UKC

Seriously soft VS needed snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 24 Oct 2016
I wish I could blame a sheepish partner for needing a soft vs, but I probably couldn't pull 5a moves right now either and am not looking for a fight.

What are Mur y Niwl and one step in the clouds like?

Got any recommendations?
Thanks
 deacondeacon 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

>

> Got any recommendations?

>
Do a route that's easier than a VS?
There's plenty of great routes from diff-hs.

galpinos 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

I was going to say the same as Deacon, try an HS?

(Or just have a crack at a VS, there are rarely 5a moves on VSs, especially in Wales, the land of the soft touch........)
 CurlyStevo 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:
Nea Just do pitches 1 and 2 and ab. Third is scrappy
Dives / Better Things is also soft at VS

Valyries Rib at HS isn't much easier than these and is also good.

One step in the clouds is quite tricky delicate climbing for VS on pitch 2 with slightly spaced gear although not super bold. It is also very good. I hear there has been rockfall on pitch 1 btw but I see its still getting ticked.
Post edited at 16:23
 Skyfall 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

One Step has of course suffered serious rockfall (the v groove has gone). Although I've not done it since, I gather it is still cimbable ata bout VS but is a bit harder.

If at Tremadog, the Micah Eliminate finish to Christmas Curry is pretty toppy at HS, almost VS in my book. Grim Wall is another excellent route - steep but juggy P2 with loads of pro.
 Skyfall 24 Oct 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Is Dives/Better Things VS now? Excellent route all the same (HS when I did it). I still remember being bridged out in the groove of the top pitch looking down through my legs at the road all the way below. Outrageous position for a HS.
Post edited at 16:29
 Hat Dude 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Mur y Niwl isn't somewhere to be messing about if you're not steady at VS
 CurlyStevo 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

Dunno - its VS on here anyways.
 GrahamD 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Mur y Niwl is not soft and you would be lucky to get it warm enough at this time of year.

Can't remember which is VS out of Oxo or Bovine but that might suit.
 ianstevens 24 Oct 2016
In reply to galpinos:
> I was going to say the same as Deacon, try an HS?

> (Or just have a crack at a VS, there are rarely 5a moves on VSs, especially in Wales, the land of the soft touch........)

You must be joking. Wales (outside of the quarries) is typically pretty fair for the grade - as for those in the Peak who think they're 'ard, that's another matter (i.e. Peak grades are generally soft IMO).

To the OP: I wrote a big article on Tremadog VS's back in the spring, have a look for that and it should give you some pointers. some on the RHS of the crag are definately at the lower end of VS. One Step is still VS, and actually hasn't changed greatly in character since the block tumbling. Mur y Niwl will be cold and/or wet at this time of year and is far from soft. If you want a soft one, Equinox or Seamstress (both in the quarries) are incredibly easy and should have been downgraded yonks ago.

Edit: link for shamelss self-promotion: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=8278
Post edited at 16:39
 CurlyStevo 24 Oct 2016
In reply to ianstevens:
I think at VS and HVS of the climbs I've done they are probably about the same as peak grades if you don't live close to either venue. Typically grit may be more smeary / balancy on slabs or down right awkward on the cracks especially at HVS, whilst N Wales tends more to proper climbing on holds a style which I prefer to be honest. Being in the mountains I'm not surprised to find run out sections in N Wales especially on the slabs.

I would say in the easier grades N Wales may be tougher grading.
Post edited at 16:55
 deacondeacon 24 Oct 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> I think at VS and HVS of the climbs I've done they are probably about the same as peak grades if you don't live close to either venue. Typically grit may be more smeary / balancy on slabs or down right awkward on the cracks whilst N Wales tends more to proper climbing on holds a style which I prefer to be honest. Being in the mountains I'm not surprised to find run out sections in N Wales especially on the slabs.

> I would say in the easier grades N Wales may be tougher grading.

I'd agree with you. In the easier grades they tend to feel stiff for the grade but once you get into the E grades they feel about right or often soft.
Of the harder routes I've done in Wales you can often find yourself with the potential of a big fall on a tricky move. When this happens on grit it's often that the floor will stop you rather than the rope!

Caveat: I haven't actually done loads of climbing in Wales, and I'm a self-confessed soft touch hunter

brianjcooper 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> What are Mur y Niwl and one step in the clouds like?

The second pitch traverse of Mur y Niwl is not well protected, so probably not a good choice at the moment.
Save it for the future and enjoy it then. Several good VSs at Tremadoc, and closer to the café too.

summo 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

A soft touch VS is one that favours your best style of climbing, jamming, delicate slabs, laybacks etc... a tough VS is one that challenges your weaknesses.

Or think of climbing grades as a pyramid, to hit VS you need rock type, protection, route descriptions etc.. before you move up a grade.
 DerwentDiluted 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Or you could look at Main Wall (HS 4b) which is a HS that punches above its weight. Good day out pretty much guaranteed.
 GrahamD 24 Oct 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

A very good day out guaranteed in late October if all you feel up to is a soft VS !
OP zimpara 24 Oct 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> A very good day out guaranteed in late October if all you feel up to is a soft VS !

Haha and it got rained on today!
OP zimpara 24 Oct 2016
In reply to summo:

> A soft touch VS is one that favours your best style of climbing, jamming, delicate slabs, laybacks etc... a tough VS is one that challenges your weaknesses.

> Or think of climbing grades as a pyramid, to hit VS you need rock type, protection, route descriptions etc.. before you move up a grade.

Nice post. Appreciate it!
 Lord_ash2000 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

They are generally known as hard serves. Plenty of good ones to choose from.

Why do you need to climb something given VS even though it probably isn't really?
 Kirill 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Mur y Niwl is not soft! It gets HVS in the Ground Up guidebook, and deserves it in my opinion.
 JayPee630 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

That's a really odd request? Do you need to climb a soft touch so you can boast?
 Misha 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Mur y Niwl isn't somewhere to be messing about if you're not steady at VS

And it won't be a nice place to be at this time of year, being a mountain crag.
 Mick Ward 24 Oct 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

Well so far all zimpara's 'boasting' about is not going very well at the moment - a predicament which most (all?) of us will face at one time or another. So maybe he deserves our sympathy and goodwill for his honesty.

If it was me, I'd drop down to V Diff and Severe (or anything!), get lots of mileage, regain confidence and build back up again.

But I realise that many people feel if they climb something of a particular grade, it's a fillip to get them going again.

Better surely that zimpara (and others reading this thread with similar ideas?) get on something at Tremadog or the Pass and leave the likes of Main Wall and Mur y Niwl until the days are longer.

Mick
 The Ivanator 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:
Seamstress (VS 4c) is well protected and pretty straightforward at the grade, on quick drying Slate as well. I thought Zip Groove (VS 4b) was a pretty soft touch, 4b and enough gear, next to it Cracked Arete (VS 4c) is brilliant, but more of a middle of the grade offering. Lighthouse Arete (VS 4b) is another with a reputation for being soft in the grade, but I've not done it, and it does involve the complications of the sea and abseil approach.
From the OP I would agree with earlier posters - avoid Mur y Niwl (verging on HVS, serious and unlikely to be in nick). One Step I climbed before the rockfall and thought low/mid VS, I found good gear tended to come just after each difficult sequence though, so a steady leading head is definitely helpful.
Post edited at 19:21
 Sean Kelly 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

On Dinas Mot there is Western Slabs, Lorraine and the Cracks (top pitch VS) but it might require some drying out and gets little sun at this time of year.
 wbo 24 Oct 2016
In reply to the Ivanator: seamstress used to be given HVS and Seams the same E2 - that was some soft grading [

Wayne S 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:
Merlin (VS 5a) (4c if you take LH start)
Scratch (VS 4c)

At Tremadog are probably a touch easier than One Step.

Creagh Dhu Wall (HS 4b) is well worth a look.

Dives/Better Things (HS 4b) @ Dinas Cromlech is a great route, Hard @ HS or Easy at VS, take your pick.
Nea (VS 4b) already mentioned is steady if dry.
Equinox (VS 4c) and Seamstress (VS 4c) are steady if tuned into Slate.
Lighthouse Arete (VS 4b) for adventure but steady climbing

Hard to be too precise as I don't really know what you like in a route?

Some to avoid migh be:

Striptease (VS 5a)
Shadrach (VS 4c)
Sabre Cut (VS 4c)
Mur y Niwl (VS 4c)
Post edited at 19:44
 Mike-W-99 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Wayne S:

> Creagh Dhu Wall (HS 4b) is well worth a look.
Good shout, got my foot stuck at one point!

> Some to avoid migh be:
> Striptease (VS 5a)
Erm yes. Entertaining and very 3d! Thought this was really good but not a soft touch by any means.

I dont remember the grim wall putting up much of a struggle.
 Rog Wilko 24 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Mur y Niwl is anything but a soft touch.
In reply to zimpara:

At this time of year the Moelwyns are a good bet. Pinky is a good VS, Kirkus Climb Direct and Slack are good severes as is Whitestreak / Honeysuckle Corner Combo. Ashael, Double Criss & Inverted Staircase are good hard severe / VS's. Oh and there's Orange Outang, Slick, Space Beolw My Feet, Y Gelynen et al all two or three star routes and nothing harder than HVS.

Quite often the crags are sheltered and the rock is so rough, clean and with good gear - easy descents and a decent cafe by the reservoir - enjoy
 Ann S 25 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Does it have to be Snowdonia. At this time if year I would recommend Holyhead mountain on Anglesea. Some good quality mainly single pitch climbs around the VS grade. Tension VS4b might be a good start.
 Mark Kemball 25 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Someone mentioned Oxo and Bovine, I'd go for the combination - Oxine (VS 4c) superb, wonderful top pitch, looks mad, but it's jugs all the way.
In reply to Allanfairfechan:

I would just like to second this contribution. The moelwynion seem to fit the bill nicely: great climbing through vdiff to hvs, with the option of upping the grade if you like the style of climbing on pockets or dropping down a grade or two if it rains without losing quality or too much grip.

All the routes mentioned are excellent and worthwhile. just to add my own 2p: asahel with the eagle finish goes at vs 4b and takes you through some amazing positions, almost worth the walk up to Clipiau just to do that route!
 Kid Spatula 25 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Munich Climb or Belle Vue Bastion

(snicker)
pasbury 25 Oct 2016
In reply to wbo:

> seamstress used to be given HVS and Seams the same E2 - that was some soft grading [

The cracks were also full of shards and not nearly so well protected.
baron 25 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:
Beware. Some people would appear to be attempting to sandbag/kill you!
 Dave Garnett 25 Oct 2016
In reply to Kid Spatula:
> Munich Climb or Belle Vue Bastion

> (snicker)

I thought Belle Vue Bastion was pretty straightforward but then as I recall Lightning Visit and Lavaredo at Carreg Alltrem were entry level VS and Lavaredo is 5a now apparently.

I think Oxine fits the bill, as Marks says. Looks steep but short of letting go deliberately I can't see how you can fall off it.

Otherwise, there are those filler-in VS starts on the Idwal Slabs that are very straightforward as long as you have no imagination and want to be able to tick off the grade.

Edit: I've just remembered Red Slab on Gallt yr Ogof. Red Slab itself and Red Pepper are only given 4b. And Teryn Bluffs: Via Media on Craig Aderyn - very slabby and the hard bits are avoidable.
Post edited at 10:44
 The Ivanator 25 Oct 2016
In reply to Kid Spatula:

Actually Belle Vue Bastion (VS 4c) is (climbing wise) a relatively mild VS, but going for a high mountain route late in the season with a complicated approach may not be the ideal confidence builder the OP is looking for.
Munich Climb (HVS 5a) seems to be generally (and I suspect rightly) accepted at HVS these days.

CurlyStevo 25 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:
If you want a great multipitch route that could well be dry just get on tennis shoe at HS. You'll love it.

IF you are going well there are some easier and harder climbs you can enchain above. Be careful of Javelin Buttress as its quite easy to get a little lost on the route and end up doing a boldish / committing 5a move with gear below your feet.
Post edited at 11:42
 ianstevens 25 Oct 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> I think at VS and HVS of the climbs I've done they are probably about the same as peak grades if you don't live close to either venue. Typically grit may be more smeary / balancy on slabs or down right awkward on the cracks especially at HVS, whilst N Wales tends more to proper climbing on holds a style which I prefer to be honest. Being in the mountains I'm not surprised to find run out sections in N Wales especially on the slabs.

> I would say in the easier grades N Wales may be tougher grading.

I ws mainly stirring the pot - I actually think they're quite similar. I find slabs in the Peak a bit easy for the grade sometimes, but maybe I'm just suited to them.
 ianstevens 25 Oct 2016
In reply to The Ivanator:

> Seamstress (VS 4c) is well protected and pretty straightforward at the grade, on quick drying Slate as well. I thought Zip Groove (VS 4b) was a pretty soft touch, 4b and enough gear, next to it Cracked Arete (VS 4c) is brilliant, but more of a middle of the grade offering. Lighthouse Arete (VS 4b) is another with a reputation for being soft in the grade, but I've not done it, and it does involve the complications of the sea and abseil approach.

IMO Lighthouse Arete only sneaks into the VS bracket because of the abseil/sea complications. Would be HS anywhere else.
 Mick Ward 25 Oct 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Totally agree. It's a lovely route but what if the OP goes all that way, gets down there and finds out there's a big swell running?

(A little bit of mildly relevant history. I abbed down The Trap once - it was soaking wet - on a bitter day in January and got overtaken by a giant wave at the start of Britomartis. The world went green and frigid! Higher up on the route, one of my gear loops snapped (it was an old piece of cord from a cake tin my mum had sent) and all the right-sized gear went straight into the sea. So, no more runners! I squelched my way upwards, in a howling wind, just loving every moment.)

Lighthouse Arete might be another one maybe for next summer when hopefully the OP's going well and can enjoy all those other nearby routes. When things are right, it's pure delight down there.

Mick
 ianstevens 25 Oct 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Totally agree. It's a lovely route but what if the OP goes all that way, gets down there and finds out there's a big swell running?

Well that's why it is VS - I wouldn't want to be doing it any time between now and March (mostly to avoid getting chilly) and I've got a few grades in hand. However, if there is miracle resulting in a warm day with a pancake sea and some friendly tides, it could be a good move.

> (A little bit of mildly relevant history. I abbed down The Trap once - it was soaking wet - on a bitter day in January and got overtaken by a giant wave at the start of Britomartis. The world went green and frigid! Higher up on the route, one of my gear loops snapped (it was an old piece of cord from a cake tin my mum had sent) and all the right-sized gear went straight into the sea. So, no more runners! I squelched my way upwards, in a howling wind, just loving every moment.)

Sounds like a cracking day out!

> Lighthouse Arete might be another one maybe for next summer when hopefully the OP's going well and can enjoy all those other nearby routes. When things are right, it's pure delight down there.

> Mick

Trangia 25 Oct 2016
In reply to Kid Spatula:

> (snicker)

Munich Climb had a terrible reputation pre modern protection. The old guide book actually stated something like "there have been too many fatalities on this climb". Technically it's not that hard, but it's very exposed, particularly the traverse left after stepping boldly round the corner from the belay ledge, where it is tricky to construct good anchors, and leading to the bottom of Teufel's Crack. Technically at 4a this traverse is easier than the crux pitch below (4c), but this is where the fatalities occurred with at least twice leaders falling and pulling their seconds off. Your mind is concentrated by the guide book warning which makes it seem hard.

Interestingly Munich was one of my first VS leads and at the time when I hadn't read the guide book I didn't find this pitch too daunting. However I repeated the climb, again leading, some 10 years later having first read the (old) guide book warning and I was a quaking jelly on the pull round onto the nose that time.

Interesting how much psychology affects your climbing!!
Post edited at 18:38
 David Jones 25 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Surely Yogi at Tremadog is one of the most straightforward in the area. At Ogwen Decameron Rib only has one short testing bit. Likewise Yellow Groove in the Pass.
OP zimpara 28 Oct 2016
In reply to baron:

I had a feeling they were!

Cheers for all the suggestions everyone.
 Charlie Low 28 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:
The Cracks (HS 4c) on Dinas Mot is an awesome HS, really interesting climbing but not very hard (apart from the last move!).
Post edited at 13:02
 jsmcfarland 28 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

but Zimpara I thought you climbed 7b? That spray vid of you doing some indoor 7 route certainly gave that impression..
OP zimpara 28 Oct 2016
In reply to jsmcfarland:

Haha piss off
 galpinos 28 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

If you're going this weekend, remember the Snowdon Marathon is on and the Pass (and other roads) will be closed.

In reply to Trangia:

> Munich Climb had a terrible reputation pre modern protection. The old guide book actually stated something like "there have been too many fatalities on this climb". Technically it's not that hard, but it's very exposed, particularly the traverse left after stepping boldly round the corner from the belay ledge, where it is tricky to construct good anchors, and leading to the bottom of Teufel's Crack. Technically at 4a this traverse is easier than the crux pitch below (4c), but this is where the fatalities occurred with at least twice leaders falling and pulling their seconds off. Your mind is concentrated by the guide book warning which makes it seem hard.

I remember, when I did it about 30 years ago, you could get a good nut before the traverse left, so it didn't seem too bad at all.
OP zimpara 28 Oct 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Not everyone is Gordon Stainforth though.
 Trangia 28 Oct 2016

Agreed which is what I did first time round before I had read the guide book, but that wasn't my point, it was the psychological effect of knowing it was a death route the second time that unnerved me.
 Mick Ward 28 Oct 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I felt the same way about Quietus - well, not so much that it was a death route but that Dave Sales had died on it. I'd shot up Old Friends, seconding, and was somewhat coerced into going on it. I can only remember arranging two pieces of gear, one at the top of the slab and one in the roof. Steve Bancroft had told me, "Don't go past the one in the roof unless it's cold welded." Good advice!

But I was freaked out. I've always been freaked out about roofs. Too much soloing, I suppose, whereas on roofs it's either up or off. And a big crowd below didn't help. Even though I knew I was going to get it, there was still a horrible sense of intimidation which I've never experienced on any other route. Unsurprisingly I've not been back.

Mick
In reply to zimpara:

> Not everyone is Gordon Stainforth though.

I was surely very average.
In reply to Trangia:

> Agreed which is what I did first time round before I had read the guide book, but that wasn't my point, it was the psychological effect of knowing it was a death route the second time that unnerved me.

Those famous accidents occurred because the second was facing in using a shoulder or waist belay, and when the leader fell past him (i.e. behind him) from the lip of the overhang, the rope was snatched from his hands. We were all belaying facing out by the late-60s, and one could probably have got nut protection above the right side of the overhang by the late 50s.

In reply to Mick Ward:

The 'death route' that freaked me out (about three fatalities by the late 60s) was Mike's Mistake at Avon Gorge. As a result, I never had the guts to lead it.
 Mick Ward 28 Oct 2016

These things can really mess with your mind; if so, best leave 'em.

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward:

Exactly. Not worth the risk if one doesn't feel up to it psychologically. BTW, I left Hargreaves Orig Route/ Black Slab for years (until there was modern pro) for same reason - several deaths.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...