UKC

NEWS: Climbing Editor and Photographer Bernard Newman dies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 15 Feb 2024

Bernard Newman, an influential and widely-respected climber, photographer, writer and editor who managed and contributed to multiple UK climbing and mountaineering publications, has died. 

Read more

Rob Exile Ward 15 Feb 2024

Just seen on the CC site that Bernard died yesterday of a heart attack.

One of the great survivors of the early 70s Leeds rock and alpine revolutionaries, he was still a solid performer on Kendal wall just a few weeks ago.  He will probably be best remembered for his editorship of Mountain and joint authorship of Extreme Rock, to which he contributed many superb photos.

Sad news; RIP.

In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

That is sad news. RIP Bernard.

In reply to Christheclimber:

It is indeed sad. Bernard phoned me from Spain only about a week ago to confirm the death of Mike Mortimer (another stalwart of the Leeds University climbing club whilst I was there), who was killed in a climbing accident at Murla at the end of January. Hard to believe that now Bernard has gone as well; he died of a massive heart attack.

In reply to John Stainfort

Yes I just looked on the CC website to see that Mike had died, more sad news. 

Colin Wells 15 Feb 2024

Very sorry to hear this quite shocking news. Apart from his self-evident skills in editing and photography Bernard was a very nice bloke and rose above the often petty rivalries that could often mark the bad old, good old heyday of climbing magazines.

He was always friendly and encouraging (at least to me!) even though we worked for 'different teams' & in my opinion some of best and most impressive issues of Mountain were achieved under his editorship.

Definitely feels like yet another 'End of an Era' punctuation mark in British climbing history.

john arran 15 Feb 2024

Sorry to hear this. Bernard was 'my' editor for quite a few years while I was writing monthly columns on comps and then on Alpine and wider adventures. He was pretty set in his ways, notably in his insistence on film rather than digital images when most of the world had already moved on, but in this as with every decision, he seemed determined to squeeze every drop of quality into an image or into a page of text. That really showed in the finished product.

It certainly helped in working with him that, apart from being a thoroughly nice guy, he had a track record in climbing publishing that was second to none, and rightfully so.

Pedro50 15 Feb 2024
In reply to john arran:

An amusing and cultured guy. We served on the CC committee at the same time. I last met him and Janine in a bar in Keswick in 2018. A sad loss.

Mark Leach 15 Feb 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

Sad news. RIP Bernard.

SATTY 15 Feb 2024

This is a real shock,known him for almost 50 years,really decent humorous bloke gifted climber and writer. Rip bernard

Sad to hear. Apart from his publishing achievements, did he not make the first onsight of Downhill Racer, or an I making that up?

jcm

Simon 16 Feb 2024
In reply to UKC News:

RIP Bernard, lovely bloke and passionate about climbing and climbing photography. Took some of the most iconic B&W Peak climbing images including 'that' one of Steve Bancroft on Strapadictomy at Froggatt.

In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I think you’re right John. I’ll have to ask my brother. 

Mick Ward 16 Feb 2024
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Sad to hear. Apart from his publishing achievements, did he not make the first onsight of Downhill Racer, or an I making that up?

I believe he did. The tale I heard was that he did the crux (he was highly technically proficient) and was wondering whether to reverse back down. Entirely understandable, if so. There's only one iffy move above but he wasn't to know that. 

Apparently Steve Bancroft muttered, "If you back off now Bernard, you'll never forgive yourself." (While well meaning, Steve could do tough love. He got me up Pebble Wall, in similar vein.) Anyway Bernard carried on - a really gutsy thing to do, pushing farther into the unknown. 

I remember him at Almscliff with John Syrett, in their prime. So charismatic, both of them. As others have said, such a sad loss. 

Mick 

C.Hamper 16 Feb 2024
In reply to UKC News:

Oh no! I spoke with him on the phone just the other day. He sounded exactly the same both talking and laughing. Berated me for claiming to have thinner ankles than him, reminded me that we actually measure them and his won. I went to Leeds sometime after Bernard but he was still active on the wall and inactive in the MJ lounge. He could do a one armer on an, at the time, ridiculously small edge and could do something with a gloss painted edge on the stairs.The club journals he edited are probably the best university club journals ever although to be honest I haven't seen that many other examples.

Post edited at 14:47

Ian Parnell 16 Feb 2024
In reply to UKC News:

Really sad news. Bernard was such a good fun and kind soul. I really benefitted when I started taking photos and writing from his generosity and wisdom - believe me not all editors were as supportive or had a heart like him.

I was also very influenced by his brilliant work as editor of Mountain Mag. His editions were my first climbing magazines, and the quality of that publication really shone out. It helped make the world of climbing seem so attractive and exciting. Some of Bernard's photos are amongst the most iconic in British climbing; Bancroft on Strapadictomy and Pollitt on the Bells are the obvious ones, but Extreme Rock is full of them. Personal favs include Pollitt and then Craig Smith on the Prow - they made the Tor look like Ceuse! 

Thanks for the support and inspiration Bernard

John Kirk 16 Feb 2024
In reply to UKC News: lovely chap,great photographer and all round enthusiast. Massively strong individual.

Sean Kelly 16 Feb 2024
In reply to UKC News:

Sad news indeed. That golden generation is decreasing every day it seems. I remember the gear from that photo posted above. The old Troll waist-belt harness as well!

Simon 16 Feb 2024
In reply to john arran:

>  He was pretty set in his ways, notably in his insistence on film rather than digital images when most of the world had already moved on, but in this as with every decision, he seemed determined to squeeze every drop of quality into an image or into a page of text. That really showed in the finished product.

Indeed, I remember ringing him at Climber Magazine once about an article and I think we spent two hours on that very subject! I was shooting slide film in one camera at the time and digi the other and he was only ever interested in the transparancies.

I was always impressed by his professionalism and as many have said, warmed to his friendly and encouraging nature.

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I did once ask Bernard about Downhill Racer and was rather surprised when he said it wasn't true. But he was great character, right at the heart of the Leeds University club, along with Mike Mortimer et al. What was true was his strength: his one-arm pull-ups were legendary.

In reply to John Stainforth:

Yes, I saw his strength at the Leeds climbing wall. Interesting about Downhill Racer. I don’t remember you telling me that.

wbo2 16 Feb 2024
In reply to UKC News:

A sad loss to the climbing world.  I only ever saw him a few times, but Mountain Magazine was a big influence on me and my view of the climbing world

Rick Graham 17 Feb 2024
In reply to UKC News:

Really shocking sad news.

Totally agree with all the other compliments. Always a pleasure to bump into Bernard and have an enjoyable and invariably  informative long or short discussion.

An accomplished professional , dedicated climber totally without ego or angst.

RIP

Pete O'Donovan 17 Feb 2024
In reply to UKC News:

Really sad news.

Bernard was simply a nice guy: friendly, encouraging and honest. 

He could be a bit of a stick in the mud when it came to film vs digital, but he had the right to be… he took some of the most iconic climbing shots of our times.

I remember buying the 1973 Leeds Climbing Club Journal from Tanky's in Sheffield just after it came out (and just after I started climbing) and being both amazed and inspired by the content. It was funny and irreverent, but also featured great photography and insightful articles, which would become the hallmark of Bernard's publications in later years.

RIP Bernard.

paul-innes 18 Feb 2024
In reply to UKC News:

I met Bernard many times when I lived & worked in Leeds, always enjoyed listening to his opinions & sharing a climb indoors or out. Thoroughly nice guy & so sad to hear he's passed. RIP.

eggburt1952 25 Feb 2024
In reply to paul-innes:

Very sad to hear about Bernard,  lovely chap,  for the past 20 odd years , we used run into him and Jannine  quite often, during our winter trips to the Costa Blanca, ironically the same with Mike and Majorie Mortimer, who we also used to regularly see in Morocco . Two  more icons of our era  now gone.

Post edited at 12:57
 Andy Wild 28 Feb 2024
In reply to John Stainforth:

I can't believe that Bernard has died. Terrible shock after Dave Musgrove phoned to tell me. I saw him and Janine occasionally in the last decade, but really knew him when he was at Leeds Uni. I wasn't at the Uni, but used to regularly climb with John Syrett and Bernard and Robert (Did) Powell and others. We all went to the Alps in '73 and then down to the Calanque in the South of France for a couple of weeks. Great happy days. Very glad to have known Bernard, and sorry about his passing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...