UKC

Stats question - list most popular routes by grade

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Wakeham 27 Feb 2022

Is there a trivial way to generate lists of the most popular routes at a given grade?

I want to end up with a list of the 50 most popular Mods, the 50 most popular Diffs, and so on, up to VS.  I can't see an obvious way to do this from the logbook stats page but perhaps I'm missing something.

Or is there a way to download the number of ascents and manipulate it in Excel?  That would be fairly straightforward.

OP Jamie Wakeham 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Optimistic weekday bump..?

remus Global Crag Moderator 28 Feb 2022

Pretty sure there isn't a way to do this without someone from UKC/Rockfax querying the database directly.

OP Jamie Wakeham 01 Mar 2022
In reply to remus:

Yeah, I have convinced myself that it's not possible for a normal user to get at it (I had hope it might be).

I wonder if one of the UKC elves might pick up on this?  It's not critical but it would be helpful for a project I'm working on.  And it would be interesting in general, I think.  I'm sure I can guess quite a few of the top 50 at each grade but I bet there'll be some surprises as well.

OP Jamie Wakeham 02 Mar 2022

Last hopeful bump and then I'll drop it.  If anyone who has database access can help, that would be great - I would simply need an excel file containing route name / grade / number of logged ascents and I could do the rest.

Sorry Jamie, missed this.

Have emailed you the results.

cheers

In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

Ah - got it - thank you very much!  Really appreciated.

I'm having a quick play with the data now.  Anyone fancy a shot at guessing the top ten routes?

Moacs 02 Mar 2022

More than 50% on grit I expect?

Christmas Crack at S

Flying buttress at VD

Inverted V at (grudgingly) VS 

Sunset Slab or TPS at HVS or, just possibly, DoWH

Long Tall Sally at E1

Wuthering at E2?

Actually, change my bet to 90% drawn from Classic/Hard rock

Post edited at 14:40
 Offwidth 02 Mar 2022

Good Game:

Easy: High Neb Gully, Stanage (not in top 10)

Mod: Overhanging Buttress Arete, Burb N,  or Martello Cracks, Stanage (No Mod will be in the Top 10)

Diff: Black Slab Right, Stanage (No Diff will be in the top 10)

VD: Flying Buttress Stanage (HVD in Rockfax) or Little Chamonix

HVD: Heather Wall (Froggatt...or Flying Buttress as above)

S: Black Hawk Hell Crack (Stanage)

HS: Christmas Crack (Stanage) or Sunset Crack (Froggatt) 

VS: Hargreaves Original (Stanage)

..others from:  Hollybush Crack, VD, Stanage; Heaven Crack, VD, Stanage; Manchester Buttress, HS, Stanage; Heather Wall, VS, Stanage; Inverted V, VS,  Stanage,

In reply to Offwidth:

I thought it might be fun!  I shan't say anything for a little while to avoid spoilers.

Martin Hore 02 Mar 2022

Tricky if you leave the Grit because the best easier routes off-grit are mostly multi-pitch. That means fewer of these routes per person in a lifetime (because they take longer), which I think translates to fewer ascents, everything else being equal. 

But I'd suggest Little Chamonix (with Offwidth), Middlefell Buttress, Flying Buttress (Cromlech) and Hope as possibles. If they had trad grades I think some of the popular southern sandstone routes might qualify. Likewise some sport routes at Horseshoe, although they may not have been around long enough.

Martin

ianstevens 02 Mar 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Absolutely none of those. I’d suspect the list is 100% grit because condition, ease of access, single pitch and proximity to two big cities. 

So, thus far no-one has mentioned the second most popular multipitch in the UK.  It caught me out, too.

But yes, it's massively dominated by grit, and frankly by Stanage.  21 of the top 30 are Stanage, and five of the remainder are grit.  It becomes a bit more varied after the top 30. 

I didn't include sport, but it looks like they are quite a long way down the list (there's an element of reporting bias here, I suspect).  I've just looked up a couple of popular sport routes: Fallen Slab Arete would come in at #74, Reptile Smile #110, Pale Rider #117.

Moacs 02 Mar 2022

> So, thus far no-one has mentioned the second most popular multipitch in the UK.  It caught me out, too.

Troutdale Pinnacle?

AlanLittle 02 Mar 2022
In reply to Moacs:

Or something on Idwal Slabs.

In reply to AlanLittle:

It's Welsh, but not on Idwal... or Tryfan for that matter.

Moacs 02 Mar 2022

Spiral stairs or Milestone Buttress ordinary?

Deako 02 Mar 2022

One step in the clouds? 

Cornish boy 02 Mar 2022

Amphitheatre Buttress? 

In reply to Deako:

> One step in the clouds? 

Winner.  I was surprised to see it quite so high!

RobAJones 02 Mar 2022

> Winner.  I was surprised to see it quite so high!

I was surprised it was above Christmas Curry, but see that was a split vote with the Micah Finish 

In reply to RobAJones:

Ah - good point.  If you combine the two then it jumps right to #5 in the list!

For those who wanted to see it - the most logged 100 mod to VS routes in the UK:

Graeme Hammond 02 Mar 2022

There is already a tip 20 of most logged routes both grit and other rock types in all user stats

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/graphs.php

Post edited at 23:47
 Doug 03 Mar 2022

Not much from Scotland !

ianstevens 03 Mar 2022
In reply to Cornish boy:

> Amphitheatre Buttress? 

With that walk in?? People are, on average, lazy, and the stats will reflect that.

ianstevens 03 Mar 2022

Really? Classic, near the road, pretty much always in good condition, and soft for the grade. Perfect way to boost the numbers. 

OP Jamie Wakeham 03 Mar 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

Yeah, I just thought that popular routes on Ogwen venues like Idwal, Tryfan East face, Milestone, would be ahead of it.  Perhaps I have underestimated the magical climate of Tremadog!

RobAJones 03 Mar 2022

I was intrigued as to whether the top pitch of Troutdale Pinnacle has seen more ascents than any other pitch It seems to fall just short of Little Cham. even if I assume no one abs off the pinnacle. 

Offwidth 11 Mar 2022

Cheers Jamie. So I was wrong on the Mod and Diff.... what about the Easy?

OP Jamie Wakeham 11 Mar 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

I'm afraid I didn't ask Andy for Easy routes... I'd be interested to know though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...