UKC

Best friction bridging routes in UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Oswald 16 Jun 2019

Hi

I'm looking for recommendations for friction smearing routes/ boulder problems in the UK. Not corners with big jugs/ crimps but this sort of thing. https://www.mountainproject.com/route/109561280/the-shadow 

Only thing I can think of is Green Death Superdirect (f7B) .

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Dan Arkle 16 Jun 2019
In reply to James Oswald:

Do goliath's groove without laybacking or jamming - superb. 

Deadeye 16 Jun 2019

Kilt rock has some

Jon Read 16 Jun 2019

Profit of Doom (E4 6b) ?

Can't immediately think of any perfect granite corners in Scotland or Cornwall, but there must be some.

Macca_7 16 Jun 2019

Get yourself to nesscliffe!

There's some corners there to go at!

How about:

Nectar (E4 6b)

Robert Durran 16 Jun 2019
 nniff 16 Jun 2019

Venom

Venom (E3 6a)

Darron 16 Jun 2019

Memory may be hazy but First Slip (E1 5c)?

Damn - I literally had five routes to suggest and they’re the last five suggested!

Profit of Doom tbh is easier by other means, but if you eschew those then it fits.

jcm

Michael Hood 16 Jun 2019

Not done it but hasn't Ten Degrees North (E2 5c) got a groove that requires friction bridging that loads of people rave about.

mike barnard 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

Unfortunately not - it's definitely reliant on holds. A couple that spring to mind are Excellence By Design (E2 5c) and Louie Groove (E1 5b)

Dave Cundy 16 Jun 2019

How about Orifice Fish (E4 5c), put up by Kev Stephens.

In reply to Darron:

Yes, I think First Slip is a contender.

John2 16 Jun 2019

Cocytus Cocytus (6c) has superb friction bridging at the start.

petegunn 16 Jun 2019
In reply to petegunn:

I don’t know that I’d call that friction bridging!

jcm

The first section of the final pitch on Direct Route (VS 5b) would fit. Fine climb.

T.

robert-hutton 16 Jun 2019

Xanadu Direct at millstone, superb if clean

Post edited at 19:09
 sparkass 17 Jun 2019

what you training for? The Shadow or the Teflon?

Mark Kemball 17 Jun 2019

Vulcan (E4 6a) - it's been a long time since I climbed it, but if I remember it may well fit the bill.

Pkrynicki1984 17 Jun 2019

Louie Groove (E1 5b) maybe not the best in the UK?

Post edited at 14:10
 Andy Hardy 17 Jun 2019

German Schoolgirl (E2 5c) ?

Not done it, but it's a corner, and lots of photos show some bridging...

Post edited at 14:47
 neilh 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Mark Kemball:

ICompared with venom ,vulcan should not be on the list!

Pekkie 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Darron:

> First Slip. Loved that route. Mainly did it on rib but once tried to go up the groove on a wet day. Friction bridging indeed. Slid off and ended up eyeballing  a surprised Paul Bolger who was belaying. 

ilw 17 Jun 2019

10 degrees north on the mot  and last slip at Avon are a bit that way as far as I can remember

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 17 Jun 2019

Zukator (E4 6b) or one of those routes has the climbing up the inside of an egg shell pitch.

Ten Degrees North (E2 5c) has a short lived bridging section.

The Quarryman (E8 7a) groove pitch, you can ab in and top rope it. Although more frictionless friction climbing.

My plantar fasciitis is acting up just from reading this thread. 

ashtond6 18 Jun 2019

Not sure Louie Groove of leg slip will help you for the Teflon or the shadow, James  

Great list to start!

In reply to Mark Reeves:

My memory of Zukator is that the crux involved more than just friction bridging. I followed John Syrett up that, but he swum up the crux so quickly and easily that I didn't really get any clues from him how to do it. The way I struggled up it could be described as semi-desperate contortionism!

Jon Stewart 18 Jun 2019

Those types of routes are my absolute worst nightmare! Looking up and having absolutely nothing to aim for...

Very short, but Micro Corner (f7A) gives a couple of contorted moves. 

OP James Oswald 19 Jun 2019
In reply to all:

Thanks for your responses. 

It seems to me that many of the suggestions are technical bridging routes rather(German schoolgirl) than friction bridging routes (the shadow in Squamish, book of hate in Yosemite). I will look into the other suggestions though.

https://gripped.com/news/adam-ondra-sends-book-hate-5-13d-trad-yosemite/ 

This makes me think that there aren't many pure friction bridging routes in the UK - I guess it's because we don't have much granite? 

Thanks all, any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Post edited at 12:32
 Andy Moles 28 Jun 2019

I feel like there must be some on Arran, or in the Cairngorms, or the Etive Slabs, or the Mournes...but I can't think what they are, so maybe there aren't.

In reply to Andy Moles:

I was thinking the same thing and the one one that sprung to mind was P1+2 of The Pinch Direct (E3 5c) on the Etive Slabs, but I'm not sure if it strictly fit within the  criteria - just depends on what your view of 'bridging' is (i.e. does it have to be with feet either side of a corner, or could it be using your body + arms as well?).

Pinch Direct fits the latter, with your arms spanning and your body tight up against the corner, with your feet walking progressively up a slender gangway - no footholds whatsoever - completely harrowing. Certainly haven't done anything anyway near this pure in the UK, but suspect there's pitches abound like this all around Squamish and it'd certainly be great training.

When it comes to the Cairngorms my initial thought was Thor (E5 6b), but whilst it does go up a corner I'm not sure whether you actually bridge it. My final thought was from the other end of the country with The West Face (E5 6b) in Bosigran's Great Zawn. I did it last year and that's got some pretty conceptual frictioneering throughout its second (crux) pitch.

Much like you though I keep thinking there's loads of things I've missed, but maybe not?!

Either way, great thread Wald!

p.s. I don't suppose you've done Agony (E2 5c) have you Andy? Always presumed this climbed more like slab, but I might be wrong - it does go up a corner after all...

Sl@te Head 28 Jun 2019

The groove pitch on...The Rock Bottom Line (7b+)

youtube.com/watch?v=pool3YXNLEQ&

A bit of a beginners The Quarryman (E8 7a)

Post edited at 12:42
 Mick Ward 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Andy Moles:

> I feel like there must be some on Arran, or in the Cairngorms, or the Etive Slabs, or the Mournes...

Eye of the Tiger, on Wee Binnian. Blankish corner - in the Nectar mould.

Mick

Jon Greengrass 28 Jun 2019

Not in the UK, but check out this photo of an astonishing holdless groove on Simon Nadin's instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzAgpbCjP8X/?igshid=98gjrt0ogbdc

Dave Garnett 28 Jun 2019

I've just remembered this:

Blank Expression (E5 6a)

I seem to remember it being fairly precarious.  However, it was a while ago and maybe someone who's done it more recently can confirm whether it's contaminated by microcrimps. 

redjerry 28 Jun 2019

Not really on topic, but Red Rocks and nearby Paradise Forks both have a fantastic collections of pure stemming routes (especially in the E4/5/6 range) if you're ever in that region of the USA.

OP James Oswald 29 Jun 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Sadly I'm not returning to Squamish again soon, just on the lookout for the pure friction smearing corners (like easier versions of the shadow). I'll have a look at the routes you suggest

I think in general there's not many of these in the UK - I think they are mostly on granite of the sort you find in other countries. 

Thanks all for suggestions

Baron Weasel 30 Jun 2019

Lovely photo of the top pitch of direct route dinas mot in this article

http://verticallife.co.uk/classic-crags-dinas-mot/

Michael Hood 30 Jun 2019
In reply to Baron Weasel:

First time I did Direct I left my EBs (it was that long ago) in the hut and led it in a pair of trainers that had lost virtually all the tread. Start of the top pitch was "interesting", every time I got into a bridged position, both feet would slowly slide down before I could reach the proper holds. Took many goes before I managed to just reach the holds before the shoe slide

Baron Weasel 03 Jul 2019

I've not done it, but what about the Peapod at Curbar?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...