UKC

OI NEWS: Choose A Guidebook Cover - Llanberis Slate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 15 Apr 2009
Simon Panton of Ground Up is currently choosing the cover for the new Llanberis Slate guidebook, due out later this year.

He needs your help!

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1815

SGD 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: I'd plum for the 1st picture.
 Jack Geldard 15 Apr 2009
In reply to SGD: YES!! Get in. That's my photo - I'll slip you that fiver later..
 pebbles 15 Apr 2009
In reply to SGD: me too. its a dramatic and very distinctive image.
 Tom Last 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Definitely think cover no:1 is by far the best. Says a lot about slate climbing, gothic, slightly menacing and downright awkward!

No:2 Too convoluted
No:3 You said it yourselves, far too conservative. Looks like a FRCC or old CC cover. Not a bad thing in itself, but a bit tired looking.
 Michael Ryan 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:
> (In reply to SGD) YES!! Get in. That's my photo - I'll slip you that fiver later..

I like New Slatesman by Gareth Aston - don't take that personal Jack. I like the dynamics.

Yours is too gothic.

Cig Arete by Jethro Kiernan is a nice peaceful shot.

Mick
 Morgan Woods 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

i would vote for new slatesman (ie middle) cover without the blurring effect.
 SGD 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: ermmm.....ok...as long as that's all you try and slip me ;P

On a serious note I remember the 1st time I walked into the quarries and the immediate impression and feeling that I had and that picture, for me, captures the dark and impressive atomsphere of that 1st visit and yes it's a great shot.
 Jack Geldard 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods: I like that shot too - and I like the blur actually - looks crazy, a bit like climbing in the quarries.

My shot was the last photo I ever took on slide. The day after that I sold my film camera on Ebay!

Jack
 Dan Arkle 15 Apr 2009
The first is best. The dark tones capture that slightly edgy atmosphere of the quarries.
 Ramon Marin 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods:

I second that!
 Simon 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
> [...]
>
>
> I like New Slatesman by Gareth Aston - don't take that personal Jack. I like the dynamics.
>
>

I agree - very good dynamic shot..
 Michael Ryan 15 Apr 2009

Plus it's a happy shot.

Why go goth? - Simon did that with his bouldering guidebook.

North Wales Bouldering - reviewed
http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=5

Commercially the second one makes a lot of sense PLUS doesn't the sun sometimes shine in North Wales?

Mick
 Owen W-G 15 Apr 2009
Number 1 for sure
 Tom Briggs 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

1 is too dark, 3 is boring. Number 2 every time.
 Paul B 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Tom Briggs:
slatesman for me!
TimS 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: No.1 - captures the darkness of the quarries nicely for me.
 Alun 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
Number 1 by far the best.

Number 2 - I'm in the "hate it" for the blur effect. It looks tacky.

Number 3 is the safest option, but doesn't inspire me so much.
 fimm 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

I find the second one really "busy".
Sam L 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: The first one is best for the front cover by a fair margin. The second is a good photo, for sure, but it is a bit too gimicky for the front - if there wasn't the blur I don't think it wold even be in the running. The third is a bit old school, and doesn't really say that much about the uniqueness of the climbing medium I don't think.
The first is, at risk of sounding incredibly cliched, a bit gritty, edgy and dramatic.
Sam
 gingerdave13 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: first one by a long margin

second horrible blur effect

third far too conservative.
 David Hooper 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

I would prefer something with stripy lycra tights, white cotton sport socks and a mullet hairdo, route immaterial
 Tyler 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

1 is my favourite although I'm sure its appeared elsewhere which is a shame as one of the joys of a new guide is new pictures.

2 I like but for the blurred hand

3 A bit dull, not at all inspiring.

I guess I lack a creative eye so find things like blurring effects on guide book covers a bit incongruous! For that reason, as well, I'd prefer a run out slate slab on the cover because that to me is (was!) what slate's about, something like that old picture of Trevor Hodgson mantling it out, off route on the Rainbow slab (it was on a DMM advert, a Paul Williams pic I think)
 jkarran 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Of the three I like No. 1 the best.

No.2 is probably a good shot under the Photoshop work.
No.3 is a good shot but it looks dated and it could be of anywhere, it doesn't convey much of the feel of the place.

I'll also stick my neck out and say I'd have liked to see at least one good 'trad' shot.

jk
 match 15 Apr 2009
In reply to jkarran:

I'd vote for number 2 if the photoshop blur was removed. Plus I like the choice of name: New Slatesman seeing in a new era of slate climbing, nice cheeky parallel to New Statesman etc.

No. 3 is not a good choice imho, staid, conservative and not showcasing the drama of the quarries.

No. 1 is a cool shot, darkness won't jump off the shelves though? Maybe not a problem, does as someone else says reflect the dark mysteries of slate well!

I'd be psyched for a shot of one of the local wads strung out in a wacky position on The Quarryman, onsight, gear a distant memory etc etc. But for the sake of a photo, probably not worth it!
 NickD 15 Apr 2009
I like No 1 the best.

I have been lucky enough to see some pages from the new guide and it looks beautiful! Simon and team have worked incredibly hard on this and it shows. Can't wait for the final product!
 Karriless 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
Number 2, Number 2!

1. Not such a fan of the colours as the spine doesn't seem to standout and the photo doesn't seem to have an edge.
2. The "red t-shirt for the photos" works and I like the cheesy 2 fast 2 furious effect.
3. BORING
 Karriless 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Karriless:
In retrospect I have to apologise to the 1 and 3 photographers for perhaps belittling what are still some very fine shots in their own right.
 Morgan Woods 15 Apr 2009
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> > I'll also stick my neck out and say I'd have liked to see at least one good 'trad' shot.
>
> jk

agreed....perhaps something long and mid grade like Colossus or Ride the Wild Surf
 Chris the Tall 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
Option 2b - That photo without the blurring. It doesn't work, and makes it look like he is wearing a superman cape
 John2 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods: Colossus has 13 bolts!

I like photo 1, but as said by others I'd like 2 if the blur was removed.
 ksjs 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: photo 1 is best as it captures the spirit of slate better than any of the others. photo 2 is the exagerrated angle thing which im not keen on (there are no overhanging routes on slate) and photo 3 is a nice shot but a bit plain given slates character.
 Glyn 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: I would be happy with number 1 or number 2. Although a distance shot of a long inspiring route on rainbow walls/slabs would also be good (although for different reasons)
 ksjs 15 Apr 2009
In reply to John2: yeah, but its not exactly sport is it
 Sean Kelly 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: Cover 1 does it for me but it looks rather contrasty, but I am sure the original must be better than the web image.
 nikinko 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

I like the first. The dark thing like others have said.
 Skyfall 15 Apr 2009
In reply to nikinko:

No. 2 for sure.

Good photos that No's 1 and 3 are, they just look like any old guidebook cover which are instantly forgettable. No1 is too dark to be an attractive cover shot, and No3 is too inconsequential (very like an old FRCC cover as someone else said). I'd pick up No. 2 in a shop just to have a look see.

Genuinely, I like No.2 regardless as to dynamic effect. The slate at the base of the route looks just right (for a slate guide!) and the focus on the hand just works.
Gavin McGrath 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Shot 1. Nice to see something shot on film for a change and easily the best photograph of the three. Goes some way to capturing the unique atmospheric experience of climbing in the slate quarries.
 Morgan Woods 15 Apr 2009
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods) Colossus has 13 bolts!
>

oops...i just thought an E grade meant it was a trad route!
 Piers 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

No. 1 - I draws you into the route!
 John2 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods: It's a historical thing - people in the UK didn't give sport routes French grades in those days.
 NickD 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods:
> oops...i just thought an E grade meant it was a trad route!

Colossus is not a sport route by any stretch.
 Martin Davies 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: Cover No.1. M
 AJM 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Martin Davies - KCLMC:

Number 1 without question. I can't stand the blur on 2 - its completely ruined the photo for me. 3 is just nothing special - a very old-skool guide cover as many have said, perfectly pleasant but nothing amazing.

AJM
 Martin Wright 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: I prefer number 2 - more obviously slate, interesting dynamic effect and a more eye-catching shot. Numbers 1 and 3, while both good shots, are less likely to make people pick the book up from the shelf.
Simon Panton nr 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
I'd prefer a run out slate slab on the cover because that to me is (was!) what slate's about, something like that old picture of Trevor Hodgson mantling it out, off route on the Rainbow slab (it was on a DMM advert, a Paul Williams pic I think)

This point has been discussed previously amongst the team working on the guide and there was some sympathy for putting an old school run out shot on the cover. My view is that a definitve guide should have a cover shot that defines the era, preferably in a reasonably cutting edge, inspiring fashion. See the front covers of the recent Gogarth North guide or the CC Llanberis guide for what I mean. When people pick those guides up in future years it should be obvious what was going on at that point in history.

Obviously the Rainbow Slab is the most impressive piece of rock in the quarries, but in historical terms it has had its day...unless of course somebody onsighted/flashed The Very Big and the Very Small (I'm guessing Ryan Pasquill might have wondered about the possibility of such an act?)

Within the main body of the guide we have given heavy coverage to the 80s golden age of slate, with numerous historical shots, including a few of Trev on the Rainbow in a pair of bright tights. We also have a series of excerpts from Martin Crook's dairies which document that whole era. History is important, but history is being made again in the new wave of developments that have swept through the quarries in recent years.

In reply to UKC Gear:

Number 2 as it catches the attention and gets me psyched for slate, which is quite rare!
 Lhod 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

no.l by a fair margin
 Coel Hellier 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Simon Panton nr:

If 3 is too boring (though bear in mind that most guides will be bought by mid-grade punters), then I'd go for 2. I find 1 too dark and gloomy to attract me to the guide and the quarries.
 Will Hunt 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Without reading into it very much the third one. I thought it less drab than the others. Some nice blue sky.

With reading into it a bit more then I think number 2. First one far too dark and plain. The problem with slate is that it's very grey indeed. The second one definitely needs the blur effect taking off it though. It's a great shot without it and the blur takes all the attention away from what the picture actually is. I just saw it and said "look at that crap blur" rather than "that's a nice snap".
 Will Hunt 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Will Hunt:
And the angular blocks at the bottom capture the aesthetic of the quarries nicely.
 ERU 15 Apr 2009
Guidebook Cover #2 - New Slatesman voted here. Although I think 'Looning the tube' should be on the cover :P
 nigel pearson 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
I actually like no.3. I like the unfussy presentation. I think I would find No.2 irritating for the blur effect. No. 1 is good too.
 Ian McNeill 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

No 2 gets my vote - red flash of arms different and therefore stands out
 Matt Vigg 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

No. 2 sans le blur.
 Tyler 15 Apr 2009

> This point has been discussed previously amongst the team working on the guide and there was some sympathy for putting an old school run out shot on the cover. My view is that a definitive guide should have a cover shot that defines the era, preferably in a reasonably cutting edge, inspiring fashion.

Totally agree, I wasn't suggesting using one of these older pics (although looking at the old Yorkshire Lime and '86 Llanberis Guide I bet there are a few photographers who yearn for a return of lycra) but a contemporary photo of a run out slab would have got my vote but I guess the current fashion is for steeper and less run out so there probably aren't any such photos available.

> Within the main body of the guide we have given heavy coverage to the 80s golden age of slate, with numerous historical shots, including a few of Trev on the Rainbow in a pair of bright tights. We also have a series of excerpts from Martin Crook's dairies which document that whole era.

Can't wait!

> History is important, but history is being made again in the new wave of developments that have swept through the quarries in recent years.

Again I agree, guide books are point in time capture of the scene as much as they are a historical document. All power to those at the cutting edge, now if only you could persuade a few of them to don some Troll Candyskins and Sportiva Megas for the photos, brown Prana pants and 5:10 pinks might look good but lack visual appeal on film!
 Sean Kelly 15 Apr 2009
 AlisonS 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

I prefer number 1. Number 2 is too fussy and number three is a bit ordinary.
 Henry Iddon 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Is the shot used in number available without the blur?
In reply to UKC Gear:

Number 1 for me.

jcm
 Skyfall 15 Apr 2009
The problem is that No 1 actually makes slate look depressing and inaccessible. It doesn't exactly scream "come and climb here". At least both No's 2 and 3 make you want to climb there.

But then maybe I suffer from SAD and just like to see a little brightness in my guidebook covers
 Col Allott 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: one
 steve taylor 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

I prefer the first one. Slate, for me, is all a bit mysterious and dark, so the photo fits.
 Mike Stretford 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: I like 3.
 C@rwyn 15 Apr 2009
Tambourine Man every time. Just captures the atmosphere completely I think someone mentioned slipping a fiver near the top of the thread :P
 chrisprescott 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: I would go for the first one
 bouldery bits 16 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

1st one!
 edwardwoodward 16 Apr 2009
Not wishing to be awkward, but... I don't like any of them.
1 - Too dark.
2 - Hideous blur.
3 - Fusty and looks posed.

Who's got that cracking shot of someone with hair on The Very Big and the Very Small?
Removed User 16 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Get a grip! The most iconic images from the slate quarries involve "the Quarryman" or the Rainbow wall.
 givemetea 16 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
no.2 ... although I'd prefer it without the blur
 JLS 16 Apr 2009
In reply to Roslyn McKendry:

>"no.2 ... although I'd prefer it without the blur"

Me too.
Simon Panton nr 16 Apr 2009
In reply to Henry Iddon:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Is the shot used in number available without the blur?

It is, in fact there is a whole sequence of shots of Pete moving through the crux. This looked great together, but I felt that when split into individual images the sense of dynamic upward movement was partially lost. I asked Al the designer to try and amalgamate the images in a ghostly montage, but that didn't work out so the blurring idea was tried.

Perhaps we should try a non-blurred version? seems like plenty of people would like to see that.

It's interesting to see how much support there is for the Jack's gothic image. It's probably not very commercial, but I've always loved that picture, and as Adam Wainwright pointed out to me yesterday it would continue the theme of having him as the background belayer in Ground Up definitive guide cover shots.

Henry, maybe you should get down the quarries with your camera and try and snap a front cover shot - can't take that long to drive down from Blackpool, you could be here for early afternoon!
 osh 16 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: First one.
 Jon Read 16 Apr 2009
 SGD 16 Apr 2009
In reply to Simon Panton nr: good shot but I still prefer the 1st one, for me its the only one that really has the 'atmosphere'. I know its a bit dark and goth but it's slate??
Sam L 16 Apr 2009
 Sl@te Head 16 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
Surely the front cover should be one of Costa Del Dali...no one climbs anywhere else!!!

(I like image 2 including the Blur, looks really dynamic and different)
Ackbar 16 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: Why are guidebook covers always rubbish? I can't think of any guide book cover which are inspiring. They usually have much better photos inside.

And what is the criteria for a guidebook cover. Should it be a route that appeals to the masses, or one of the hardest routes, or a picture of an ascent done in the style of the day?

I actually don't like any of these pictures I'm afraid. There are loads of good slate photos on ukc.
 Tyler 16 Apr 2009
In reply to Ackbar:

Assuming you are limiting yourself to UK with that statement off the top of my head I'd say the current and previoous Gogarth guides both have great cover shots, as do the current and previous Yorks Lime guides. The old mid Wales guide too.
 IainWhitehouse 16 Apr 2009
> (In reply to Henry Iddon)
> Perhaps we should try a non-blurred version? seems like plenty of people would like to see that.

Of the three offered I think that would be by far the best choice. Apologies to Jack but the first one looks guaranteed to put people off slate and the third isn't at all typical of most of the routes.

To be honest this shot that Mick used http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=46929 sums up slate climbing to me better than any of those three. A grey and blustery but atmospheric day when slate's quick drying makes it the best choice by far. Admittedly it might also fall foul of the same criticism that I levelled at Jacks shot of not being inviting and friendly enough but I think it still gives a better feel for the place.
Iain
 John2 16 Apr 2009
In reply to Tyler: Not to mention the current and previous Cloggy guides.
In reply to Ackbar: Sorry that you don't like any of the pics; perhaps you could link to some examples of what you think would be better (I'm guessing that when you do you will realise how difficult it is to get the right image with all the ingredients).

The criteria (as I see it) for a definitive guide is described above. It would be different for a selected guide (more about a typical/inspiring image than anything representing the latest developments).

As for inspiring guidebook covers, how about these two:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=449

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1549

I find them both very inspiring, and for different reasons. One is the best E1 pitch in the Pass (how good is Superdirect!) and the other represents the modern development of Wen Zawn with the two key activists going for it on a gnarly E7. The background detail in both shots is spot on too, especially when you fold out the return flap. Of course that is just my opinion, and I'm biased.
In reply to IainWhitehouse: Ian, that is quite a strong, atmospheric shot, but it doesn't say anything about the latest phase of development in the quarries. Also, a very similar B/W image was used in the front of the previous guide.

I have a similarly framed shot of Leo Houlding onsighting My Halo (from Ray Wood) which we will be using inside the guide, but I wouldn't put something like that on the cover of a current definitive guide.
 DavidEvans 16 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
For me, personally, I think probably none. Not being in anyway associated with latest developments on slate, number 1 means little to me. It is a cool shot though, however I don't immedisately associate the image with slate Number 2 - As you suggest: Love or hate. Personally hate. Cheesy shot. Number 3. Well I fear change, so this is the safe choice, but again doesn't personally remind me of anything I've done on slate nor inspire me.
I guess it depends who you are targetting. The few at the tip. Well perhaps 1. The youth - maybe 2. The masses - probably choose a low-mid E grade trad shot with a bit of grey in the back ground. As someone pointed out - I bet they are hard to come by.
I can't wait for the guide to come out though!
 Nikki 16 Apr 2009
Ackbar 16 Apr 2009
 IainWhitehouse 16 Apr 2009
> (In reply to IainWhitehouse) but it doesn't say anything about the latest phase of development in the quarries.

Granted. I conceded that it perhaps wasn't colourfull and inviting enough but shot1 is guilty of that and also fails to represent the newer developments in that it looks nails.

I've known quite a few people pick up old slate guides and put them down again because it 'all looked too hard'. I'm slightly worried that your shots help to maintain that impression when actually much of the recent development has been at very accessible grades on conventional slate slabs. Still, perhaps they will hit the aspirational slot.

I stand by my earlier assessment that a single 'still' from the second one is by far the best choice. I bet you a whole pound I'd sell more with that cover.

ksjs 16 Apr 2009
In reply to ksjs: i was thinking a bit more about this and think none of the photos do justice to the scale of slate. its a cliche but i think the cover shot maybe has to be something epic on The Rainbow Slab. a variation of the photo on the page beside page 161 (theres no page number by the way before someone gets clever) of the current definitive guide: John Redhead precariously positioned and isolated in a sea of rock - pure slate.

something with the whole slab in view with somebody well above their gear could be perfect. another option might be something quirky, attainable yet still inspiring like Looning the Tube?

great to see the level of interest in slate shown by this thread
 SGD 16 Apr 2009
In reply to ksjs: I was thinking about the looning area too, maybe something from just inside the tunnel entrance so it frames the shot? I haven't seen anything like this btw
 AJM 16 Apr 2009

> My view is that a definitve guide should have a cover shot that defines the era, preferably in a reasonably cutting edge, inspiring fashion.

> Obviously the Rainbow Slab is the most impressive piece of rock in the quarries, but in historical terms it has had its day...

I see the point, but I wonder whether for most people the cutting edge is irrelevant? I don't know about the locals obviously, but I bet that formost people from elsewhere slate will always be more about poetry pink and the dervish than it will about new slatesman and tambourine man...

I like the Hogarth pic, I have to say, but I did think thecc llanberis guide, from Internet pics at least, is one of the least inspiring I've seen in a very very long time...

AIM

AJM 16 Apr 2009
In reply to AJM:

Damned spellcheck... Gogarth obviously! And the llanberis comment was about the cover pic...
Bob kate bob 16 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: The pictures that are being suggested for the cover are nice enough.

But for me, I think that the cover of "Slate a climbers guide" just sums it up nicely. (also must have been cheaper than any photo )
 Glyn 16 Apr 2009
In reply to Simon Panton nr: After giving more thought to the subject, I think number 2 captures the ethos of the new slate developments.

I a agree that the cover shot needs to reflect the modern style in the quarry's (desperate and well protected). Make sure you have a good full page shot of the dry tooling!
 StuLade 16 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: No 1 FTW
 Al Evans 17 Apr 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: New Slatesman gets my vote.
 Rachael Barlow 17 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
How about one of Ian's shots of Pete on the Quarryman? They are amazing.
Failing that New Slatesman without the smudge.
 Adam Long 17 Apr 2009
In reply to Rachael Barlow:

Isn't Pete already on the cover of the Pass guide? Do we want him on every welsh guide cover? (I'm sure you would)

Of the three, I like Jack's shot, but I think the contrast has been overdone and needs pulling back for print. In the second shot I'm not a fan of photoshopped blur, and its hard to tell how great the shot would be without it. In the third, I'm prefer blue skies to be matched with sunlit rock. If the rock is shaded by cloud the sky ends up overexposes and goes a bit lifeless. Its also impossible to assess critical sharpness at these sizes.
Simon Panton nr 17 Apr 2009
In reply to Rachael Barlow: I saw those Quarryman shots this morning - very good indeed! Initially I was keen to use one or perhaps even a sequence run inside the book, but thinking about it there is a historical angle (Pete did do the second 'full' ascent of the route), so it would qualify as front cover material.

Thanks to everybody for their response, most helpful. I've just tallied up the votes and they are as follows:

1. 32 votes

2. 24 votes (albeit many with a caveat that the blur is removed)

3. 2 votes

I've asked Al Williams (Ground Up designer) to produce a sans-blur version of 2; I'll post it up later today.
In reply to Adam L: Yes Pete is also on the front cover of the Llanberis guide. But so what, he is one of the leading proponents of the new slate scene, only Caff is a contender as an equally important player.

As for sharpness, the third shot was never really a contender, more just a way of showing a different style. 1 is pretty grainy, but then I think that suits the moody nature of the image. 2 is crystal sharp.
 Adam Long 17 Apr 2009

I'm not knocking Pete but I don't think you should ignore the bigger picture. Guidebooks, especially definitive, have a lot more historical worth than magazines. I don't think the current series of Peak grit guides will feature the same climber on two covers, because it would suggest a pre-eminence in the scene.

Having said that I wouldn't base your choice too much on the feedback on here though, including mine (I'm sure you won't). Good art was never made by committee...
 ksjs 17 Apr 2009
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: this is a great shot, maybe just missing some sky?

fwiw i dont necessarily agree with the idea that the cover must reflect current developments; as has been pointed out, those who do not climb regularly on slate i.e. those whose purchase or decision to climb in the quarries might be affected by the cover (the cover will likely make little difference to locals or existing devotees, they will just buy the new guide anyway) will want to see something that is very definitely iconic slate: Rainbow Slab, Comes the Dervish or Looning the Tube etc.

perhaps a compromise (if those making the decision are heading towards something 'contemporary') is to have the likes of shot # 1 or 2 on the cover and a nice big fold out on the inside cover of someone strung out on The Rainbow Slab (like Groundup did with Cloggy on the inside of North Wales Rock iirc)?
In reply to Adam L: That particular suggestion of a pre-eminence in the scene would be largely correct though.

Peak grit guide cover shots seem to be chosen on a different criteria to the one I favour. They certainly make no attempt to represent cutting edge developments. Maybe that makes more commercial sense, but I prefer to see something that is both visually striking, inspiring and representative of that point in history.

It's a tall order, but it is possible - and I think Ray Wood's shot of The Mad Brown on the Gogarth North cover proved that.

As for listening to others, I think this thread has been a very useful process; I am genuineley surprised by the support for Jack's moody Tamborine Man shot. I find it heartening that people are receptive to the left field/non commercial approach. Whether or not I would have the balls to go ahead and use such a gothic image is something which I'll be pondering for some time yet.
In reply to ksjs: My thinking is that we put a low grade contemporary route on the inside cover spread and a classic Rainbow slab shot on the inside back cover spread. That way, somebody picking up the guide will get a sense of all (okay, most) aspects of the Slate experience and the unique landscape.

We did a similar thing with the Gogarth North guide - hardcore E7 on front, but a classic old school HVS bathed in sunshine on the inside cover spread.
 ark05 17 Apr 2009
In reply to adamki:

Er, except the landscape format makes it impossible to use - unless you have the picture wrapped right round the guide, with most of the Llyn on the back cover.
 Liam Copley 17 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: Definatly the first picture.
 Adam Long 17 Apr 2009

I agree with your argument, but The Mad Brown shot hardly follows it. I think its a fantastic choice for the cover but hardly current, is it ten years old now? A shot of the Belgian's casual repeat would be more representative of this point in history, or a more recent route.
In reply to Adam L: It may not be 2008 current, but it absolutely epitomizes the new wave of Gogarth routes - remember I was attempting to capture the spirit of a 20 year period (the last CC guide was released in 1990). Most of the cutting edge developments happened in the first 10 years of that period (i.e. the 90s).

And anyway, none of the pics of the Belgians were even in the same league as that image.

The slate scene is different, all of the exciting developments since the last guide have happened in the last 2 years.
 James Thacker 17 Apr 2009
In reply to Simon Panton nr: number 1
 timjones 17 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

No 3.
 Chris the Tall 17 Apr 2009
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to adamki)
>
> Er, except the landscape format makes it impossible to use - unless you have the picture wrapped right round the guide, with most of the Llyn on the back cover.

I was just thinking "great photo, and would work really well as a wraparound cover in that sort of innovative, Ground-Up style"

The fear/concentration in the guys stare gives you a great feel for nature of the climbing (OK there's a bolt in the background, and his t-shirt is the same colour as the lake, but hey that's what photoshop is for

Neil Conway 17 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: No 3 for me
Aiden Wright 17 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: number 1, but you can't please everyone!
 climbingpixie 17 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Another vote for number 1 here. I love the darkness and the atmosphere in the picture.
 Glansa 17 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Another vote for number 1.

(But may reconsider if I could see a 2 without the blur)

Nick
 AlXN 17 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

1st picture please.
If I'm Honest I'm not that keen on any.

What about Ales Messengers shot of the Dervish that was on the cover of Summit 49 or 50? That's a belter.
 AlisonS 21 Apr 2009
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I agree with you. It would be absolutely stunning as a wraparound; and that would look stylish and a bit different too.
 jowgli 21 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: the cig arete pic is defo the best bet for the front cover
Simon Panton nr 23 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: Al has produced another couple of options:

The New Slatesman shot 'sans blur' as requested, plus an entirely new one from Ian Parnell of The Quarryman groove pitch.

See them here:

http://www.groundupclimbing.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=234

and larger versions here:

http://www.groundupclimbing.com/gallery1.asp?galleryid=36
 Tyler 23 Apr 2009

Definitely the Quarryman, but mainly becuase it ecapsulates slate, for me, more than the others.
 Ian McNeill 23 Apr 2009
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to Simon Panton nr)
>
> Definitely the Quarryman, but mainly because it encapsulates slate, for me, more than the others.

Simon this is a much better picture than the rest combined !!! this is the one now ....

practicalcat 23 Apr 2009
I much prefer the New Statesman shot now that the blur has been removed.
 practicalcat 23 Apr 2009
In reply to practicalcat:
...having said that, still can't decide on an overall favourite photo...
 Coel Hellier 23 Apr 2009

I vote for either of the two new ones.

john arran 23 Apr 2009

#1 is a great shot with good perspective but no colour so won't jump off the shelf at you
#2 is too gimmicky. I applaud the attempt to be different but in this case don't think it really adds to the original
#3 has no colour and no perspective. It's dull.

I'd say both of the new ones are better than all of the original 3, as they have both colour and perspective. Either would make a very good cover but if I had to choose I would go for #5 as it is more characteristically slate.
 John2 23 Apr 2009
In reply to john arran: I still like number 1. Slate is different, and number 1 brings that out.
 AJM 23 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

I think I'm now on a tie with quarryman and the original photo 1. That photo without the blur does look passable now though.

Maybe worth starting a new voting thread to guage the response to the improved selection?

AJM
 Chris the Tall 23 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
Number 2 is much better without the blur, but the Quarryman is a strong contender
Simon Panton nr 23 Apr 2009
In reply to Simon Panton nr: Just thought of another wierd piece of guidebook cover continuity: If we choose the Quarryman shot then Mark Reeves would once again get the belayer tick (he was belaying Leo on Bungles Arete on the 1999 slate guide).
 Ian McNeill 23 Apr 2009

can win on every count can you ?

The Quarryman is much the best option so far.
 IainWhitehouse 23 Apr 2009
In reply to john arran: I think I agree almost entirely with John. The unblurred shot is much better than the blurred. Either of the newer two would be good but I think the quarryman has hte edge. A modern activist on what must be the iconic slate route neatly bridges old and new in my opinion.
Iain
 steve taylor 23 Apr 2009

Still like shot 1, but The Quarryman is very, very good too.
 Mike Raine 23 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

You're all being stupid and trying to stitch Simon up. The only contender is The New Slatesman and if you just think about you'll realise that too...
 Tom Last 23 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Either the No1 shot or the Quarryman shot is good too.

I just don't think the New Slatesman picture is very good. Much of the climbers body and part of his face are in shadow, the shadow on the boulders below means that the background isn't neutral enough and further detracts from the climber. Overall it's to busy and not bold enough to mke a very good cover. I think if it had been strong enough in the first place, then it would have never needed the blur to be added.

I know that you're interested in representing new development, but this just isn't the photo to do it.

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 23 Apr 2009
> (In reply to Simon Panton nr) Just thought of another wierd piece of guidebook cover continuity: If we choose the Quarryman shot then Mark Reeves would once again get the belayer tick (he was belaying Leo on Bungles Arete on the 1999 slate guide).

That's me belaying hard climbers since 1996!

Mart B 24 Apr 2009

I think The Quarry Man is by far the best photo, the Statesman (sana blur) is good too. I dont think the blur effect adds anything to the photo. #3 is as already said, good, but dated. The first is dark, (i'm severly colour blind) and the colours look screwed to me, brown and green and generally pretty dank.
 Mike Stretford 24 Apr 2009
In reply to Mart B: #5 now (I was originally a #3 which seems to put me in a minority). Unfortunately, I think the broken slate in the background spoils #2/4 (the visual impact of the climber that is).
 Jack Geldard 24 Apr 2009
In reply to Mark Reeves: Very good Mark. Surely we need an article!

Training and top tips:

"Mark Reeves, at the cutting edge of Slate belaying for well over a decade"

Jack
 Lemony 24 Apr 2009
In reply to Simon Panton nr: I'd say the only ones I'd consider bad choices would be two and three, I do particularly like the Quarryman shot though, it's got the most going on.
 SGD 24 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: mmmm....now I'm torn between my original choice of number 1 and the number 5....both have that real slate feel.....

I think I maybe swayed to the quarryman. I recently lead Combat rock and I remember looking over towards the quarryman and just being in awe. It'an historic route that has recently seen a full repeat so it fits the bill nicely of 'recent developments' and still has that edge to it.

Sorry Jack....number 5 - the quarryman
 Matt Vigg 24 Apr 2009

I reckon either of the two new ones, The Quarryman pic possibly edges it cause it does have more of a slate feel to it.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 24 Apr 2009
> (In reply to Mark Reeves) Very good Mark. Surely we need an article!
>
> Training and top tips:
>
> "Mark Reeves, at the cutting edge of Slate belaying for well over a decade"
>
> Jack

Belaying up to the grade of E8, is a very hard business Jack and I won't be ridiculed. However there is an article in it, I am sure. I have been as scared belaying as I have climbing!
 StuLade 24 Apr 2009
In reply to Mark Reeves: No 1 is definitely my favourite, very striking.
 ksjs 24 Apr 2009
In reply to Simon Panton nr: i think The Quarryman wins but Tamborine Man is still a close second.
benro87 11 May 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: Not keen on any of them. If I had to pick any it would have to be number 2 without the blurring. There must surely be more absorbing slate pictures out there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...