DMM wanted to improve on their super light Phantom carabiner and this is what they had in mind when they started to design the Alpha Light. (Maybe they should have called it the Phantom light!)
They were after a larger size trad rock climbing biner with all the weight advantages of the Phantom, but with better handling and a bigger gate opening. So they kinked the backbone to increase the gate opening and put a grooved pattern on the outside of the biner under the natural holding positions. Basically a lighter version of the Alpha, 6g lighter to be precise. That's 12g per quickdraw, not to be scoffed at!
The functionality improvements did not end there though a clean nose design was also added to reduce snagging when clipping or unclipping. All in all they didn't do too bad a job!
The quickdraws come with one silver and one BLT (Bright Light Titanium) biner, the BLT is held in a captive rubber at the rope end of the quickdraw sling so you always know which end to clip into the rope.
DMM Alpha Light Quickdraw Features and Specifications:
- Ultra lightweight clean nosed wire gate biner
- Strong and super lightweight I-Beam construction
- Safer, deeper rope basket
- Easy to handle, grippy shape
- Generous 8.5mm rope radius
- Clean nose profile to reduce snagging
- Available as an 11mm Dyneema quickdraw in 12cm, 18cm or 25cm lengths
- Strength (Gate Closed): 24kN
- Strength (Gate Open): 9kN
- Strength (Minor Axis): 7kN
- Gate Opening: 25mm
- Weight: 73g (12cm)