UKC

what one album in your life?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 04 May 2017
What would you consider to be your most listened to album, in your life?

We all have favourite albums that change as our tastes change, however is there one that you come back to the most, even if it's just one airing a year?

I'd have to say that mine is most probably Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.
 Blue Straggler 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

For me it is most likely something from an artist beginning with "A", simply due to my being lazy and just sticking iTunes on and not bothering to scroll down much because I have a few artists I like that begin with "A".
Most likely one of the three albums by Alessi's Ark.
 Giles Davis 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Probably "Steve McQueen" by Prefab Sprout or "Moonflower" by Santana
 DerwentDiluted 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Doolittle. Pixies
 Lemony 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. I must have listened to it thousands of times and it still gets me every time.
In reply to Blue Straggler:
If I were less lazy (or perhaps if I ordered by album name instead of artist name) it would for sure be "Axes" by Electrelane.

Sincere and well-intended question - what is the purpose of this thread? Are you looking for recommendations or just trying to get an idea of what the average UKCer who responds to Lemming threads listens to? Or some other purpose?
Post edited at 13:01
cb294 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

J.S. Bach, Mass in b minor, in the Herreweghe recording. I play this very often while driving or working, as I know the piece by heart and therefore do not need concentrate on the music, worried about missing something.

CB
 Tony the Blade 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Rush - 2112

(But often Human (Yooman) League - Dare)
 Owen W-G 04 May 2017
In reply to Tony the Blade:

I've listened to early Cure albums - 17 seconds and Faith in particular - SO many times.
 mrphilipoldham 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Muse - Origin of Symmetry..... maybe.....
 spartacus 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Dark side of the moon
 broken spectre 04 May 2017
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

I was going to put something by Primal Scream (Riot City Blues maybe) but Doolittle is more upbeat (less bluesy) and pleasingly odd. Brilliant.
 tony 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Probably Crocodiles, by Echo and the Bunnymen, although in recent years, it's been Ladies and Gentlemen, we are floating in space, by Spiritualized (I know, it's quite old, it's just become more of a favourite).
 The New NickB 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Pulp - Different Class. It is in my view, near pop perfection.
 Tony the Blade 04 May 2017
In reply to tony:

I'm with you on Crocodiles, I'll add Porcupine to that though.
 subtle 04 May 2017

>Sincere and well-intended question - what is the purpose of this thread? Are you looking for recommendations or just trying to get an idea of what the average UKCer who responds to Lemming threads listens to? Or some other purpose?

Sincere and well intended question - what is the purpose of your question?
In reply to subtle:

> Sincere and well intended question - what is the purpose of your question?

To understand what The Lemming hopes to get out of this thread, on a personal level. I hoped that that was self-explanatory within the question itself. I am curious. It seems a bit like me asking a group of strangers "what's your favourite type of cloud" and then wondering what the hell to do with the answers.

subtle 04 May 2017

> To understand what The Lemming hopes to get out of this thread, on a personal level. I hoped that that was self-explanatory within the question itself. I am curious. It seems a bit like me asking a group of strangers "what's your favourite type of cloud" and then wondering what the hell to do with the answers.

Quite.

Or, instead of asking about peoples favourite album, or cloud, he could be pontificating about what film he has watched this week.

Perhaps he was just asking an irrelevant question to while away an idle moment.
Yorik 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Hunky Dory Bowie
Lusk 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

It's got to be Joe's Garage Acts I, II & III; Frank Zappa.

Cumulonimbus.

Yorik 04 May 2017
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Class Album, Hemispheres is also up there.
 Skip 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Impossible to answer. May be able to do it by genre, but even then it would be a massive struggle, changing almost daily
 Fredt 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

The Who Live at Leeds.
A wall of live sound with 3 instruments, Keith Moon doing the work of 3 men.
And I was there.

Yorik 04 May 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Watermelons in Easter Hay , will be the music played at my funeral
 Doug 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Not sure but likely to be Kind of Blue (Miles Davies) if over the time since I first started owning records (early 70s) although maybe different if a decade at a time
In reply to subtle:

I am sorry if you think my film reviews are pontification. I try to avoid being "pompous and dogmatic" which is the definition of pontification. Do I need to try to harder at that?
 subtle 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> What would you consider to be your most listened to album, in your life?

Surfin USA by the Beach Boys

subtle 04 May 2017

> I am sorry if you think my film reviews are pontification. I try to avoid being "pompous and dogmatic" which is the definition of pontification. Do I need to try to harder at that?

Nah, chust learn to chill man, but then a lot of people could also follow that advice, me included!
OP The Lemming 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Some interesting choices there, most of which I have never heard of before. However the ones that I do recognise, then they too are almost as listened to as Rumour. Ladies and Gentlemen, Hotel California and an album or two from Peter Gabriel are honourable runners-up as well.

creag 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque
 Fiona Reid 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Unknown Pleasures, Joy Division
 Dave Garnett 04 May 2017
In reply to cb294:
> J.S. Bach, Mass in b minor, in the Herreweghe recording.

Classical is cheating!

For rock it would be On Your Feet or On Your Knees. - Blue Oyster Cult live and in their pomp. I can hum all the solos, shame I can't play them!

Made in Japan a close second.
Post edited at 15:28
 SteveJC94 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Another one for Rumours. Listen to it in full on a weekly basis
 ChrisBrooke 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Probably Joni Mitchell - Blue. And in close second: The Wedding Present - Take Fountain.
cb294 04 May 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Ok then, if classical is cheating I would go for Motörhead, No Sleep til Hammersmith.

I saw Blue Oyster Cult back in the 1990s, in a double header with Kansas. Now I feel old!

CB
 krikoman 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

The Feeding of the 5000 - Crass.

bit a of a ritual, when I bought it. Off to Newcastle, spend money on records, back to girlfriends to play new music and read the words simple pleasures.
 tony 04 May 2017
In reply to cb294:

> Ok then, if classical is cheating I would go for Motörhead, No Sleep til Hammersmith.I saw Blue Oyster Cult back in the 1990s, in a double header with Kansas. Now I feel old!CB

I saw Blue Oyster Cult in the 1980s, so that makes me feel even older. A bunch of went to see them at the Odeon in Edinburgh and had such a good time we went to see them in Glasgow the next night.

Not sure why classical should be counted as cheating. My most-listened to classical piece would be Bach's Goldberg Variations, as grunted through by Glenn Gould.
 graeme jackson 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Sweet baby james.
 Si_G 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I have phases, but probably Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies.
TBH it's a shortlist of about 10
 Tom Last 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Thunder and Consolation - New Model Army
 bouldery bits 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Badly Drawn Boy - Hour of the Bewilderbeast
 Bob Kemp 04 May 2017
"For me it is most likely something from an artist beginning with "A","
Listen to a lot of old Brit prog-rock band Aardvark then?
Post edited at 17:30
In reply to The Lemming:

Not one, no; never just a single album. Camel's'A Live Record', particularly the live version of The Snowgoose, is a regular feature, as are Caravan's 'In the Land of Grey and Pink' and 'If I could do it all over again...', the Indigo Girls' 'Rites of Passage' gets listened to a lot (except for a couple of duff tracks), as does the Horslips 'Book of Invasions'. Jethro Tull's 'Heavy Horses' is a record I play in February and March, 'Songs from the Wood' is an autumn record, as are Wishbone Ash's 'Argus' and Camel's 'Nude', A Winged Victory for the Sullen's first album is turning into a summer album and Jan Garbarek's 'Legend of the Seven Dreams' gets played a lot in the mountains. I could go on.

But just one? No.

T.
In reply to cb294:

> I saw Blue Oyster Cult back in the 1990s, in a double header with Kansas. Now I feel old!

You're making me feel older: the first time I saw them was back in the early 80's, supported by Girlschool.

T.

In reply to Pursued by a bear:

I shall check out the Jan Garbeck album, but do you listen to every single album on that list religiously every year?

If that is the case, then one album has been listened to the most, going off seniority.

cb294 04 May 2017

Thinking of it, the Kansas/BÖC concert could have been late 80s as well.

Tempus fugit...

CB
 wilkie14c 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
quite a few and fairly diverse

the jam - snap
PF - dark side of the moon
Goldfrapp - black cherry
Jem - finally woken
ELO & Queen - greatest hits

but above all those, the album i grew up with (dad blasting it out) was Quo live! it was the rock stuff not the poppy shite and was often played by me through my 20s 30s and 40s. It peaked when i took my dad on his 70th to see the frantic four reunion tour at manchester apollo where they recreated the album in full some 40 years after the original. dad has gone now along with rick parfit but that night will remain forever. rip dad & Rick
Post edited at 18:12
In reply to The Lemming:

Religiously, no; it just happens that they suit my mood at a particular time, whether that be something seasonal or a case of 'I could just fancy listening to...', and hence they get played pretty regularly (along with much else; it's a rare day the hifi isn't used). But going back to the ones on that list I heard first doesn't help; the Camel, Tull, Wishbone Ash, Horslips and Caravan albums all turned up on my musical palate when I was 17 or 18 so picking one from those would just be a blind guess.

Jan Garbarek is a Norwegian saxophonist who plays what you might term modern jazz; just so you're not surprised. But every time I hear that album I just think of driving through the hills.

T.
 Offwidth 04 May 2017

Little Fluffy Clouds.
 johnjohn 04 May 2017
In reply to thread:

It's funny what lasts. We're obviously talking stuff from amongst the small number of albums I've had on vinyl, cd and download for offline listening... So that would probably? be New Morning, Bob Dylan, or Velvets Live. Hey ho.
 mbh 04 May 2017

Funny how times change what the lazy listen to most. I stayed once in the flat of a guy who had a whole wall of soul music on vinyl. Thousands of records, arranged alphabetically by first name or the name of the band. The middle shelf was the easiest to reach and read sideways, so I heard a fair bit of Martha Reeves, Marvin Gaye and Nina Simone.
 mav 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Narrowing it down, Doolittle (Pixies), Stone Roses, Technique (New Order). Can't help but notice they all came out within 5 months of one another, when I was turning 16. I'm wondering how many of you are picking album released when you were 16-18?

If I had to pick one - Technique.
 Tom Valentine 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Not so much these days but overall;
Rory, Live in Europe.
In reply to The Lemming:

If we were allowed classical, then it would be another vote for Bach's Mass in b Minor, but for me its the Herbert Von Karajan recording with Elizabeth Schwartzkopf.

Back in the real world, then Black Sabbath Vol 4, Metallica Master of Puppets, King Crimson Larks Tongues in Aspic and Pantera Cowboys From Hell are all in the frame, but as any fule kno and what should be the one album in everybody's life is Sondgarden's sublime album Superunknown.

or maybe Captain Beefheart's Clear Spot, or Zappa Overnite Sensation
Removed User 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Pink Floyd, Wish You Where Here.
 CarbonCopy 04 May 2017
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Difficult to trim down to one, but I'm another for Dark side of the moon. Quite a few Dylan albums - Highway 61, Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the tracks. Pearl Jam - Ten would be another. More recent albums I just can't stop going back to Radiohead - In Rainbows and War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
In reply to wilkie14c:

> quite a few and fairly diverse the jam - snapPF - dark side of the moonGoldfrapp - black cherryJem - finally wokenELO & Queen - greatest hits but above all those, the album i grew up with (dad blasting it out) was Quo live! it was the rock stuff not the poppy shite and was often played by me through my 20s 30s and 40s. It peaked when i took my dad on his 70th to see the frantic four reunion tour at manchester apollo where they recreated the album in full some 40 years after the original. dad has gone now along with rick parfit but that night will remain forever. rip dad & Rick

I think that we have a winner right there, if that could be considered the correct phrase.

Even though this is not a competition

> Jan Garbarek's 'Legend of the Seven Dreams' gets played a lot in the mountains.

I have four of Jan's albums and have just decided to listen to your choice on Youtube.

Two or three notes in and I'm sold. Its very impressive.

In reply to The Lemming:
Glad you like it Lemming. The first track and, I think, the seventh, Voy Cantado, are particular highlights for me.

T.
Post edited at 20:23
 wilkie14c 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

i might have missed it but can't remember reading meatloaf bat out of hell or tubular bells?
i prefer bat 2 and bells 2 myself and should have put them on my list
 john arran 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

For me it would probably have to be Pat Metheny's "80/81", which never fails to impress me, although it's far from easy listening at times.
When I'm not alone I never tire of Ennio Morricone's soundtracks to The Mission and to Cinema Paradiso; simply beautiful.
 Morty 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
This is a question and a half!

After serious consideration it is one of these:

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
Pearl Jam: Ten
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Henry's Dream
Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense

However, if the truth be known, it may be Exit Planet Dust as we used to get in a mess and listen to it on repeat for days.

Removed User 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I have honestly no idea, apart from Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica obviously.
 IM 04 May 2017
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Not so much these days but overall;Rory, Live in Europe.

I would second that, Rory Gallagher, 'Live in Europe': the best live blues rock album ever recorded. Rory at his brilliant best.
In reply to The Lemming:

I think the album I listened to the most was Ozzy Osbournes Tribute. I recorded it off a mate onto a treasured TDK MAR 90 as soon as it came out in 87 (which was the bees knees cassette of it's day that I could afford) I had a weekly paper round which took about 2 hours and Tribute was listened to so studiously through the crappy headphones of my walkman on that round I could air guitar every note to perfection

I haven't listened to it for a long time though.

The other album that has had hundreds of listens is Global Underground 9, Sasha in San Francisco. Particularly the second CD (with Hale Bopp on it) a total cliche, but Sasha really takes me on a journey every time
 Dave Garnett 04 May 2017

> You're making me feel older: the first time I saw them was back in the early 80's, supported by Girlschool. T.

Must have been late 70s, Coventry. Oddly I can't find it in their tour history but it was the tour with the wrist-mounted laser and mirror ball, which was the coolest thing imaginable then.

alan moore 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

So Tough
And
Tiger Bay by St Ettiene
 woppo 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

NOW thats what i call music 48 (for car share fans)
Removed User 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

One of the Albums that had an imapct at the time, life following art and all that, was Quadrophrenia. I stick it on now and again and it transports me back to a period of the early 80's that resonated and brings back bitter sweet memories of teenage angst and life at that time. I still enjoy it. It's not my all time favourite but it is one I keep coming back too in its various derivatives.
 Mooncat 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Probably between The The Infected, Left field Leftism and a few Neil Young albums. Nice to hear Jan Garbarek coming up, Officium Novum gets a lot of play chez moi.
 mbh 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

i like pared down, spare music. So for classical it would be solo instrument pieces and among them the solo cello and violin works of Bach stand out. For this thread I would pick the late 80s recording of the solo violin works by Itzhak Perlman, which I have listened to repeatedly since then. I know many other recordings, in different styles, some more approachable than others. This one is just mind blowing, the chaconne in particular.

And for the rest, the Ramones. In truth, by now I have forgotten what was on what album, but I still laugh when I hear "Third verse, different from the first" (unlike the second) in Judy is a Punk. Or it could be the first Undertones album. They were just teenagers! Or The Clash. Better stop.
 Albert Tatlock 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Jive Bunny master mix - classic
 Jon Stewart 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths
 Tom Valentine 05 May 2017
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

If we are allowed Schwartzkopf I will go for Four Last Songs.
 aln 05 May 2017
In reply to john arran:

> Pat Metheny's "80/81", it's far from easy listening at times.

Interesting. I've heard and enjoyed a few of Pat's albums and they all seemed like fairly easy listening. Don't know if I know that one.

SenzuBean 05 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Geogaddi by Boards of Canada.
 Steve Perry 05 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Metallica - Master of Puppets.
Back in the 80's I used to listen to AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Motley Crue a lot, but when I heard Master of Puppets for the first time, everything changed. I wouldn't say it's my favourite now but no album has ever had such an impact. Sometimes when I'm in the car alone I stick it on and think yeah, it's still brilliant. I was lucky enough to see Cliff Burton on the MOP tour that he sadly died on. What a genius and what a loss that wasn't quite appreciated at the time.
 Big Ger 05 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Love "Forever Changes"
 BnB 05 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
New Order Substance. An album I don't even own but as I have the original singles* on vinyl, cd and digital download then I'm claiming it.

* I am apparently owner of the very first copy of Blue Monday sold on general release (as opposed to acquiring a pre-release white label the lucky buggers) and the original disc and cover is a treasured artefact. My kids and their friends are in awe of it.
Post edited at 07:23
 graeme jackson 05 May 2017

> You're making me feel older: the first time I saw them was back in the early 80's, supported by Girlschool. T.

Jeez - I was at the 1978 Newcastle gig they recorded for one of the tracks on some Enchanted Evening. How old do you think that makes ME feel?
In reply to graeme jackson:
Man, you must feel old...

On which topic, one of my friends and climbing partners has just qualified for a bus pass. Both I and he feel that he shouldn't be that old really but the calendar is a cruel mistress.

T.
Post edited at 09:41
 MonkeyPuzzle 05 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Soundgarden - Superunknown. A great lyricist and singer, great guitarist, great bassist and great drummer all absolutely on fire. Totally of its time and yet still stands up against anything released today. Perfect.
Gone for good 05 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Van Morrison
Common one.

I still can't get my head round the fact he wrote Astral Weeks whilst only 19 years old.
Removed User 05 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Some music that's worth following up on here.

Only just come across Tindersticks. I've been decorating the front room this week and been playing their entire catalogue continuously, well all that's available on Spotify. Real masters of the understated genre.
In reply to The Lemming:

another vote for Doolittle- i can just listen to it on a loop, every time the opening bars of 'Debaser' come back on, I turn the dial up even louder than the last time round...

HakanT 05 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I can't believe I'm the first one to say Dummy by Portishead.
 Dave Garnett 05 May 2017
In reply to HakanT:

> I can't believe I'm the first one to say Dummy by Portishead.

I still play that one too.
 Dave Garnett 05 May 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> another vote for Doolittle- i can just listen to it on a loop, every time the opening bars of 'Debaser' come back on, I turn the dial up even louder than the last time round...

I somehow missed the Pixies completely first time round. I got curious because they were part of the soundtrack of an Iain Banks novel (Complicity, perhaps?). They are still growing on me (U Mass made it to Desert Island Discs recently!)
 Sean Kelly 05 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

When I was teaching back in the day, one of the questions the kids continually asked was what football team and what music? In reply I would would respond..." you got to admire Des O'Connor!" It really deflated the kids. Not really sure what they thought of me. I would wind them up further by saying i had every one of hid records. And of course Christmas always got the"Humbug!" response.
 john arran 05 May 2017
In reply to aln:

> Interesting. I've heard and enjoyed a few of Pat's albums and they all seemed like fairly easy listening. Don't know if I know that one.

Pat Metheny seems to have a collection of adopted styles, from mellow acoustic through to pretty tricky simultaneous improvisation. 80/81 seems to me to have caught a perfect moment when the musicians (IIRC Charlie Haden on bass, Derek Redman on tenor sax, and Jack de Johnette on drums, with occasional input from Michael Brecker too) were all at the top of their game and fully in sync with each other, as there seems to be hardly any contention for musical space or conflict of energies.
 nickh1964 10 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Talking heads Remain in light./Dylan Blood on the tracks, really cannot pic one.

Classical Goldbergs by Angela Hewitt (used to be Glenn Gould but prefer this version now)

Jazz Miles Davis Kind of Blue
cb294 10 May 2017
In reply to nickh1964:

> Classical Goldbergs by Angela Hewitt (used to be Glenn Gould but prefer this version now)

Totally agree. Her recording of the Art of Fugue is even better IMO.

CB
 Pete Dangerous 10 May 2017

A lot of my favourite albums have been mentioned in this thread. I'm the only person I know who loves Steve McQueen by Prefab Sprout and Rumours is amazing as are Aeroplane Over The Sea and The Queen Is Dead. Amongst other perfect albums, I'd include;

My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
Weezer - Blue
Wu Tang - 36 Chambers
Patti Smith - Horses
Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love
The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society
Belle & Sebastian - Fold Your Arms Child, You Look Like A Peasant
Post edited at 22:15
 nickh1964 12 May 2017
In reply to Pete Dangerous:
Yes, I am a big Belle and Sebastian fan, also good to see Steve McQueen getting some votes.
Frank Ocean Blonde is also an excellent album, plus Soul Journey by Gillian Welch who is criminally underrated in my opinion.
Post edited at 09:45
 nickh1964 12 May 2017
In reply to cb294:

Must look in to that, I have a recent recording which got good reviews on Radio 3 but cannot recall who it is by, its on piano and he uses no pedal which gives it an interesting and I think very good sound.
cb294 12 May 2017
In reply to nickh1964:

Another good one is the recording with Pierre-Laurent Aimard, especially in combination with the film Pianomania. The film follows the head piano tech at Steinway as he prepares instruments for performances and recordings, including the Art of Fugue CD. It is really interesting how differently they will tune the very same instrument to achieve specific effects.

CB
 eltankos 12 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Rust in Peace - Megadeth, a cracker of an album from start to finish

although I've been more and more coming back to

More Late Night Transmissions from... - Jaya The Cat, its a wee gem of an album, lots of fun.
 uistgr 25 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Bad Company, Bad Company. I can't get enough.
 colinakmc 25 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

The makings of a great play list here, what an enjoyable thread. But no mention of Cream....I have (or had, before I started going deaf) bursts of listening intensively to various folk - Free, Joan Armatrading, Springsteen ( the river is a classic album in my view) Dire Straits for instance -and Rumours gets a lot of air time. But I always find my way back to Cream's Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire albums, and Jack Bruce's Songs for a Tailor.
 RX-78 25 May 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:
personally I prefer In a beautiful Place Out in the Country (best track being Amo Bishop Roden)

otherwise, most played album, would be one on my phone, could be

best classical: The Blue Notebooks by Max Richter
best electronic: Patashnik by Biosphere (or the EP named above, In a beautiful...)
best pop/rock: Nocturne by Siouxsie & the Banshees

but if you mean in my life that would have been one of the Joy Division albums, all played countless of times in my younger years, but only listened to occasionally now.
Post edited at 09:30
 Dave Garnett 25 May 2017
In reply to uistgr:

> Bad Company, Bad Company. I can't get enough.

My son introduced me to this version:

youtube.com/watch?v=u_VsvZmIWxY&

After initial resistance I find I quite like it...
In reply to The Lemming:

The Genesis album A Trick of the Tail from 1976. A divine collection of songs.
 ring ouzel 25 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Yes - Close to the Edge.
 ring ouzel 25 May 2017
In reply to becauseitsthere:

You mean a F*ck of the Tail?
 AllanMac 25 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

TalkTalk: 'Laughing Stock'
 SenzuBean 25 May 2017
In reply to RX-78:

> personally I prefer In a beautiful Place Out in the Country (best track being Amo Bishop Roden)otherwise

Interesting - I thought Kid for Today was the best
 Trangia 25 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Vaughan Williams "Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus"
 Dauphin 25 May 2017
In reply to mav:

Dream Attack.

D
 John H Bull 25 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
Sugar's Copper Blue, probably. Maybe Hardcore will never die, but you will, by Mogwai.
 veteye 25 May 2017
In reply to tony:

I also listen to the Glen Gould a lot. It stabilises me, and I can do serious stuff whilst listening to it.(Study, or writing a difficult letter etc).

If not allowed classical then is Keith Jarrett's Koln concert allowed?

If not then a comprehensive Free compilation album.
 Sealwife 25 May 2017
In reply to veteye:

> I also listen to the Glen Gould a lot. It stabilises me, and I can do serious stuff whilst listening to it.(Study, or writing a difficult letter etc).If not allowed classical then is Keith Jarrett's Koln concert allowed?If not then a comprehensive Free compilation album.

Keith Jarrett's Koln concert is beautiful.
 veteye 25 May 2017
In reply to nickh1964:

Saw Angela Hewitt here in our town of Stamford recently(how did that happen-really great) and got her to sign an album and then sneaked off to play the Fazioli piano brought in for her. When we had to go she appeared from round a corner and said "did you like the piano?" I thought that she had gone and did not remotely expect her to be listening.

Her latest version of the Goldberg variation is possibly just a little too slow. What about the Iranian Harpsichordist's version?
 Pilo 25 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Leftfield - Leftism

If you missed it try it now as it's kind of timeless. Original.
Peace and unity, mid nineties, stretch of the mind now but...
 nickh1964 26 May 2017
In reply to veteye:

Priceless ! Not heard the Iranian harpsichord version, do you have details ?
 Dave Garnett 26 May 2017
In reply to veteye:

> Her latest version of the Goldberg variation is possibly just a little too slow. What about the Iranian Harpsichordist's version?

I like both Glenn Gould recordings - the difference is amazing. I had always wondered what a harpsichord version would sound like and then I went to a performance in Oxford. Sadly, it just didn't work - it was too slow and unvarying and just wasn't engaging - I nearly fell asleep.

I'll see if I can find the Iranian version.
 Blue Straggler 26 May 2017

8 dislikes on the post I am here replying to? FFS it was a fair question and written politely.
8 is by far my record.
And I got one for my honest first reply. I don't understand this.
Gone for good 26 May 2017

There's nowt as queer as folk!!
In reply to The Lemming:

Gerard Schwarz/RLPO playing Richard Strauss- Eine Alpensinfonie
(no joke)

Leftfield- Leftism
 veteye 29 May 2017
In reply to nickh1964:

No I don't have details of the Iranian harpsichordist recording of the Goldberg variations, sorry, but it was released about the same time as Angela Hewitt's version. I think that he is US based as he was on radio 3 the other day with other music.
 veteye 29 May 2017
In reply to nickh1964:
Is that the Murray Perrahia version?- I like that recording of the Goldberg variations.

> Must look in to that, I have a recent recording which got good reviews on Radio 3 but cannot recall who it is by, its on piano and he uses no pedal which gives it an interesting and I think very good sound.
Post edited at 14:39
 uistgr 30 May 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Hadn't heard that before but takeaway the video its pretty good.

Another cracking cover you may like that just gets better the more you listen to it...

youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4&
 RX-78 30 May 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

honestly they are all good, but sometimes the story/imagery behind the track will clinch it for me, not just the music.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...