up there with having the entire Peak District to chose from of an evening...

> I've actually been trying to move to Bristol for a while now to be nearer my beloved Pembroke and for a change of scenery, but I've just been offered a job in Vancouver, so Vancouver it is from 2012!

So you're only going to be able to get to Squamish after work? Tough life...
 Jonny2vests 28 Oct 2011
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
> [...]
>
> [...]
> I'm sure you are, but if you are talking about climbing that's bollocks. You have two options - Grit or Limestone.
>
> From Bangor I can get to crags made from: Limestone, Dolerite, Ryolite, LLeyn Choss, Quartzite and slate in less than an hours drive.

Tom, Bangor is only a pretend city I'm afraid. Otherwise I'd agree with you.
 Jonny2vests 28 Oct 2011
> [...]

> So you're only going to be able to get to Squamish after work? Tough life...

Yeah... well... Squamish is just over an hour from downtown, so might have to live in N Vancouver and 'work from home' / go in early to make it evening craggable. Cue violins.
In reply to jonny2vests:
> (In reply to Tom Ripley)
> [...]
>
> Tom, Bangor is only a pretend city I'm afraid. Otherwise I'd agree with you.

I'd call it a pretty shitty city: youtube.com/watch?v=oqk0qLZgxwQ&

The accessible cragging is pretty damn good though...
 Ramblin dave 28 Oct 2011
In reply to jonny2vests: Or man up a bit - I know people who drive for an hour in the evening to get to an indoor leading wall!
 Jonny2vests 28 Oct 2011
> (In reply to jonny2vests) Or man up a bit - I know people who drive for an hour in the evening to get to an indoor leading wall!

Oh yeah, thats perfectly reasonable. Happily sunsets don't tend to be an issue.
In reply to Ramblin dave: Surely Edinburgh fits that bill?!
 Jon Stewart 29 Oct 2011
In reply to jonny2vests: Just started optom degree, so 3 yrs then a year+ pre-registration training to qualify. It'll be a while before I'm going anywhere...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...